Answered

Feature Request - advanced pre-set groups

• 22 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

With growing systems containing different types of components there would be great value in being able to combine these components in different ways depending on use and without having to manually reconfigure the system.

Specifically, what I would like to request a feature that allows pre-defined configurations (groups) at the level of individual components. Here is an illustrative example:

Group A: Arc + Subwoofer + Amp A (for rear speakers)

Group B: Amp B + Subwoofer

Group C: Amp A + Subwoofer

The above reflects an actual setup I have in our home. The different combinations would optimize the use of my Sonos equipment e.g., for watching TV (Group A), listening to music in the living room (Group B) or listening to music in the kitchen (Group C).

I have seen numerous similar requests in the forums. What are the chances of getting this implemented?

Kind regards,

Peter

icon

Best answer by ratty 22 November 2021, 12:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have seen numerous similar requests in the forums. What are the chances of getting this implemented?

Near zero, one would guess. You’re asking for ‘bonds’ to be dynamic, like ‘groups’ currently are.

A ‘bond’ is a semi-permanent connection of a number of devices into a single room. Each unit takes on a different role: a specific channel, or a specific frequency range.

‘Groups’ are ad-hoc arrangements, where rooms combine to play the same content.

A ‘bond’ takes time to assemble, whereas ‘grouping’ is almost instant. The reason for the former being the need to reconfigure the devices to make the ‘bond’, in some cases shifting their wireless frequency band. Any pre-existing Trueplay tuning is lost.

Quite apart from the technical challenge in making a ‘bond’ dynamic, there is -- I suggest -- not much commercial motivation for Sonos to do so. As things are, they get to sell more kit.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the insights, albeit not very encouraging. The commercial motivation will change instantly if a competitor offers it...

The commercial motivation will change instantly if a competitor offers it...

That would be for the brief period before the competitor gets sued for infringing Sonos’ patents, particularly the ones around audio synchronisation...

Thanks for the insights, albeit not very encouraging. The commercial motivation will change instantly if a competitor offers it...

One has to ask - If Sonos could rapidly reconfigure rooms like it can group and ungroup separate rooms, why would they force you to go through the setup and why would the bonding process take so long?  I'm pretty sure there's no 'if setup room, then delay x seconds' call in the code.  It obviously takes what it takes, and reconfiguring on the fly is not possible.