Failure to add music library

I get the same error every time 😠 (running desktop client on mac osx)...any help is appreciated:

'//AlexMBP/Music' is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path may have changed.
Go to Manage > Music Library Settings to check the path name

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2413/~/mac-os-x-music-sharing-help
Still does not work. Same error as previously reported.
Are you sure the path is correct? You haven't given us much info about what you have tried. Have you tried removing the share from your Sonos Music Library, then re-add it selecting "in another location on my computer" and then browsing to where your music is stored?
The share never gets added - it never gets that far.

I have tried both the "in the music folder" and the "in another location" options. Same error for both.
Actually, now, suddenly, I'm getting error 900 when trying to choose the other location option and navigating to my itunes folder.
I think the best bet is to submit a diagnostic just after receiving the error and post the reference back here.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostics
diagnostic: 6333123
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
diagnostic: 6333123

Hi Alex622,

Please follow these steps:
1. Remove the music share from your Mac's system preferences, sharing menu.
2. Uninstall the Sonos app from the Sonos controller menu.
3. Download and install the Sonos app from our website.
4. Try to add the music share again.

If these steps don't help, please send in a new diagnostic report and I will create a support ticket for you then get you in touch with our phone team for further troubleshooting.
Badge
I have exactly the same problem on Windows since Sonos Version 6.3. Fails every night at the appointed reindex time.
Is there a corollory to step 1 above for Windows?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have exactly the same problem on Windows since Sonos Version 6.3. Fails every night at the appointed reindex time.
Is there a corollory to step 1 above for Windows?

Hi Rexhavoc,

Please try removing the music share from your system and then add it back and see if that helps. This should cause the Sonos app to redefine the security settings on the shared folder. If that doesn't help, please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number, I'll take a look.
Badge
Hi
I've removed and re-added the mapping, as well as reinstalled the software - no change.
Will file the diagnostic next.

Thanks
Badge
Hi, the diagnostic is submitted: 6518510
Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, the diagnostic is submitted: 6518510
Thanks,

Hi RexH,

There's an incursion limit error showing in your diagnostic report. This usually happens when your Sonos system is trying to index a shared folder that has many other folders within it, many levels deep. If your GoFlex public folder has some nested folders, how many folders deep do they go? Would it be possible to point your Sonos system at a more specific folder for your music share so your system doesn't try to index quite as many folders?
I have the exact same problem as everyone else here. I have many music files (~40k) that iTunes files into folders, as I'm sure you're aware of. Is this indeed the issue?

If so, it is absolutely bewildering as to why Sonos hasn't taken this into account, as the whole philosophy of the company would seem to be providing high quality audio hardware to people who enjoy many styles of music.

Essentially, because we like music so much, and have accrued so much over the years, we are not able to listen to them -- is that what you're saying?
Badge
Hi Geod,
This started happening to me after the latest update. But the workaround suggested by Jeff S worked for me. The NAS share I had previously pointed the Sonos application to at looked something like this:
\\NAS\Public\
but I made it more specific as something like:
\\NAS\Public\Audio\Music
after which the problem disappeared. I may miss some files in other directories but at least it works.
I suspect a developer changed a 'maximum recursion path length' constant somewhere.

thx
I appreciate the input, Rex. Unfortunately, I don't have an NAS -- all of my music is on my computers and iPhone. At this time, I don't feel the need to (or feel I should HAVE to) purchase and set up an NAS, for this specific application.

I spent a significant amount of money for my Sonos system, in order to have a wireless system through my house that was touted as easy and seamless integration with my current technologies. It's extremely frustrating to me that I would need to purchase even more hardware in order to make this work, just because of a lack of foresight in software development by Sonos.

I REALLY want to like this company, because the quality of the hardware is exceptional, and their customer service is supposed to be great, but after all of these troubleshooting steps taken (I've tried all that are mentioned in any relevant thread except for things NAS-related, of course), I'm still left without a solution.

I'm always willing to try anything else that anyone might be able to suggest, though.
Badge
Can you set the path to your libraries more specifically?
thx
I've tried all of that. iTunes folder, itunes/media, itunes/media/audio, etc. Nothing works.

I have thousands of artist folders, that each lead to several albums, which then has the music files. This is how iTunes indexes it natively.
Badge
Hmm that would be too bad if Sonos can't support that; you may have exposed a bug introduced in the last release, IMO. Run a diagnostic and record the report number - I'm hoping for you that Sonos staff will ask you for it, then investigate.

thx
That's what I'm hoping is the case as well. Just a pre-emptive action here -- for any Sonos staff that see this conversation, my report number is 6532682. Let's talk.

Thanks for the attempted help, Rex. Much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's what I'm hoping is the case as well. Just a pre-emptive action here -- for any Sonos staff that see this conversation, my report number is 6532682. Let's talk.

Thanks for the attempted help, Rex. Much appreciated.

Hi Geod123,

The Sonos system can still access music shares stored on computers. You do not need to store your music on a NAS drive. In your diagnostic I see that your computer's name is pretty long. This can cause issues with SMB file shares. Please try shortening your computer's name to something less than 15 characters and see if the music share will add. To do so, head into the Apple menu and choose sharing, then click on the sharing option. Here you can adjust your computer name. Once changed, please reboot your Mac. When everything is back online, see if you can add the music share in Sonos.

If that doesn't work, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the number.
Your site will now not let me post a full reply for some reason. Keeps on cutting my statement off. Wow this company is frustrating.

Please read the full diagnostic. You will see my name was changed to a
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In your diagnostic I see that your computer's name is pretty long. This can cause issues with SMB file shares. Please try shortening your computer's name to something less than 15 characters and see if the music share will add. To do so, head into the Apple menu and choose sharing, then click on the sharing option. Here you can adjust your computer name. Once changed, please reboot your Mac. When everything is back online, see if you can add the music share in Sonos.

If that doesn't work, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the number.

Please read the full diagnostic. You will see my name was changed to a

Your computer's name shows up as your name with this at the end ".fios-router.home". It may help to change your computer's name again in the sharing menu, then reboot your computer and router. Rebooting your router should help to remove the extra bits at the end of your computer's name.
Userlevel 1
I am at my wits end with the same problem. I manage to get my music folder loaded after removing the xml file from the itunes music file and then rebooting my computer...but I only get 3 or 4 songs out of my music library before Sonos is no longer able to find the folder. I called customer service twice and each time was not offered the call back option, so I kept on hold for what seemed an eternity. The last call I went from caller 102 down to 67. Eventually I had to go back to work. I have spent several thousands of dollars on this equipment and I am beyond disappointed with the extremely inequitable customer service. C'mon Sonos! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!
Ilerid, I wish you luck. I was told by phone support (after Jeff was no help -- I changed my computer name to 7 characters which made no difference whatsoever) that it was my router, but Verizon and myself have confirmed separately that there is no issue with my router or any 'fluctuations' in connection. I tried literally everything (and I'm by no means incompetent in solving these issues usually). From all my hours of work and attempting everything seemingly under the sun, I've concluded that this is solely the Sonos app that is the issue here, and for some reason they refuse to admit or address it with an update.

Seems like a ridiculous issue at its heart, too. You'd think this would be a simple compiling fix.