Don't Like the New "Mute" Button Function As a Pause Button

Userlevel 1
I just completed the newest update, and I don't like that the speaker will not resume at the same volume level after holding the volume button. You have effectively removed the "Mute" function. Here's a suggestion for correction: Make the "Mute" button multifunctional: Momentary - Mute; Hold - Pause. If you can't do this, then return the mute function to the "Mute" button. We can still pause play with the Sonos application.

287 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Maybe the idea is to start at a reasonable level so as not to wake everybody up if you were away for long and forgot how loud you were playing. I'm fine with it the way it is. Possibly it could be a user setting deciding how you want it work.
Userlevel 3
Please make the function of the mute button configurable as either the new "pause/skip" function, or the old mute function. I understand how a pause button can be desirable, however I strongly prefer the old method, where the mute button muted just that one zone player. I was very fond of being able to mute one zone while I take a phone call without interrupting music in the rest of the house and then resume playback at the same volume level with one press of the mute button. I believe a configurable option would satisfy all customers, those that want a pause button and those that prefer how the system has always worked.
Userlevel 2
Badge
On ZP-120, the icon on its mute-button is an explicit indicator for a muting function. All these years, ZP-120 was designed to allow quick muting and its yellow LED light only comes on when user consciously mute the output. Now in ver-4.2, SONOS forced-fit play/pause function into this mute button which I do not see what good benefit it provides to SONOS user. Worst of all, it messed-up the original identity of the button and destroyed the clean design of a SONOS system that was aesthetically superior than any other wireless audio system out there. Please do not blindly follow those me-too wireless audio systems who provides load of buttons and functions that serve little purpose. SONOS is not a mass market product. It has a niche design and I selected SONOS because of the its clean layout and simple, intuitive user interface. The permanent turn-on of the yellow LED light just killed the clean & classy design, making it looks like any other cheap mass-market wireless audio products out there. Being a wireless system, it is least likely any SONOS users would expect to go and press the play/pause hard button on the component. Anyone who prefer to press a hard-button to play/pause playback is unlikely to invest in an expensive SONOS system that allow central control via a hand-held controller (CR100, ipad, iphone, ipod, etc). If SONOS insists to force-fit that play/pause function into the mute button, I will not challenge your decision. But I requests SONOS to provide an option for user to have that yellow LED light turns on ONLY if they consciously choose to mute the output. It is an eye-sore to see it turns on permanently. You mentioned "since a volume of 0 is the same as muting the zone." - which I disagreed. If that is true, SONOS should have implemented it right from the beginning, in which case I probably would not have invested in a SONOS system. Thank-you very much and I look forward to a decent solution to this customer dissatisfaction from SONOS.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello everyone, Thank you for the feedback regarding the change of functionality of the Mute button to Play / Pause. Just for clarification: even with the new Play / Pause button functionality, it is still possible to mute your Sonos player using the hard buttons. By holding down the Volume Minus button for a brief period, the volume will be reduced to zero and the green Mute light will illuminate, indicating the unit it muted. You can restore volume by pressing or holding the Volume Plus button. At this point, the green Mute light will turn off. That being said, we appreciate any and all comments and +1's regarding additional feedback you have on this function. Thanks.
Userlevel 3
Ryan E: Except if the global volume slider is turned up, the "muted" speaker will un-mute, since it's not really muted, it's volume level is just at zero. This is unexpected and undesirable behavior.
Userlevel 3
In perfect agreement with gsupp about the desirability of the old function. I appalled at Sonos pushing undesired new behaviours on my hardware without any way to opt out. Can I go back to the old firmware? Certainly, there is nothing useful for me in the new firmware and I could perfectly live with the old one--little did I know or suspect when I accepted the update that they would screw me up.... p.
My mute button is not working since 4.2. if i hold plus and mute it wants to connect. So nothing wrong with the physical button. What a bad update. Rebooted the unit http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1400/reboot Still no success. ALSO Why can't i save my playlist created on the sonos with this ip access?
Userlevel 1
Hello everyone, Thank you for the feedback regarding the change of functionality of the Mute button to Play / Pause. Just for clarification: even with the new Play / Pause button functionality, it is still possible to mute your Sonos player using the hard buttons. By holding down the Volume Minus button for a brief period, the volume will be reduced to zero and the green Mute light will illuminate, indicating the unit it muted. You can restore volume by pressing or holding the Volume Plus button. At this point, the green Mute light will turn off. That being said, we appreciate any and all comments and +1's regarding additional feedback you have on this function. Thanks.
You're not listening to the comments. We don't like the "Mute" button used as a "Pause" button. Please, give us the option to use it either way or return it to functioning as a "Mute" button.
Userlevel 2
I totally agree with other users critisicsm of the new function of the mute-button. It has all been said by the above comments, really, but just to add my voice I will list what I don't like about it: 1. I am presently playing music on Sonos-players in a group of 4 players in different rooms. If I am in a room and don't want to listen to music or the room is not used, the player used to be manually turned off by pressing the mute-button, and turned on by pressing same button. Now, pressing it turns off the whole system. Then Sonos tells me to mute by pressing volume down. That shuts down the player allright, but on the central control it is not muted, it's turned down. And when I turn the music up on the global volume control on any controller, the "muted" player comes back on. And please, Sonos DON'T fix this by making it muted on the central controller! 2. Sonos claims that the "muted" player will come back to the previous level when pressing the mute-button. It doesn't. It comes back to some preset level. 3. I never asked for Sonos to work any differently than it did. I bought it for a reason - it was a clean design with only 2 buttons on each player with very specific functions. The controller, whether it is the CR200 or on an Ipad, Iphone, Ipod, an Android device or a PC is a work of genious, the different options of streaming music are brilliant. Everything is so well thought of and continued to improve with every update - until now. The "clean" - idea has gone with the messing up of the button. 4. Sonos say they make changes which are requested by the users. I find it very hard to believe that true Sonos-users would request a feature like this. At least not at the cost of a very useful function and basically the whole idea of Sonos. If you want features like that you don't buy Sonos which is designed as a multiroom/multiplayer system. The new function makes absolutely no sense in a multiplayer environment where it is more logical to use a controller. That feature ONLY makes sense if you are using Sonos as a single room player. In which case there are lots of other systems out there. If you want to make Sonos mainstream - design a new player with more buttons for those who want that. I could go on - but I think I have made my point. Along with all the others which has commented. And make no mistake about it - I love my Sonos system. But I hate this new function. So - if anyone out there knows how to revert the update, please tell me. Or - if Sonos is listening - make it go away - or at least be an option. And let the old function be the default setting.
I said this on the blog post but wanted to make sure I added my voice to the conversation here. 

