Question

Feature request: Quota time to limit play time per room config

• 6 February 2017
  • 7 replies

Our house is fully equipped with SONOS hardware.
Now that the kids are growing older and learn how to use the SONOS themselves I see that this can easily being misused.
My oldest daughter is very much into audio books at the moment and she is listening through SONOS all day long. Sometimes I think a bit too much.
Would be great to introduce a quota time for the usage of room configs. Similar to the quota for internet usage on routers.

I'm interested to hear some opinions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sonos has always worked to make the system easy to use, and have shied away from introducing any kind of impediments such as passwords, time locks, and so forth. "Time to music" is something they strive to minimise.

Are the audiobooks coming via the Internet? You could always look for a router which can restrict internet access from named IP addresses at defined times.
We have many audiobooks in our local library but yes, also streaming services like spotify are being used for this intention.
I understand that ease of use is important and I think SONOS does already a great job there. But obviously in my opinion this has also a downside. Because it is so easy, it can be used by kids as well which might not get the proportions right.
I know I should not but I am comparing it to TV usage, Internet usage, etc.
I fear that if my children are listening all the time to "audio" they might develop certain behavioral patterns which could come close to addictions.
In addition, if they have to learn for school or need to do other type of homework, I would want them not to have any noise in the background so they can fully concentrate on their work. with a quota I can imagine to achieve that as we do the same with TV already for example (e.g. 1 hour per day).
Rightly or wrongly Sonos has never seen it as their responsibility to police behaviour, whether by kids or by unsociable guests who've been entrusted with a network password. In any event, if there's a way around any block set up by an adult, you can bet that a child will figure it out.

I suggest you look to block access to the media somehow.
I am not asking to police behavior. All I am asking is to add an option to enable quota time in case a SONOS owner would like to use that feature.
The response from you I get so far is quite reluctant. I am not used to that from SONOS.
And yes, I agree, if the child can figure out how to bypass such a restrictions it is probably not worth it any longer.
But I am talking here about an age range from 5-10 years. Most of them are too young to figure that out yet so a restriction for them would be quite efficient.

Anyway, I am hoping to see other responses here as well.
The response from you I get so far is quite reluctant. I am not used to that from SONOS.
I'm not Sonos. Their staff are clearly marked.

Whilst a Sonos official could well say "thanks for the suggestion" I'm simply commenting based on past history and my recollection of remarks the former CEO made about the notion of applying restrictions.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hey Steff83,

Recognizing you are talking to the Sonos Community, and not Sonos staff.... (Sonos generally do not comment on development paths - much like many other tech organizations), I think the issue here is that doing what you want creates a system overhead that is potentially problematic and may create barriers to smooth operation... essentially the system having to check if the instructions being given to a device from a given controller are compliant to a set of rules...

Certainly I can see that there may be value if the architecture can support it... many have asked for a means to validate if a controller can use a system, for example, etc... It just doesn't appear that there is much appetite for this inside Sonos...... but you never know what might be in 7.3... 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
But I am talking here about an age range from 5-10 years. Most of them are too young to figure that out yet so a restriction for them would be quite efficient.
Essentially you're talking about parenting skills. I don't think you should be asking Sonos to do the parenting.