Feature request: Reboot All Devices Option

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have assigned new IP numbers to all of my Sonos devices so that they line up prettily in my DHCP server's list. I know that was totally unnecessary but I was bored. So now my system is glitching even after all the DHCP assigned addresses have renewed. I know what is needed, rebooting my tablets running the Controller and all my Sonos devices but that is a real pain due to some of the Sonos devices locations.

What I'd like to see is a "Reboot All Devices" option on the advanced settings menu so I don't have to crawl / climb around the house pulling power plugs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

If I recall correctly, there's a command that can be sent to each device to cause a soft reboot. Don't remember the particulars, but it was associated with the process of pulling that data from the speaker that was cut down somewhat recently. I suppose it's possible that that command was pulled as part of that crackdown as well.

Perhaps ratty or someone of that ilk will chime in.
But to your point, it was per device, not a "all speakers" command.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I could live with per-device option! Getting up on a ladder in one room, down on my knees in a couple others and behind a bunch of other gear for my two ZP-80s is hard on my old body.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Go to http://192.168.0.31:1400/reboot — but substitute the IP addresses for your devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Go to http://192.168.0.31:1400/reboot — but substitute the IP addresses for your devices.
While this is likely the best way to go about this, I am happy to forward this topic as a feature request. An easy to access button could certainly be helpful! Thanks for the feedback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great, problem solved once I create a bunch of bookmarks to the reboot option page.

Is there a master list of all these internal pages somewhere?

I did find this topic here but it is quite old.
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/hidden-pages-at-1400-21361
It would be nice if the speakers were just better, but I guess that's too much to ask. Once they start glitching, music services "cannot be reached", disappear and reappear... it would be nice to just reset the entire system instead of having to hunt down IP addresses and reboot individual devices. I have Sonos in nearly every room and they mostly work great, but the WiFi hardware in them is just deeply deeply subpar. Sad, considering how expensive they are.
It would be nice if the speakers were just better, but I guess that's too much to ask. Once they start glitching, music services "cannot be reached", disappear and reappear... it would be nice to just reset the entire system instead of having to hunt down IP addresses and reboot individual devices. I have Sonos in nearly every room and they mostly work great, but the WiFi hardware in them is just deeply deeply subpar. Sad, considering how expensive they are.
Au contraire.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
mpb42, Much of the Sonos aggravation can be ended with a bit of troubleshooting and fixing of the issues causing the glitches. Most Sonos users have stable systems and few if any problems. If you are having issues and aren't willing to work on solving them then yes Sonos can be frustrating.

The choice is yours.
mpb42, Much of the Sonos aggravation can be ended with a bit of troubleshooting and fixing of the issues causing the glitches. Most Sonos users have stable systems and few if any problems. If you are having issues and aren't willing to work on solving them then yes Sonos can be frustrating.

The choice is yours.

Thanks, but I've been through the troubleshooting with support, multiple times. It always comes down to WiFi interference that no other device in my network seems to have a problem with. The Playbar 20 feet line-of-sight from the router starts to drop out when playing music, but wireless 4k video to the TV above it has never once had a problem, that sort of thing. The most reliable fix is to reboot the devices, and the "interference" magically goes away for awhile.

Regardless, software bugs happen. Having a simple way to restart the entire system would be a nice feature.
[...] The Playbar 20 feet line-of-sight from the router starts to drop out when playing music, but wireless 4k video to the TV above it has never once had a problem, that sort of thing. The most reliable fix is to reboot the devices, and the "interference" magically goes away for awhile.

Regardless, software bugs happen. Having a simple way to restart the entire system would be a nice feature.

Sure, because your Apple TV doesn't need to play in sync with itself; in other words it isn't capable of multiroom. Hook the Playbar to the router and change over to SonosNet and the dropouts may go away. If you have any WiFi extenders or Powerline disconnect them beforehand.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US
Userlevel 1
Badge
Doesn't seem to work anymore, I get a 4030 error denied when trying to access that URL pattern http://SONOSIP:1400/reboot. Absolute pain to have to get to all devices to do a restart. Any suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Security changes removed many of the special web pages, including the reboot one.

It might be possible to force a reboot using the SystemProperties.DoPostUpdateTasks API but that's just a guess.
Userlevel 1
+1 for a simple reboot button in the app.
One more person here, in favor of a reboot button in the controller app.
Or even a button combination on the speaker: press + and - for 5 seconds. (Or something similar)
Removing power cables is frustrating when all cables are tidied away ......
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Lets say Sonos decided to do this: given their recent security changes, this would require a Sonos account login to proceed. As a Player is presumably misbehaving (which is why it needs a reboot), what are the chances of the network stack on the player working well enough to get through the cloud connection and the authentication process to the reboot, on a partially functioning player? Slim, I would say. Call me skeptical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sure there are situations where the option to reboot from the web would fail, still be nice to have for the times it would work.

I've gone to a manually switched power cord for the Sonos gear that is hard to get to, may go fancy with networked power switches at some point.
Badge +1
+1 for the system wide (all Sono's Connect:AMPs, speakers, device controls, etc..) too all reboot at the same time.

About once a month during heavy use, Sonos just goes off and does it's thing and is just uncontrollable. Walking around the house rebooting 3 apps and 5 amps is a pain in the ass/not worth it so I end up ditching Sonos and going back to old school music.
I would hazard a guess that you may need to assign reserved IP addresses to your devices. The Sonos system should not be going offline, nor should it require a reboot of the devices.
Badge +1
Airgetlam - you mean to tell me your Sonos never goes AWOL? No way, not buying it.
Not in the last 4 or 5 years, nope. That's when I assigned reserved IP addresses to all of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Airgetlam - you mean to tell me your Sonos never goes AWOL? No way, not buying it.
Same goes for me. After having chosen reserved IP adresses some 8 years ago Sonos never lost connection. Worked and working like a charm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Not in the last 4 or 5 years, nope. That's when I assigned reserved IP addresses to all of them.

I have had one problem in ten years of use, and I still think that was a result of some errant UPnP event coding by me. Mind you I've nether bothered with IP assignments as I choose my routers with care.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since I assigned static/reserved IP addresses to all my Sonos gear the problems have been much rarer, usually caused by power dips rather than loss/restore situations.