This seriously sucks! This is not the way I wanted to use my Sonos, and my use case is apparently not at all your use case. I want mute to always be mute, and I don't want to always have to have a conversation about why the buttons are mislabeled or why every time someone one tries to mute they turn off all the music in the house. I see your canned "just long press volume down" response above, but that is a crappy workaround to a problem I didn't want in the first place.

The Sonos was working great the way it was, music was just playing and the device itself just kind of existed in the background without having to think about it too much. Now I'm annoyed every time I want to just mute the music quickly and easily because someone else decided their idea about how things should be had to be inflicted on me.

Give me a way to choose this for myself in the software, and don't default to an option where the hardware button label is wrong.
I totally agree with other users critisicsm of the new function of the mute-button. It has all been said by the above comments, really, but just to add my voice I will list what I don't like about it: 1. I am presently playing music on Sonos-players in a group of 4 players in different rooms. If I am in a room and don't want to listen to music or the room is not used, the player used to be manually turned off by pressing the mute-button, and turned on by pressing same button. Now, pressing it turns off the whole system. Then Sonos tells me to mute by pressing volume down. That shuts down the player allright, but on the central control it is not muted, it's turned down. And when I turn the music up on the global volume control on any controller, the "muted" player comes back on. And please, Sonos DON'T fix this by making it muted on the central controller! 2. Sonos claims that the "muted" player will come back to the previous level when pressing the mute-button. It doesn't. It comes back to some preset level. 3. I never asked for Sonos to work any differently than it did. I bought it for a reason - it was a clean design with only 2 buttons on each player with very specific functions. The controller, whether it is the CR200 or on an Ipad, Iphone, Ipod, an Android device or a PC is a work of genious, the different options of streaming music are brilliant. Everything is so well thought of and continued to improve with every update - until now. The "clean" - idea has gone with the messing up of the button. 4. Sonos say they make changes which are requested by the users. I find it very hard to believe that true Sonos-users would request a feature like this. At least not at the cost of a very useful function and basically the whole idea of Sonos. If you want features like that you don't buy Sonos which is designed as a multiroom/multiplayer system. The new function makes absolutely no sense in a multiplayer environment where it is more logical to use a controller. That feature ONLY makes sense if you are using Sonos as a single room player. In which case there are lots of other systems out there. If you want to make Sonos mainstream - design a new player with more buttons for those who want that. I could go on - but I think I have made my point. Along with all the others which has commented. And make no mistake about it - I love my Sonos system. But I hate this new function. So - if anyone out there knows how to revert the update, please tell me. Or - if Sonos is listening - make it go away - or at least be an option. And let the old function be the default setting.
I totally agree with you on all points, but I think for me your 4th point really articulated why this is such a problem for me. Beyond the fact that they ruined what was such a clean layout and design that required very little thought on the part of the user standing in front of the physical device, the fact that the button press changes the music playback for the entire house where before it only affect that one room is key for me. 

