FEATURE REQUEST : Setting an alarm to a Podcast LATEST Episode

• 16 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi Sonos team,

The only way I found to play podcasts with my current service suscriptions is throught TuneIn, which works fine.

However, when setting an alarm on my Sonos system, in the source/alarm selection, TuneIn shows/podcasts can be used, but when selecting a specific podcast for the alarm, the “recent episodes” appears, and only a specific existing episode can be selected. This is nice but it feels like a limitation considering the dynamic nature of RSS feeds and their usage.

Could there be an option that would select the LATEST episode of a given podcast, and therefore would play dynamically the most recent one even if it hasn’t been published when the alarm was set?

Perhaps this can be implemented with another service provider than TuneIn but the limitation seems to be “by design” in the Sonos alarm source selection (one specific song, one specific playlist, one specific episode...)

I saw such a request from 3 years ago in the archives but couldn’t spot a suggested solution. 

Thanks a million for your consideration!

François 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Whoever owns the TuneIn SMAPI service (either TuneIn or Sonos, not sure) could add an item “Latest” to the parent container to allow Alarms to be set against it. Assuming the underlying database itself has some concept of “latest” for each podcast, it would be easy enough to implement in the SMAPI server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @François Dugois 

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Has this been solved? I don’t really care about the means. The goal is just to have your alarm play the latest pod in the morning on alarm without having to actually play it. So it wakes you up. Like todays news.