Feature Request - cross-fade options

• 12 October 2013
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I would like to have options to configure how the cross-fade works. Ideally, there would be two settings for this. How many seconds from the end of the song to start the cross-fade and the length of time in seconds the cross-fade should take. For example, start the cross fade 20 seconds before the song ends and cross-fade for 9 seconds.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 2
Excellent idea. But I like also the idea 'Cross-fade to next track'. When you hit 'next track button' It can be very annoying from the middle of a track to the begin of the next track. This option is integrated in a free player called vuplayer (http://www.vuplayer.com/) and I find it very good and useful
Userlevel 2
Your explanation is clear and correct. But if Sonos will ever implement it , that's the question! Regarding the issue started more than 1 year ago...
And iTunes has it. Maybe the have it on a long list of requests and they just haven't got to it yet. It was a Sonos employee who pointed me to this thread, after all.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I asked Sonos for cross-fade configuration yesterday and was pointed to this thread. I too hope that they open this up, but I'm confused by your request for "How many seconds from the end of the song to start the cross-fade and the length of time in seconds the cross-fade should take". They should be the same thing. If a 2nd song starts cross fading at 20 seconds before the 1st song ends, that's how long it takes.

And by the way, 20 seconds is a long time, but that's a personal choice I guess. I think the current default is too long and would like to shorten it, but just by a little bit.

I would also like to adjust the ramp up rate. As it stands now, the song takes too long to get up to full level. One setting would be "how long does it take to get to full level" which is the above request, but I'm talking about the rate envelope..

For example: imagine 2 points, the 1st being when the next song starts to fade in, and the 2nd point being when that song gets to full volume. Draw a straight line between those two points. That's what Sonos appears to be doing now--flat. I think a radio DJ is doing a curve more like faster at the start, then slower when it gets close to the end point. See the following diagram.

The description I posted was based on functionality I like in a program called Dijay. Sometimes, you don't want the song to play all the way to the end, especially if it is repetitive or slowly fading. I tend to use the cross-fade functionality when I make party playlists, so I'm trying to simulate a DJ as best I can.
Just a note: the default was getting so annoying that I finally just turned cross-fade off. The small lag between cuts is better than the cross-face curve is now. I talked to my friends using Sonos and they all feel that cross-fade is just broken without user fine tune controls.
Sonos Software product management seems very stubborn to learn and improve. They have wonderful hardware, worry free device from hardware stand point, however their software is a light year behind on how people choose to hear music today. Their software product management has incompetencies.  
Userlevel 1
Actually, what you want is more of a fade out on the outgoing track while the incoming has no fade during the 'cross' . Something like \| or an X at 45 so you don't lose the top of the song. If this is done built on top of what is already there, it should be relatively easy to pull off (as it would just mean changing the incoming ramp time to 0 or very short). As far as a toggle, you could use the same switch and instead of on/off would cycle Standard crossfade, 'Radio' crossfade, and off. At least this would be a user friendly start to different options
Userlevel 2
Exactly! Let's hope that Sonos implement it soon
CiXeL makes a great point, so reverse the above graphics for fade outs and leave the beginning of the next cut alone.
Hey Sonos!
One thing is still missing though. Crossfade controls... it's so simple, just let the next song start within the end of the just finishing song and let us deside the time it starts in seconds. In fact no crossfade would be even better why not call it Mix, Merge or Radioplay.
I would also like to see this feature added!
Another vote for some crossfader configuration options.
Badge
I think the current default is too long and would like to shorten it, but just by a little bit.

Yeah, me too. I'd also like to mark some tracks such that they do not take part of cross feed. For example "Knives" by Therapy? has an intro which completely loses it's impact if it is merged with another track. Such songs should start after the previous song has faded out.

There's an ID3 tag for this (ETCO) which allows the specification of intro and outro lengths. Crossfade should be applied for the shorter of the player's default crossfade time and the intro or outro time specified in the tag. If the intro/outro time is zero, then no crossfade should be applied at all.
I'd like to see an ability to set the Crossfade as a default setting. I always want Crossfade on but every time I change to different stations it defaults back to off. Surely a very simple upgrade to implement?
Userlevel 1
Add me to the list of folks who would like a little more control over the crossfade... simply being able to control how long the two songs overlap (in seconds) would almost be enough for me, but there are a lot of great ideas above as well:
1. 'Cross-fade to next track' - When you hit 'next track button'
2. 'adjust the ramp up rate' ("how long does it take to get to full level"), AND/OR
2a. more of a fade out on the outgoing track while the incoming has no fade during the 'cross' .
3. Crossfade as a default setting
1) cross fade should be an option by default .. so everything is cross fade.

2) if not cross fade should be located next to shuffle button. I am getting sick of always looking for it.

I have to set it on for every album I play. That's stupid.

3) off topic back button on android.. sonos should not exit app. Or a double back should. Annoying.

4) Cross fade should kick in when you click forward to next track.

Sonos is becoming too clunky and good looking? I don't care about looks.

It needs to be more functional. Start playing and put away. It's not a Spotify app.

I get more joy from using my old sonos controller when guests come.. as I need to start music and carry on. This app makes me look rude as I have to find cross fade shuffle, volume etc.

Cross fade is a competitive advantage and if they don't learn this, they will soon be left behind...
Still no decent cross fade Solution 😞