Feature Request: Export and Import Sonos Playlists

• 25 February 2013
  • 216 replies

Userlevel 4
Like many users, we use Sonos in two different houses. We have two NAS's of music that I'm planning on keeping synchronized with RSYNC. What doesn't sync or cant get exported are Sonos Playlists. It would be great to be able to ad-hoc export them and then to import them as well. Using the UPnP interface, I've noted a Java program that can export playlists, but importing them is a bit troublesome. It would be great to have this feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

216 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I would like to export my numerous playlists to my iPhone and iPad for when I travel or exercise. Please add me to the long list of clients wanting this feature.  I have had Sonos for a number of years and other than losing a speaker now and then (have to restart to get them back) I have no issues.  I use my whole house system everyday and miss it when it is not available.
Badge
I also have some nice Sonos Playlists i would like to export at least to get the titles in a list to be able to select them in itunes and recreate that list to export from there if needed...

Even something like:  http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/tracks but than for playlists would do as a first start/feature.
Badge
Guys, forget about Sonos playlists. If you create a new iTunes library (press alt + click on iTunes logo on mac), you can add your music in there, add playlists and as long as the library is accessible via a shared folder to Sonos, it will take the playlists from there and put them into "Imported Playlists" and it will update them. That way, you use iTune to manage your playlists, export them...etc.

Problem is not all users (ie wife, kids and guests) have access to my itunes library but are able to maintain a playlist in Sonos using the Sonos APP. And at some point they would like to have these playlists also on their phone or MP3 player...
Badge
There has been a lot of discussion around this and as you have found out, there is no way of exporting playlists out of your Sonos system either to do what you want to do which is use those self same carefully crafted playlist on another device or back up you playlists in the event a Sonos failure or upgrade which wipes them from your bridge.
Some clever individuals out there have indicated that you can use Media monkey, http://www.mediamonkey.com/ to export your playlists from Sonos. I haven't tried this yet but I understand that you will need to do some work on the exported files to get the into a form which other devices can use. 
Search this forum for Media monkey to see what others have said.
Rob

Isn't this to complicated for "simple" users? Why not simply have an export function in the Sonos APP (maybe only on MAC/PC that is fine)
I contacted Sonos customer support on this issue. In reply I received a link to this thread. So, Sonos, I eagerly add my voice here, to. Please add the feature.

I tweeted @Sonossuport and the same happened to me H. Please add my voice as well...would really be a handy feature.
After 2 years you would think there would be at least a partial solution for this.
This is my number one issue in Sonos, the ability to export playlists. I would also like to be able to sort a playlist by artist, title, and album. Is any of this on the roadmap?
I have read through this item and saw a reply from Sonos saying show your support for the suggestion. OK Sonos please can we have the ability to export a playlist?
Sonos-really, this is ridiculous. We should be able to export our playlists and restore them after we've made network/h
ardware changes. It is unbecoming and ridiculous for you to continue to make people beg via this list. It's a serious shortcoming and needs to be resolved ASAP.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sonos-really, this is ridiculous. We should be able to export our playlists and restore them after we've made network/h
ardware changes. It is unbecoming and ridiculous for you to continue to make people beg via this list. It's a serious shortcoming and needs to be resolved ASAP.

Well said Beth. That's two years we've been requesting this functionality without a single response - not even from the lonely moderators.
Judging by the incomprehensive twaddle that the latest Sonos press release contained, I fear the company may have lost the plot somewhat. I do hope not - funny how my phone's dictionary tried to replace Sonos with 'Adonis '.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Chris,

This is a request that's been around for a while and we're thankful for your support. We can't get every suggestion into a new release, and not all requests are possible. But we read every message posted here, and we'll let you know in this thread if there's any news or updates on the topic.

Ryan, It would be nice to know where this suggestion falls. Is it even technically plausible or are your customers wasting their time writing post after post to this thread? Thanks, Shaun
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

We prefer not to say anything's impossible, as we wouldn't have made it here without pushing the limits. With the right approach, who knows what can be accomplished? There aren't any wasted efforts here as we want to know what everyone's most interested in for the future. 

