Feature request: Sonos iPhone app and Apple Music plugin - no organization

Badge +1

It would be very nice if the Apple Music plugin for the Sonos app in iPhoneOS allowed better control - for example, if you’re browsing albums by an artist, there is no way to sort alphabetically, date released, etc. Also, when an artist has a ton of releases (usually a lot of singles), the process is a big mess - it would be very helpful to allow sorting by album/single/live release, etc. There should also be a shuffle feature to play all the music by an artist randomly.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge +17

Hi @neuropathy,

Thanks for your request.

Any content displayed inside of a music service within the Sonos app is controlled by the service themselves. They decide which content to show and how it should be displayed. I suggest letting Apple know you’d like to see this additional sorting functionality on Sonos as it’s ultimately their choice how their service is delivered to the end user :slight_smile:

Badge +1

I think I mixed things up - I don’t think this is actually the Apple Music plugin at all. I think it’s Sonos system. 

I’m only using the search (magnifying glass icon in iPhone Sonos app) in Sonos to find an artist, then selecting the artist in the results Sonos gives for each service. I choose the artist under Apple Music, then search for an album. I don’t think this part of the Sonos system is delivered by Apple Music; I think it’s Sonos’ system at this point. I’m not browsing the different services (the eighth note icon in the iPhone Sonos app, then Apple Music) - I never use that feature. I only “search” and pick the artists under the Apple Music service. I think Sonos can fix this so that the albums can be viewed in a much more organized way. I checked the actual Apple Music plugin (service) in the Sonos app and found that it is organized quite well, but it doesn’t allow you to search for music that hasn’t already been added to your library, since the Sonos app itself has a search function that brings up results from the Apple Music service. Please add the ability to sort albums properly (live, single, EP, comp, etc.) 

Thank you

Badge +17

I think I mixed things up - I don’t think this is actually the Apple Music plugin at all. I think it’s Sonos system. 

I’m only using the search (magnifying glass icon in iPhone Sonos app) in Sonos to find an artist, then selecting the artist in the results Sonos gives for each service. I choose the artist under Apple Music, then search for an album. I don’t think this part of the Sonos system is delivered by Apple Music; I think it’s Sonos’ system at this point. I’m not browsing the different services (the eighth note icon in the iPhone Sonos app, then Apple Music) - I never use that feature. I only “search” and pick the artists under the Apple Music service. I think Sonos can fix this so that the albums can be viewed in a much more organized way. I checked the actual Apple Music plugin (service) in the Sonos app and found that it is organized quite well, but it doesn’t allow you to search for music that hasn’t already been added to your library, since the Sonos app itself has a search function that brings up results from the Apple Music service. Please add the ability to sort albums properly (live, single, EP, comp, etc.) 

Thank you

When you leave the universal search (the page that shows all of the results from your added services) and tap into a specific service, you’re in a container that is delivered by that service.

So my original advice stands - let Apple know that you’d like their Albums container to have better sorting options inside Sonos, since they are the ones populating and sorting this area. :slight_smile:

Badge +1

Why doesn’t Sonos just use the authentication to pull music and handle sorting and everything in a uniform way instead of leaving it up to all the services? Apple has its own smart speaker - they’re clearly uninterested in developing for Sonos. Sonos should simply handle this for its own good and the good of its users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It’s not for Sonos to “Pull” information that Apple has not authorised, that would be illegal.  It’s for Apple to allow access to that info.  Nothing Sonos can do.  

You can do all the work in the Apple App and use Airplay to direct to your Sonos speakers though.

You hit the nail on the head with Apples strategy.

Badge +1

Yes, we all know how Apple is - well, I guess I’ll have to get an Airplay device.

Badge +1

Are you absolutely sure about this being entirely on Apple? Somehow I remember the search results from Spotify having the same structureless format - no ability to sort by album/single/EP, etc. 

I’m not entirely convinced that I’m being understood here. 

iPhone app - SEARCH (not Services) - selecting an artist from Apple Music search results - albums are all displayed in one big mess of a scroll.

