Enable drag and drop to create playlists please

• 25 August 2018
  • 5 replies

I love my Sonos systems (multiple speakers). Sound is great, listening over WIFI is terrific. I'm not having so much luck with setting up my playlists. I would like to have Sonos playlists, but find creating them a challenge. Please enable drag and drop (e.g. from the queue) into a playlist.

For instance, I'd like to select multiple songs from the queue and drop them into a playlist. Adding songs one at a time is tedious. I know I can drag and drop to the queue, which helps. What would help enormously is the ability to edit existing Sonos playlists with D&D.

thanks a bunch!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Well, you can create a Sonos playlist by saving the current queue (or re-saving if you're editing a playlist). Of course, if you don't want the whole queue as your playlist, you'd still have to do the necessary re-ordering / deleting of current tracks and inserting of new ones to get your queue in the right state for saving..
I would like drag and drop as well, I've been using Sonos for several years now and have many playlists that have grown very long, have links to files no longer available on streaming services or I'd just like to shuffle them around. I get that this could be done by re-ordering in the queue but its a crappy user experience and not fit for large scale changes. Come on Sonos, if you want to be the hub of all the music on earth give us a bit more control on how we can manage it ( and on a windows device as well please...)
Yes, please, Drag and Drop!
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I can drag and drop in the queue, and I can drag and drop in a Sonos playlist. I can drag from a playlist to the queue, but I cannot drag from the queue to a playlist. I'd guess this was a bug, but as this is the Desktop controller I have zero hope it will get fixed these days. Drag and drop like this only makes sense on large-screen devices anyway, again reducing the chance of is getting any changes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I can drag and drop in the queue, and I can drag and drop in a Sonos playlist. I can drag from a playlist to the queue, but I cannot drag from the queue to a playlist. I'd guess this was a bug, but as this is the Desktop controller I have zero hope it will get fixed these days. Drag and drop like this only makes sense on large-screen devices anyway, again reducing the chance of is getting any changes.

Would you really want to drag back to a playlist and instantly change it?

Think of the current process as:
1. Start with fresh blank queue, or fill the queue with an existing playlist
2. Add tracks to queue and re-order as necessary - this is your scratch space for editing
3. Save (new playlist or overwrite existing), or safely abandon (and don't overwrite the existing playlist)

So if you want to amend an existing playlist, you just load it into the queue, make your edits and save. The tools are basic but they work. This process probably works best with simple playlists that have a small number of tracks and a set sequence. As playlists grow larger, editing inevitably becomes more complicated, even with a rich playlist editing tool.