Encouragement of the bottom line (more sales $) would help. Multiple genres is a design requirement for serious music lovers

• 4 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Badge +2

I would buy more equipment if I thought you’d support your product with multiple genres and more length to a genre.  But it looks like you’re waiting for another vendor to leapfrog you and get your future new business.  I guess I just have to wait until Sonos goes belly-up and someone buys your code.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Are you talking about Sonos radio?

My local music sources provide any number of genres, as do most of the streaming services, such as Apple, Amazon, Pandora, and SiriusXM, to name but a small number of them. 

Badge +2

No.  I’m talking about SONOS to play MP3 tagged albums.  There is no way that some albums are not multiple genres.  But to have multiple genres, the sonos player must have multiple genres in the player.  I have SONOS S2 and don’t really care what the delimiter is.  But to have an accurate catalogue of albums, some require more than a single genre.

Some systems use the semi-colon as the delimiter and others use a // between genres.  Something could easily be both country and americana as just one example.  

Ah, I see. That certainly wasn’t clear from your original post.

I would certainly be interested in a system that can handle this. Are you familiar with a whole home system, or even a regular player for Desktop/ mobile devices that can do this? I’d love to investigate further. 

Badge +2

My apologies for the unclear posting and thanks for helping with the wording and clarification.   I can tell you that I would be buying additional speakers now if these and other features were made available but in light of lack of such basics, I am not investing further in SONOS.  That’s the fundamental issue.  I don’t know if specific vendors that offer wireless through the house sound would give us a trial on their software.  But if they did, all we’d have to do is point to the catalog of mp3s and see what it displays for multiple genres.

I can also tell you, but you probably already know that this has been in the forum for years and has been archived as Sonos is prone to do.  I wonder if we could somehow ask the community how many more speakers they’d buy if this feature were available.  But the time isn’t right.  People are pretty annoyed with Sonos support these days.  Do you have any ideas about this?  It seems inappropriate to say to Sonos, gee I’d but x number of speakers if this feature is developed.  We shouldn’t have to beg and that’s sort of where we are now.

Local libraries account for less than 10% of the streaming on Sonos, and usage is diminishing every year..  I doubt one will see much more innovation in this area.

Badge +2

I guess I am confused by the term “Streaming” as my local library of music plays only in my house and is not  a streaming service and is not a business at all.

The music stored locally is being ‘streamed’ to the Sonos speakers in your house.  Bruce is saying that only a small and diminishing amount of the music played by Sonos users is locally stored music.

Tbh, if this feature is a requirement for you then I think your Sonos-buying days are over.  I shall be surprised if you find any serious alternative to Sonos with this feature, but It’s not something I have looked into.

I guess I am confused by the term “Streaming” as my local library of music plays only in my house and is not  a streaming service and is not a business at all.

Tomayto/Tomahto.  Whatever the name, music from local libraries comprises less than 10% of Sonos usage, and that percentage has been steadily diminishing for years.

Badge +2

I hear ya.  May as well close this thread.  There is no passion for us local guys.  It’s a shame since streaming is often content compromised by ads and middle men.

Badge +2

Well, this was my last shot.  I had pretty much given up.