Question

Feature Reques: allow the Sonos app to use play on BT.

• 5 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Really would like to be able to move from the house music system to the car and/or headphones when out seamlessly.  Any potential solutions for this?  

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Spotify, Deezer etc on your phone and then BT to car unit.  Sonos is NOT a music app.  Think of it more as a remote control for the speakers.  The speakers hold the information on where your music is stored (local library) or negotiate a link to your prefered music service, and the music source plays to the speakers over wifi. 

Badge

I disagree - The Sonos app is a music app.  It’s playing or controlling music from my own NAS.  Spotify is a subscription service with music player attached. Just the same really. I have playlists on the Sonos app that I would like to be able to continue listening to seamlessly when I get into the car or go for a run.  If Sonos is my complete home music system then as a feature I’d like to request a solution to allow it to become my own personal music system too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No that’s not how it works.  The music flow does not come through the phone.  The phone instructs the Sonos speakers to play music from a source (Nas or streaming) and the source plays direct to the Sonos speakers.  That is why you can turn your phone off and or use any other device with the Sonos app to add or change the playing queue.  

Badge

Sorry - yes I understand that and get your point.  However, it doesn’t provide a solution to a personal system.  Maybe this means producing hardware that will allow the Sonos system to work in a car or on headphones….or the app synchronising with another music app on your phone so you can use it outside of the house too.

Does that make more sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes it does.  I can see headphones being a new product line, but if they are they would have to work outside of the home too if they were to be really useful, in which case a way to do so would also enable car audio.

I’m not an expert on this at all, and don’t even use it myself, but it sounds like you should be looking at Plex.  Basically, it’s software that manages your local media library and allows you to play music, and other media, on multiple devices in and out of your local network.

I don’t see Sonos adding this sort of feature.  For one thing, they are primarily are home hardware company, and building devices that work with your car or something like that isn’t what they are built for.  Also, Plex has already done it.  Also, it’s not exactly a big market, since most people use streaming services rather than their own personal libraries these days.