I really don’t appreciate that other people are just going around hitting “Like” on the Party’s responses, which have some nothing other than “we are not going to be able to do anything.” How is that something you would want to “Like” if not only to show scorn for the person who is asking for something very standard that would be expected in such a system?

Moderator edit: removed the name calling per our Community Guidelines

You prefer an insipid “I agree with you and @bockersjv” post instead? Seems like a waste of screen real estate, and additional time from me. Not overly fond of being called a “bootlicker”, either. 

And I am an Apple user, too. But I still agree with yours and @bockersjv assessment of Apple’s strategy. So now I’ve wasted a full blown reply that everyone subscribed to this thread must read, rather than just agreeing with him (and you) by using the “like” function. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are you absolutely sure about this being entirely on Apple? Somehow I remember the search results from Spotify having the same structureless format - no ability to sort by album/single/EP, etc.

Yes, this is 100% Apple’s issue to address. The Sonos app never sorts anything, for so many (good) reasons.

Yes, we all know how Apple is - well, I guess I’ll have to get an Airplay device.

Most Sonos speakers are airplay capable.  I think everything they currently sell is actually airplay.

I really don’t appreciate that other people are just going around hitting “Like” on the Party’s responses, which have some nothing other than “we are not going to be able to do anything.” How is that something you would want to “Like” if not only to show scorn for the person who is asking for something very standard that would be expected in such a system?

As James’s signature states, the Like button is there to mark good posts, mostly so other users reading the forum can more quickly find posts that answer questions.  It does tend to be used for posts people find entertaining or asks good questions.  You do have a point though that people tend not to think about using Like for good questions.  You do have a good question/feature request, but I think the fact that most of the regulars on here have seen that question many times before, are somewhat overlooking that on a subconscious level or something. 

However, ‘liking’ a post isn’t about following the party line at all.  In fact, some of posters on this thread often disagree with Sonos on several different issues.  And if James or other Sonos staff did say something they disagreed with or was just inaccurate, they and others would not hesitate to speak up about it.

Absolutely, positively 100% sure:

https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-get-started/architecture/

Badge +1

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ytb2NnHqvt4?feature=share

That document seems to discuss the services and I’m not sure the results from a search -although pulled from a service- are equally hopeless. Take a look at this. Are you saying that nothing can be done by Sonos developers directly about this? Wouldn’t it behoove Sonos to try to get Apple to do something at least? This is an issue. Why is it so much trouble to allow some organization? Date, alphabetical, release type…

Badge +17

@neuropathy - yes, I know what you’re talking about, but now we have a visual example perhaps this will help things.

At 0:06, you made the transition from the universal search of the Sonos app - which is delivered by Sonos - to the Apple Music service container for Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov’s albums - which is delivered by Apple.

Anything displayed there is delivered by Apple, and remains untouched, unsorted, and unaltered by Sonos. 

Therefore, any requests for how this container is displayed would need to be made to Apple, since Sonos doesn’t control there.

If it’s still not clear, I’m honestly not sure how else to convey the message that it’s not within Sonos’ control. The developer document that jgatie linked above gives you a deeper look at how music delivery works on Sonos should you want to delve into the technical details, but I have nothing else to say on this topic.

Badge +1

I don’t think Sonos should have so much trouble contacting Apple about this simple request. Please don’t condescend to tell me to try standing at their gates - Sonos needs to show that users are having issues with the Apple Music service that could be easily resolved.

I don’t think Sonos should have so much trouble contacting Apple about this simple request. Please don’t condescend to tell me to try standing at their gates - Sonos needs to show that users are having issues with the Apple Music service that could be easily resolved.

Why is it always the case that Apple aficionados first refuse to believe it could ever be Apple’s responsibility, then when shown absolute proof, they change their tune to “Well Sonos should be able to get Apple to change!”, thus putting the impetus off Apple and on Sonos again?  Apple isn’t perfect, and it’s ok to admit that.  

Bottom line:  Apple is wholly responsible for their Apple Music implementation in the Sonos app, Sonos couldn’t change it if they wanted to.  Furthermore, Sonos doesn’t pay Apple anything for their implementation in the Sonos app, so they have no leverage to get them to change it. 

