Failure to add music library

I get the same error every time 😠 (running desktop client on mac osx)...any help is appreciated:

'//AlexMBP/Music' is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path may have changed.
Go to Manage > Music Library Settings to check the path name

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 1
Thanks Geod,

I'm with you. My computer name is down to 4 letters now and I have a month old router from Time Warner...I'll report back any advancements or stagnation when I finally speak to someone in support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI folks,

If you're still having trouble connecting to your music shares, please submit a diagnostic report then reply here with the confirmation number, I'll take a look for you.
Userlevel 1
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please check your computer's firewall and antivirus settings, here's how. It may also help to remove the music share and add it again. This will rebuild the sharing permissions and may help.
Userlevel 1
Did everything you instructed, rebooted before and after. The music folder worked for an hour and then back to the same old same old. Ran a new diagnostic. Here's the confirmation: 6839610

Completely bummed about this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is your computer going to sleep? If the computer goes idle or goes to sleep Sonos will not be able to access the music stored on it.
Hi,

Same problem here. I purchased a complete Sonos system and I can't listen to my own music on iTunes because the indexing on Sonos software keeps failing. Going to Sonos settings/Music Library, then selecting "in my music library" as the target folder. Then it leads to an updating/indexing of the music library that never ends. I tried to give a more specific path (~user/Music/Music, but it didn't change anything. None of my files have the 'shared' status on my laptop. I also checked on the firewall side, Sonos appears on the list of accepted input/output apps.

Diagnostic: 7138935
MacbookPro Retina - Sierra 10.12.3

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

Same problem here. I purchased a complete Sonos system and I can't listen to my own music on iTunes because the indexing on Sonos software keeps failing. Going to Sonos settings/Music Library, then selecting "in my music library" as the target folder. Then it leads to an updating/indexing of the music library that never ends. I tried to give a more specific path (~user/Music/Music, but it didn't change anything. None of my files have the 'shared' status on my laptop. I also checked on the firewall side, Sonos appears on the list of accepted input/output apps.

Diagnostic: 7138935
MacbookPro Retina - Sierra 10.12.3

Thanks!

Hi jfnoubel,

It looks like your system is still indexing but there are some recursion errors showing up. These can happen if your shared music folder has too many nested folders within or if there are many tracks with long track names. How many folders deep is your shared music folder?
Hi Jeff, thanks for your quick reply.
I have never shared any music from my laptop, so I don't really mean what you mean by my 'shared music folder'. The only shared folder I found appears in /Users/Shared/Sonos. This folder has only 2 small files in it: ShareIndo and Shares.plist. Should I look somewherelse?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff, thanks for your quick reply.
I have never shared any music from my laptop, so I don't really mean what you mean by my 'shared music folder'. The only shared folder I found appears in /Users/Shared/Sonos. This folder has only 2 small files in it: ShareIndo and Shares.plist. Should I look somewherelse?

The folder on your Mac that is being shared is called "Musique." How many folder levels deep can you go in that folder?
Hello.. I have the same problem as every one. Read many threads but didn't manage to fix. Please advise.
A good start to getting the assistance you desire is to submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.
Here's my fix: (I'm running Mac OS X High Sierra on a Mid 2010 MacPro).
I noticed that the"Shares.plist" file within the Sonos Folder (Computer>HD>Users>Shared>Sonos) showed the path to my music stopped short of where my iTunes folder was located, so I grabbed just one .m4a file at random (from my Bill Evans folder), copied it, and pasted it directly into the folder at the end of the Sonos path. After that the "Music Library Settings" within the controller was able to recognize that folder as having music in it. ALL my music! It took just a few minutes for the controller to index all the data, and Voila! Hope that helps someone out there.