Question

error installing windows controller

The installer runs fine then when I go to open the Sonos desktop controller on my PC it come up with 3 error messages as follows: "To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v4.0.30319 Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of .NET Framework" I click OK, the same message appears then I get a further message saying "Unable to load pcdcr.dll. Please re-install". I have tried a full re-install but get the same message. I am running Vista SP1. Help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello Chris, Sounds like you need to update the Microsoft .NET Framework. First uninstall Sonos by selecting Start -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program. Once the list populates, find Sonos and select Uninstall. Once it is uninstalled, download and install the latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653 Once that is installed, it should prompt you to reboot your computer. When the computer comes back on, please download and install the latest version of the Sonos Desktop Controller for PC or Mac from our website: http://www.sonos.com/support Please reply here if you still have issues.
Hi Azur Unfortunately I get the same issue despite following your suggestion. Any other ideas? Many thanks Chris
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi Chris, Lets try one more thing. Go into Start -> Computer -> C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local and delete the Sonos,_Inc folder. You may need to enable Show hidden files and folders to see the AppData folder. You can enable this by clicking Alt on your keyboard and then Tools -> Folder Options -> View at the top bar, while browsing any folder in Windows Explorer. If the app continues to crash after this, I'll reach out to you directly to see where else the issue could be.
Hi Azur Really appreciate your help here, unfortunately i cannot see a folder of that name in the Local folder, in fact there is nothing Sonos named in that nor the Guest nor Default AppData folders. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks Chris
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello Chris, The AppData folder is a hidden folder by default so we'll need to enable Show hidden files and folders. If you browse any folder under Windows Explorer, C:\Users for example, press and release the Alt key on your keyboard. This should show a few menu options at the top left of the window. Select Tools -> Folder Options -> View and from here you will be able to put a tick next to Show hidden files and folders. If you're still not able to find it please let me know and I can reach out myself to get it resolved. Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello Chris, Interesting that the folder is not in the expected directory. I'd like to take a look at your system in some more detail to see what's going on. If you don't mind, please open up a support ticket on the link below and put "ATTN: Azur" in the subject. This will allow me to reach out to you so we can hopefully come up with a resolution. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask Thanks!
Hi - I have exactly this problem too - I have tried the fixes suggested but still unable to install the sonos controller. I would be very grateful for your help. Many thanks.
Hi, did anyone reach a satisfactory conclusion to this issue. I too have followed all the steps but the underlying issue described by Chris remains. Thanks (in hope of a solution).
Hi, is there a solution for this already? I also just tried installing the app and got the same errors on Win7 64bit, and following the suggested steps, did not help (there never was a suggested folder here either).

Thanks
I've also this problem.
I reported to Sonos Spain and waiting for and answer.

King regards.
I've also this problem.
I reported to Sonos Spain and waiting for and answer.

King regards.

Has there been any update on this problem? I have the same issue and have not been able to get an answer yet.
Userlevel 1
Badge
now its 2016 and i'm still get that error using windows 10. any solution?
the support that contacted me was very unhelpful...sonos, really?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
now its 2016 and i'm still get that error using windows 10. any solution?
the support that contacted me was very unhelpful...sonos, really?

Hi Stuefi,

Are you trying to install the most recent version of the Sonos app? If not, you can find it here. If you have the most up to date version, please reply with the full text of the error message you see when you try to install the Sonos app.

Windows 10 has the .Net framework built in now, so the specific error message should help.
Badge
Hi

I have the same problem. It started after a windows update october.

The installation works fine but when I try to open the controller it goes wrong.
This is the message that comes up
"Unable to load pcdcr.dll. Please reinstall"

Regards
Erik
Badge +1
In the past, the error “unable to load pcdcr.dll” was caused by the operating system being out of date for the newer Sonos app. It’d be worth first checking for any updates for the Windows OS, uninstalling the Sonos application from the computer using the “add or remove programs” from the Control Panel and then download the newest Sonos app here.

If using a fresh installation of the Sonos app still gives the same error, then it’d be best to work with a live technician to help gather more information. Our support number can be found here.
Badge
Hi

I have solved the problem with help from this website:

http://freewisdoms.com/how-to-fix-0xc000007b-application-error/3/

Regards
newest version of Windows 10, newest Sonos Windows App, same problem: Unable to load pcdcr.dll. Please re-install.:@
Badge
newest version of Windows 10, newest Sonos Windows App, same problem: Unable to load pcdcr.dll. Please re-install.:@

Read Ryddas post above and follow link, it worked fine for me.
Just searched and found some guides. The error can be resolved. Just have to follow some simple steps.
http://errorcodespro.com/fix-error-code-0xc000007b-windows-7-10/
Windows Update error 0x80070057 is a glitch that is very known among Windows users across the globe. This has been an epidemic to our systems and mainly the Windows XP. The bug brings many system faults along with it. It is known as the hexadecimal error number and is common in most versions of windows.Refer the guide step by step :http://www.onlyerrors.com/windows-update-error-0x80070057.html
the new version of Hearthstone and bootmgr can be gained here. their proper guidelines are explained here. so just go through with it.
https://notresponding.net/
In order to continue with your installation, take the following steps when you encounter the error screen shown below:

Click Cancel.
Unplug the USB DVD drive when you get back to the Welcome screen.
Plug the DVD drive into a different USB port.
Click Install Now to proceed with the installation.