You on the other hand, pay Apple every month for your subscription.  So you are the one with the lever, feel free to use it. 

Badge +1

Oh here we go. Now it’s down to attacking Apple users… I have an iPhone and Apple Music (Spotify wasn’t working well and their policies are horrible for artists). Typical angry droid. You can see why Sonos is losing. It’s really pathetic that Sonos simply can’t be bothered to improve its mediocre product even if it only means asking Apple to make a simple change. Disgraceful. Didn’t even try and you’re pushing it all on me like I’m the only one with this request. I’m not buying anything from Sonos again.

Oh here we go. Now it’s down to attacking Apple users… I have an iPhone and Apple Music (Spotify wasn’t working well and their policies are horrible for artists). Typical angry droid. You can see why Sonos is losing. It’s really pathetic that Sonos simply can’t be bothered to improve its mediocre product even if it only means asking Apple to make a simple change. Disgraceful. Didn’t even try and you’re pushing it all on me like I’m the only one with this request. I’m not buying anything from Sonos again.

How do you know Sonos hasn't done exactly that, and been rebuffed by Apple?  Answer - You don't.  So why don't you get off your high horse and go ask Apple yourself?

Badge +1

How do you know Sonos has? If Sonos has and you know -or someone else knows- that could have been mentioned explicitly. I will contact Apple. 

How do you know Sonos has? If Sonos has and you know -or someone else knows- that could have been mentioned explicitly. I will contact Apple. 

Sonos never comments on their interactions with a Music Partner, especially when it amounts to throwing them under the bus.  But I do know Sonos has a line of communication with their Music Partners, and have been publicly rebuffed in the past, which Sonos had no comment on.  That partner was Spotify, but there is precedent for it happening.

Just quit Apple Music and subscribe to a different service.

For example Deezer helpfully delivers artist discography in reverse chronological order. It also has better search than many services: secondary terms (e.g. song plus artist), incomplete words, misspellings, etc.

To re-iterate earlier points: Deezer’s artist discography and search is external to the Sonos system, with results delivered via the Sonos-service API. 

Badge +1

Well, Apple was being thrown under the bus 100% already. Spotify is an evil company. Apple isn’t so bad. I found an issue in a system when connected to network drives - I contacted Apple and I was surprised how quickly they resolved it.

Badge +1

Just quit Apple Music and subscribe to a different service.

For example Deezer helpfully delivers artist discography in reverse chronological order. It also has better search than many services: secondary terms (e.g. song plus artist), incomplete words, misspellings, etc.

To re-iterate earlier points: Deezer’s artist discography and search is external to the Sonos system, with results delivered via the Sonos-service API. 

I quit Spotify to try Apple Music and I’m very happy with it other than this issue in the Sonos system. I’d like to see a Sonos demonstration of Deezer. Apple Music isn’t worth quitting. It’s included with a lot of other Apple services that family members are using and it’s been excellent. Plenty of lossless music, typically excellent integrations, compatibility with family members’ Apple devices, of course, etc.

Well, Apple was being thrown under the bus 100% already. Spotify is an evil company. Apple isn’t so bad. I found an issue in a system when connected to network drives - I contacted Apple and I was surprised how quickly they resolved it.

No, they aren’t.  You have been told the fact that only Apple can change this.  Nothing accusatory or demeaning towards Apple there.  If Sonos said “We have repeatedly contacted Apple and they refuse to implement these changes”; that would be throwing them under the bus.  Simply put, Sonos chooses to speak only for themselves, it is up to Apple to communicate their side of the story.  

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Deezer HiFi is lossless.

I tried Apple Music some time back and for reasons including the ones you identify didn’t care for it. Back then it didn’t offer lossless either. 

Badge +1

Things change over time. Spotify now has some features that I’d been asking about for years. Apple Music is fine - it doesn’t cost much for the family plan and I have plenty of family members making use of it, as well as the other services in the plan (iCloud, TV, app sharing, etc.)

Deezer hifi is a ripoff and there wouldn’t be a benefit using a Sonos speaker anyway.