Answered

Feature request - simple controls on rooms in app

• 23 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Play & pause buttons on individual rooms would be really useful when wanting to shut down various streams, rather than having to open each one.  (And global buttons at the top, for when leaving the house, for example)

icon

Best answer by James L. 23 March 2021, 10:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Jon Crossley, thanks for your suggestion!

I’ll be happy to pass this over to our development teams for consideration. If you have any other suggestions to improve the Sonos experience, please let us know :slight_smile:

A 'pause all rooms' button would be good.  Didn't there used to be one?

But I am not convinced about the main suggestion, which I think would clash confusingly with the concept of grouping.

But I am not convinced about the main suggestion, which I think would clash confusingly with the concept of grouping.

I think the idea would need to be modified slightly to be play/pause for each group or individual room not group (same as the current layout).  The current process is essentially 3 presses (open the group/room, play/pause, then close the group/room), so this one essentially cut it down to 1 press.  it seems simple enough, but without knowing what takes place within the app for a group/room to be the current ‘focus’ of the app, it may not be as easy as it appears at first glance.

Somewhat related, but I tend to only have one room or group playing at a time, and I usually start the audio through automation or voice control.   What annoys me is that when I open the app, it does not automatically focus on the room/group that’s currently playing.  I have to hunt for it (I have 11 rooms).  Why not make a change via voice control?  Usually because I’m changing the volume on a specific room in the group, changing the group, or streaming a service that can’t be controlled via voice (like Sonos radio).

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Jon Crossley, thanks for your suggestion!

I’ll be happy to pass this over to our development teams for consideration. If you have any other suggestions to improve the Sonos experience, please let us know :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply - I think this would be very useful for ease of use. It struck me this is a lot like the Phillips Hue app.  At night I always use the ‘switch off all lights button’ at the top & although of course we can control different lights within rooms (on /off, levels, colours, scenes etc.- translates to stream search, music selection etc), they can be easily simply be turned off or on at the ‘room’ level.  (Also all this can be done when away from the house, but that’s another subject!)

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I think the idea would need to be modified slightly to be play/pause for each group or individual room not group (same as the current layout).  The current process is essentially 3 presses (open the group/room, play/pause, then close the group/room), so this one essentially cut it down to 1 press.  it seems simple enough, but without knowing what takes place within the app for a group/room to be the current ‘focus’ of the app, it may not be as easy as it appears at first glance.

Somewhat related, but I tend to only have one room or group playing at a time, and I usually start the audio through automation or voice control.   What annoys me is that when I open the app, it does not automatically focus on the room/group that’s currently playing.  I have to hunt for it (I have 11 rooms).  Why not make a change via voice control?  Usually because I’m changing the volume on a specific room in the group, changing the group, or streaming a service that can’t be controlled via voice (like Sonos radio).

Agree completely on the auto go-to-currently-playing room.

Out of interest what voice control do you use? We’ve not really got into the habit of voice.  We find both Siri on iPhones & Alexa both so particular about the way you have to say things is easier just to use the app. (Exception ‘Alexa, mute’!)