Question

Downgrade for Windows XP compatibility

Userlevel 1
Badge
I understand that my chance for a positive answer is low, but is there any way to downgrade my Sonos system for Windows XP compatibility. I was incredibly disappointed to discover that in a minor version change (7.2 to 7.3), without displaying any warning during the upgrade process, Sonos borked, seemingly irrevocably, my ability to use my main control units (both running Windows XP) with Sonos.

I understand that I could have read the changelog, but it's not displayed by default when following the very prominent 'update now' prompt, and I figured that a minor update will solve, well, minor issues rather than break my system.

I am incredibly disappointed, and yet it seems that the only advice Sonos provides is: spend more money and change your system.

So, any possibility of a downgrade?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Sonos don't provide a means for a user to downgrade.

The prospect of using XP for anything serious and internet-facing now, 3 years after the end of support, doesn't bear thinking about. If your XP machines were just used for controlling Sonos can I suggest you invest in a cheap Amazon tablet instead?

For several versions prior to 7.3 XP has only been 'partially supported' anyhow, with reduced functionality.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you for your preaching. That is exactly what I was asking for.
I can completely understand why Sonos decided to end support for Windows XP. I don't need that explained to me. What I do not understand is why there was no warning during the update process that, if I'm using equipment that was supported up until now, I was about to lose that functionality.
Preaching? I made a constructive suggestion that you invested in a cheap tablet, thereby getting yourself a fully functional controller. If you've been using XP alone for controlling Sonos you've been lacking an ability to carry out admin tasks for quite some while.

I will however grant you that Sonos could perhaps have communicated the implications of the update more clearly.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had the ability to control Sonos without getting away from a computer I use for some other things which I am upset about losing. You told me how terrible my decision to use Windows XP was.

I also complained about being offered only solutions which cost me money. You offered me asolution that would cost me money.
In my opinion it is a terrible decision to continue with XP, on security grounds. I hung on till the last minute, but accepted the way the wind was blowing in 2014.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Would you consider starting your own thread about it? It might be a better place for such a discussion.
Why should I start a new thread about XP? I couldn't defend its use, and nor would any other posters unless they wanted to attract a barrage of criticism.

I suggested a course of action for you. It's not expensive. And considering how much money you've not had to pay for Sonos upgrades over all the years, I would say that's not a bad trade.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you for enlightening me on my financial situation as well as my Internet security and computing arrangements. It's really welcoming about Sonos community that a question elicits perhaps no answer to the original query, but a much more valuable bundle of life-changing and life-affirming advice instead.
Sonos staff are sparse at the weekend. You're more likely to get a response from a user, but given the reaction to a few constructive pointers be assured that you'll hear no more from this particular one.
I'll give you an answer. No. There is no way to downgrade, and even if there were, eventually you would lose functionality due to changes in streaming formats, security issues, standards, etc.

Now go ahead and let your frustration and anger cause you to lash out at me, too. :8
@OP- Ratty is just trying to give you some advice on what to do next.

You have IMO good reason to be pissed off. Sonos is fine to drop XP support, it's their business decision to make. But no warning is ridiculous, it should have warned you before install if only because you can't roll back.

XP risk is up to the OP and not a stick to poke him with, especially in the context of Sonos continued support of compromised samba for all users.
Userlevel 1
Badge
You know, the reason I am asking for a downgrade is not because I think it is such a great idea. And yes, I completely understand that if I did not update, I'd be at some point left behind as more and more services stopped working. Of course I know that (as a person still using Windows XP, I know it very well indeed). But there is a difference, and that is that I would have time to prepare, to make changes, and to decide at which point the benefits of staying with XP stop being worth it. As it is, I am suddenly being informed: well, we forgot to tell you, but you've just lost most of the functionality of your system. You can get it back, but it'll cost ya.

I hope that even if Sonos do not offer me a downgrade (which I still think they should in this situation), they will at least consider offering users a warning that the new version ditches some functionality (and it is up to the user to decide whether that functionality is important or not) as well as adding new features.

I do resent Ratty telling me how wrongheaded my choices are when he doesn't know (or care about) my circumstances. I am not going to get angry at people telling me I'm unlikely to get a downgrade (I even admitted that in my initial post).
I have a similar issue. Did the recent minor upgrade that had no warning about discontinued support, now my wife's older iPhone OS is unsupported. Her phone works fine and we don't want to update it, Sonos app used to work fine, now it doesn't, with no benefits.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Try sonophone app on your wife's phone to carry on controlling your sonos speakers.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonophone/id815251931?mt=8
http://sonophone.de/
Userlevel 2
My problem is similar: the whole of my Mac Pro (running OSX7 due to it being an early 2007 model) is now inaccessible... including the music library therein. So not only will the new controller not run, but the whole machine has disappeared. OSX7 on a Mac Pro, while 10 years old does everything I need...except run Sonos.
More warning would have been nice for such a major, irreversible, change. You know, Sonos, LARGE TYPE on the upgrade page rather than the last item in the read me notes.....
I always thought Sonos was the bees knees... I am now finding that my ipad and iphone SE need re-connecting quite often and the whole of my library just disappeared. "Upgrading software" as advised by Sonos would mean a new MAC....£2k plus.....Sonos would not get my vote for user aftercare certainly
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You could upload all your music to google play music, 50,000 tracks for free, and stream all your music from there.
Just sonos speakers and controllers needed then. Oh I just saved you £2k...;o))
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/
I am now finding that my ipad and iphone SE need re-connecting quite often and the whole of my library just disappeared.
That sounds like the kind of IP conflict which some users run into after an update. Restart the network. The library should be just as accessible via CIFS/SMB as it was before. It has nothing to do with the controller no longer running on that OS. A computer doesn't need to host a controller in order to serve music files.