Feature Request: iOS Widget

• 19 July 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
It looks like with the arrival of Airplay 2, one of my favorite features, control volume from lock screen is now gone. I have tons of Sonos equipment and not in a rush to get Airplay 2 stuff. Can we get a widget in iOS that allows us to control volume without having to unlock the phone and control volume?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Unfortunately, iOS has no control library for external streaming devices, and the hack previously used by Sonos is not compatible with the Airplay 2 functionality. So your best bet is to lobby Apple to put in controls for external streaming devices like the ones Android provides.
There is a work around though that should be perfectly acceptable to anyone who has no interest in using airplay. The lock screen disappears due to the presence of non-Sonos airplay 2 devices on your network. Usually, that's Apple TV, but any device that shows up on your phone as an airplay speaker. If you turn on airplay on thos non-Sonos devices and restart your Sonos app on the phone, the lock screen controls should reappear.

If you do plan on using airplay with other devices though, the work around is obviously not that helpful.
Userlevel 1
These are great suggestions, however I do use Airplay with Apple TV.

Thats why I was thinking a widget, that could be accessed without unlocking the phone, is something Sonos could add to their app. (left swipe from home screen).
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Filmhero. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming.
Userlevel 1
Thank you!

Another option I was thinking of was a hardware device that plugged into the router that allows older but still great Sonos devices to become Airplay 2 compatible. I’m sure you guys have already thought of this though!
Thank you!

Another option I was thinking of was a hardware device that plugged into the router that allows older but still great Sonos devices to become Airplay 2 compatible. I’m sure you guys have already thought of this though!

You may already know this, but such a device kind of already exists. You can get a Sonos One and group it with the room you want to play audio in. Then when you stream to the Sonos One through airplay, it will play in your designated room as well.
Userlevel 1
Yup I’ve read that. Great deal on it during prime day. Problem is I have like 5 Sonos zones with in ceiling speakers. Kitchen, living room, etc. would have to buy a Sonos room for each zone then.
I like to agree with Filmhero and keep the discussion open. Any new development is great, but I also believe in sustainability! So I do not want to change the speakers, which work very well, but have a solution to work with IOS on the older speakers?
Any software solution, hardware where wifi works more consistent would also be welcome in Belgium! Kind regards Ronny