Question

Everything under the Manage tab is greyed out. Why?

• 8 September 2016
  • 17 replies

I just downloaded the desktop controller for Mac, updated the software, and connected with my speaker. But everything under the Manage menu is greyed out, so the only thing I can listen to is preset radio stations. Why is everything greyed out, and how can I access those fields, specifically Music Library Settings?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

What version of MacOS are you running? The oldest fully supported version is now 10.9.
so how do i go back to the older version
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You can't downgrade. The only option is to upgrade OSX on the computer.
I have OS X 10.9.5, just updated the Sonos controller and my music library option is still greyed out also. Please help as this is SOOOOO FRUSTRATING! Diagnostic # 6895695 Thank you
I have OS X 10.9.5, just updated the Sonos controller and my music library option is still greyed out also. Please help as this is SOOOOO FRUSTRATING! Diagnostic # 6895695 Thank you
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/music-library-manage-options-greyed-out-6739971?postid=16073002
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi ImprovMom,

It looks like everything's running the correct version so you should have access to the manage menu. It would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. Please give us a call and reference case number: 161221-000110. Our phone number and hours can be found here.
What if you don't have the option of upgrading your MAC iOS past 10.7??? Does that mean we are screwed from ever updating our music library again????!!!!! That doesn't seem right after spending thousands in speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Bull868. The fact of the matter is that Apple no longer support that operating system themselves, which has meant that we are also unable to. I would encourage you to contact Apple regarding this issue.
Hi Edward,
Thanks for the reply. You mean to tell me that a simple updating of the music library cannot be programed into the software because of "Apple"? Support for the iOS is one thing, but it appears to me Sonos is forcing me to update my whole computer system because their software was programed not work. I happen to be an IT guy and this seems very interesting to me. If this is the case, then why do all the other features work on the old iOS? I have always been extremely pleased with Sonos on their products and support, but this is one that I have to say is just plain wrong. I appreciate your reply and have a good day.
Time to go read up on Apple's policies, bucko.
It make no sense that Sonos would purposefully do this, rather than being forced to do it because of limiting factors in the MacOS. There is absolutely no benefit to Sonos when its users have to upgrade their Apple hardware. On the other hand, Apple and the term "forced obsolescence" have been almost synonymous for years, and it is no secret that Apple builds new features into the latest OS build that can only be accessed if the old OS versions are abandoned, often far more prematurely than is necessary.
And the other option is to use another device to do those things that can't be done on the offending computer. Say, a newer iPhone, or iPad, or Android device, or some other laptop/PC. Even if your data is on the "I can't upgrade this" device, you can use Sonos' controller on any device that is connected to the Sonos Speakers to make changes.
And are there any words on here that can produce such a feeling of dread as "I'm an IT guy"? Oh yes...."I am a network engineer".
Please note that it is your Apple equipment you have to upgrade, not your Sonos gear.
And are there any words on here that can produce such a feeling of dread as "I'm an IT guy"? Oh yes...."I am a network engineer".
"There's nothing wrong with my network" must come close.
Please note that it is your Apple equipment you have to upgrade, not your Sonos gear.

Yes, there is something worse...those who feel incompetent and try and make themselves look good by tearing others down. Looks like to me that someone needs to go read RULES OF NETIQUETTE. LOL Have fun "boys".
"it works at my desk/on my computer" is a common one in game development.
"it works at my desk/on my computer" is a common one in game development.

Yes, the Sonos equivalent is "TuneIn/Spotify/Pandora/etc. plays fine on my phone."