Answered

Downgrade from 8.4 to 8.0?

• 28 February 2018
  • 2 replies

I use a Mac running MacOS X 10.9 Mavericks. I've been totally fine with the status quo of the past 3 or 4 updates that have limited the usability of my desktop controller but still allowed me to edit the queue and add music services. That's about all I need from my computer. But I made a horrible mistake to assume that the status quo was going to last forever. I didn't read the release notes for 8.4 before updating and now it says I have to update my entire computer's OS, which is not an option for me.

I wasn't expected MacOS X 9.0 support to be completely dropped with an seemingly insignificant incremental update (it was the update to 8.1.1 that killed it for me I think), and I think that a warning that my controller will become essentially bricked should be displayed before updating. Is there any possible way to downgrade my system's software from where it is currently (8.4) to 8.0 or below? I don't have any Sonos ONEs so that's not a problem. Or, if that's not feasible, are there any third-party desktop apps for controlling my system? It was such a nice convenience for me to be able to control my desk speaker from my computer.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 March 2018, 22:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi aschulz, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. If your Sonos players have already been updated to 8.4, then you'll need to update that computer to a newer version of OS X in order to run the Sonos app. Once updated, the Sonos players can't be put on older versions.

There are critical updates in both OS X and Sonos updates include fixes for some bad security issues that were recently discovered. If you can't update that computer, you'll need to use another device to control your Sonos system. There are free apps available for iOS and Android controllers. More details on system compatibility can be found here.
This is ridiculous not to have a warning that functioning systems will no longer work. I have 21" android touch screen tablets physically cut into and flush mounted in the drywall specifically for control of Sonos, they have no updates from the manufacturer and now without warning they don't work with Sonos?! There are no equivalent products to replace these with. I just realized the original post was from a year ago, but this just happened to me today April 2019 on my Nabi Big Tab Sonos says I must update my operating system which has no update.