Feature Request: Rename AirPlay devices

• 12 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
As a user with many Sonos and Apply TV devices, it can make it difficult to decipher between various AirPlay devices in a single room. For example, I have a Sonos Amp in my living room and an Apple TV. Both show up in the AirPlay share menu as "Living Room" with only the icon of an Apple TV vs Speaker as the way to differentiate between the two. It's not an issue for me, but for my wife and guests, it can be confusing.

As as workaround, I've renamed by Sonos devices from simple "Room Name" to "Room Name Sonos" and the Apple TV's from "Room Name" to "Room Name TV", but it's ugly/redundant in the actual Sonos Controller app and sometimes I hit the character limit. It would be great to be able to rename the device as it presets itself as an AirPlay receiver.

Has anyone else run into this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, thank you for your post. I can definitely see your point and I am glad you've raised this. I'm not an Apple user myself so cannot say I have encountered this. Nonetheless, I will be sure to forward this feedback to the necessary department, we are continually looking at ways to streamline these functionalities on our products. Do let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.

As as workaround, I've renamed by Sonos devices from simple "Room Name" to "Room Name Sonos" and the Apple TV's from "Room Name" to "Room Name TV", but it's ugly/redundant in the actual Sonos Controller app and sometimes I hit the character limit. It would be great to be able to rename the device as it presets itself as an AirPlay receiver.

The same sort of issue is going to occur with every aggregator type app. To clarify, Airplay, Alexa, Samsung Smartthings, Google Home, etc are all going to be taking device names from multiple different sources, and naming conflicts are going to be an issue. Sonos could provide a sort of aggregator room alias to be used for the device name in these apps, but in my mind it makes more sense (in my mind anyway) for the aggregator app to provide the ability to give devices alias's that make sense and are distinct within the context of the aggregator app itself.