Feature Request: Sonos Controller for Apple TV 4(K)

• 28 October 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
We have a home setup with several rooms. Our living room is the center to our home with a surround system centered around playbar. With the TV/playbar and Apple TV 4K almost always on it would be convenient to have the sonos controller available for the Apple TV to control the home audio from there.

As sonos controller is already available for iOS, porting it to apple’s tvOS should be rather easy, right? Any ideas why the sonos controller is not available for Apple TV?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

My idea would be that the number of users that could use that feature is rather small, and would not be a driver of new sales, so Sonos continues to concentrate of features that would impact a larger number of users, and help drive hardware sales.

Wouldn't mind having that feature myself, though.
I would love a Sonos app for the Apple TV because often when I'm listening to music with friends, we're all on our phones surfing through different music resources. It's kinda a buzz kill. We'd much rather be looking at the TV together choosing songs and talking about different things we see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Isn’t there an app for Apple TV though that shows the now playing info.
Yea, there's a third party app. Don't recall the name, but it's not a full controller, as I recall.
Userlevel 3
There is one 1-Star rated third party app that supposedly works as a controller... as it is paid I was scared off by its rating.
Yup, I understand, and share your concerns. Although I'd look into the number of reviews, too....with small numbers, it's too easy for a single person to have a major influence on the overall rating. Not advocating for this app, mind you, just pointing out that there's flaws in any "rating" system. For me, it needs at least 50 to become significant for my personal purposes. Someone with math background might be willing to argue with me on statistics, but that's fine.

But I'll still support your desire to have Sonos create such a thing....without holding out much hope. I've got a friend that I've been pushing to put his own iOS app on to Apple TV, but he argues that their just isn't enough usage out there to justify the expense of porting and maintaining his app in that environment.
Yup, I understand, and share your concerns. Although I'd look into the number of reviews, too....with small numbers, it's too easy for a single person to have a major influence on the overall rating. Not advocating for this app, mind you, just pointing out that there's flaws in any "rating" system. For me, it needs at least 50 to become significant for my personal purposes. Someone with math background might be willing to argue with me on statistics, but that's fine.

I tend to factor in the risk as well. Chances are, the app in question won't work very well. However, if it doesn't you're only out the few bucks you spent on it. You can remove and forget it ever happened. It's not going to break your Sonos or Apple TV.
If you have a Beam, Playbar or Playbase, whatever you’re playing on the AppleTV, Roku, FireTV, etc, will be playing sound via Sonos, and can be grouped with any of your Sonos speakers, as well. So, just use one of the dozens of apps available for those devices, like Spotify.