Question

Dropped off network

• 23 February 2018
  • 13 replies

Badge
again tonight all of a sudden 4 of my 6 speakers dropped off the network.
WTF, what other brand is out there that is wireless like Sonos?
This used to be a great speaker, now you have to setup and login to an account to do anything with them.
every fucing software update loses my stations and I have to add them back. hey Sonos if you can't find a decent programer that can do upgrades and not lose shit you need to give up

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Badge
just tried 3 fing times to add a third one and it still is not on the controller. WTF
Userlevel 7
I'm not gong to say that you don't have a bad speaker; as anything is possible. However, with the plethora of issues you're having I've got to believe your network maybe at fault as well. The problems could be caused by internal traffic or external interference. I strongly suggest you submit a diagnostic to Sonos and post the reference ID in this forum.

Also are you setup on straight WiFi or in Boost Mode?

Good luck!
Badge
could be but I find it a little hard to believe that it is network issue when 4 of the 6 drop off the network and I have to "add" them back to get them to work. 2 continue to work. if it were a network issue I would think all 6 would drop off, but right now who knows.
Userlevel 7
Open the link below on how to submit a diagnostic. BTW, when having network issues everything doesn't necessarily crash. It's usually sporadic. For example an IP Address conflict can be limited to one device not every device on your network. You can try this if you like:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/kw/run%20diagnostic
Badge
Thank you, forgot to mention, non boast mode.
Userlevel 7
One last question...Are there any range extenders or switches on your network?
Badge
no range extenders, there is a switch that connects our registers. I have a Xirrus AP for WiFi and it connects back to the cable modem. on another port of the modem is our switch that connects all our registers. I have the wifi on the cable modem turned off and my 2 printers are hardwired not on the wifi.
Userlevel 7
Now we're getting somewhere. You didn't mention the model of your Xirrus AP and it probably doesn't matter.

My research shows the Xirrus AP's provide 802.11ac with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Some may have dual 5Ghz bands for load distributing. You must make sure that all your Sonos is connecting to the 2.4Ghz and not the 5Ghz.

If possible can you name each band with a different SSID to make them easily identifiable? The same password can be used for each band for simplicity. At this point that's my best guess is that Sonos is hitting the 5Ghz.

From your last comments it appears you are in a commercial environment which means your area is subject to outside interference more so than a home network. You might be wise to set static IP's for your Sonos. Also setting Boost mode will help. If using a Sonos speaker is not possible I suggest you invest in the Sonos Boost component ($99-USD).

I hope these suggestions will resolve your issues. Cheers!
Badge
yes, yes, yes lol
it is a dual radio/ dual band AP (820's I think). I have 2 ssids and both are configured for both bands 2.4 & 5. I can separate 2.4 and 5 and I will try that. right now I can tell the speakers are on the 2.4 band from my Xirrus portal. can the Sonos work in the 5G band? another option is create a SSID just for the speakers, I like the idea of plugging speaker in and it creates its own wifi if I read that correctly. we are a restaurant.
Userlevel 7
That is a good idea to separate the 2.4GHz from the 5GHz bands. There's only one speaker that operates in the 5Ghz band and that is the Playbar/Playbase. That's because Playbar/Playbase bond to Sub's and Surrounds and need to minimize signal delay to those speakers. I really believe setting your Sonos in Boost mode will be a benefit. Click the link in my previous post. Please post back with your results. Curious minds want to know :8 Cheers!
Badge
ok, you ready for this. I have 2 locations and 2 AP's (close proximity). I have 1 profile that is applied to both AP's. each AP is on a different network 192..... and 10..... so the speaker closet to the AP with the 10 network would switch to it and quit working and then I guess cause the others to stop too. so I disabled the second 10... AP and they're all working right now. I'm pretty sure that will solve the problem. when I get there I'm going to create a SSID just for the speakers and that should take care of it.
Userlevel 7
That was most likely your issue. Sonos was hopping between two AP's. Wish you had mentioned that earlier...or rather I should have asked...my bad 😞 Glad you worked it out 🆒

Cheers!
Badge
forget everything nice I said above. I have eliminated the second AP and yesterday the back room dropped out and today the dinning room dropped out. REALLY SONOS!