Following the thread and adding your support is the best way to let our team know what you'd like to see done. Keep up the positive suggestions and the feedback, we're listening.

Thanks for your reply. I recall a response from a Sonos rep a year or two ago, so figured you were listening, but nice to know for sure. I love my speaker and the user interface, and incorporation of Rhapsody. Exporting playlists to my iPhone is the only thing I need that isn't already there.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ryan -  Response appreciated.

I'm not holding my breath on this ever happening mind - and on that basis I'm opting out of this thread!
Unbelievable how Sonos can irritate their biggest fans! ... I stopped using sonos playlists all together and use Spotify to manage my playlists ... My biggest irritation is the arrogance of not even explaining why exporting/importing and sorting playlists are not being offered.
My thoughts exactly.
Sonos are not listening.
They are big in this market at the moment but shouldn't sit on their laurels.
(think Lotus 123, Wordperfect, Amstrad, IBM PC, etc - where are they now?)
it is time i opted out of this thread.... tired of talking to brick walls..."Remember sonos... we made you."
so now how do i opt out of this thread..
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Unbelievable how Sonos can irritate their biggest fans! ... I stopped using sonos playlists all together and use Spotify to manage my playlists ... My biggest irritation is the arrogance of not even explaining why exporting/importing and sorting playlists are not being offered.
You're right - there is a lot of competition coming up on the rails...

I bought a Gramofon - £40. Plugs Spotify Premium straight into my existing hifi, which I was intending selling to buy a Sonos Connect Amp.

As I've now set up all my playlists on Spotify it was a no-brainer, and it's saved me a virtual £360 which will buy me another Play 5 to make a nice pair for a large kitchen.

Love the Sonos kit - hated, really hated losing two years worth of mixed playlists.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
it is time i opted out of this thread.... tired of talking to brick walls..."Remember sonos... we made you."

You can 'unfollow' at the top of this thread Arthur - I was intending doing the same but I've now changed my mind - I want to see how many years we can spin this out for!
Just adding my voice to the request to be able to export playlists for both backup and use on other Sonos systems.

Back up is the single most important reason. At the moment I maintain online back ups, so for example if I add a track from Spotify to my Dining playlist then I first add it to a Dining Playlist in Spotify and do the same with tracks from Google Music and Soundcloud, that way if anything happens I should be able to rebuild them quickly but doing this every time is a bit of a pain.

This Christmas I'm going to take a Play 5 to my Mums and it would be great to be able to take our Sonos playlists with us. I know we can still access individual service playlists but after using Sonos for a while you soon start to collect tracks from lots of different sources and being able to have them in one easy playlist to transport would be great.

Hi Arthur, hello Chris,
I am going to follow Chris' idea: let's sit this out! – Until the export/import function is forwarded to users.
@Ryan S from Sonos: Thanks for your response that SONOS is "listening". By now, I feel it's time that SONOS started acting, while still listening. Don't give up the listening, but PLEASE do sth about what you hear! Thanks.

@Ryan S from Sonos: Thanks for your response that SONOS is "listening". By now, I feel it's time that SONOS started acting, while still listening. Don't give up the listening, but PLEASE do sth about what you hear! Thanks.
Hi from France, 
Can not say better than User187243:[/url]

" Unbelievable how Sonos can irritate their biggest fans! ... I stopped using sonos playlists all together and use Spotify to manage my playlists ... My biggest irritation is the arrogance of not even explaining why exporting/importing and sorting playlists are not being offered"

why Sonos does not answer us ?
Am a big fan, have spent a lot of money for my Sonos system,
and they don't even answer to this important topic
???
really it looks sonos don't care what us, customers, are asking
as said above, its the beginning of the end
at least a real answer should be given (not this "we are listening..." this is just fake answer after more than 2 years of messages sent on the topic)
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I fully agree. It's time Sonos explains why they're not offering this basic option. And if they plan to, when they will. All I'm asking is a 'yes' or 'no' and a timeframe.