I purchased 3 Play 3's, a Play 5, and a bridge because I wanted a solid whole home audio system. I wanted to be able to have the same music playing throughout my entire house at all times. If I needed silence in one of the rooms, I just quickly and easily tapped the mute button and I got the silence I wanted without bothering anyone else's experience. Now the same button turns the music off in the whole house, which is pretty much never what I want. If that was my goal, I would have grabbed my phone and hit pause. (long pressing on volume down is not an acceptable substitute, no matter how many times you try to get me to buy that narrative)

Now you may be thinking to yourself "well, I may be an engineer, but you as a normal person should eventually just learn the new way, right. What are you, stupid?". The point here is that you've introduced a cognitive dissonance into the situation, so every time I have to use the button, there's a thought process that has to occur to remember why the hardware button doesn't do a) what it always did before and b) what it's labelled to do. It's annoying and it tweaks me not only every time I use it, but every time I have to explain to someone else why the music shut off in all the rooms. We have to have a conversation where before there was just this device doing what it was told, and not trying to outsmart the user. I feel like the Sonos is saying, "You think you want to do x, but I think you really want to do y, so I will just do that a) without giving you an option to disable my desire to second-guess your intentions or b) having the interface that would be necessary for something like this to even begin to make sense". Sorry Sonos, I need you to just do what you are told.
Userlevel 2
Very well said. You are absolutely right. Now we are thousands of Sonos users ("The users formerly known as Happy"......) with equipment that doesn't do what the label on the button says. I found a post somewhere in the Sonos support forum where a user actually requested a functionality like this. It was clear that the person was using Sonos as a single player, and in my opinion had made a bad choice in buying Sonos. It also rises the question - what's next? Double and triple pressing Volume Up and Down? Or pressing buttons simultaneously? The players just wasn't designed for this from the beginning. Sonos should be the first to know that. My only worry is that there are so few comments in here that Sonos might choose to ignore them - but I just can't believe that the majority of users agrees with this new function. An idea for Sonos could be making a player with a built in controller that could be used as a single player or as the master control - that would actually be pretty neat.
Userlevel 1
Grumpy old men 🙂 Love the new function, people complaining about the mute symbol no longer represent the actual function, is confusing and kill the whole beauty of Sonos - should stop and think. Sonos need to be progressive and cannot get stucked on a old design. If one cannot keep track of three buttons then bye a radio with a tuner wheel 🙂 Installed Sonos in all rooms one week prior to the "terrible" update. As Sonos now is the only source of sound in the house, we feared that it would give som challenges to our son (3 years old), but he quickly got the three buttons functions. After the upgrade we had to spend some three minutes to make him understand the changes - he is now easily turning volume up/down, pausing and best of all skipping to next song. SO IF A CHILD CAN FIGURE OUT - YOU SHOULD AS WELL 🙂 One option is of cause to make the buttons configurable - to satisfy the statics and still move forward... However !! The point of mute not get registered on the controllers/app should need some attention, as a mute system shouldn't response to volume up/down from the controllers. I am sure that this will be fixed in a later update. Also it would be great if someone could come up with a great way to move backwards in the play queue using the buttons. (After all, the controller is a little hard for a child. A "light" version of the controller would be really great - targeted for children and "mature" grandparents . One that can be locked to specific rooms, and use custom images for rooms etc.)
Userlevel 2
Grumpy old men 🙂 Love the new function, people complaining about the mute symbol no longer represent the actual function, is confusing and kill the whole beauty of Sonos - should stop and think. Sonos need to be progressive and cannot get stucked on a old design. If one cannot keep track of three buttons then bye a radio with a tuner wheel 🙂 Installed Sonos in all rooms one week prior to the "terrible" update. As Sonos now is the only source of sound in the house, we feared that it would give som challenges to our son (3 years old), but he quickly got the three buttons functions. After the upgrade we had to spend some three minutes to make him understand the changes - he is now easily turning volume up/down, pausing and best of all skipping to next song. SO IF A CHILD CAN FIGURE OUT - YOU SHOULD AS WELL 🙂 One option is of cause to make the buttons configurable - to satisfy the statics and still move forward... However !! The point of mute not get registered on the controllers/app should need some attention, as a mute system shouldn't response to volume up/down from the controllers. I am sure that this will be fixed in a later update. Also it would be great if someone could come up with a great way to move backwards in the play queue using the buttons. (After all, the controller is a little hard for a child. A "light" version of the controller would be really great - targeted for children and "mature" grandparents . One that can be locked to specific rooms, and use custom images for rooms etc.)
Well - I can live with being a grumpy old man. This is not a case of figuring it out - this i a major change to the very reason for buying Sonos in the first place. However, I do respect that you have a different opinion. But the whole lot of grumpy comments could have been avoided if Sonos had made it an option - and not forced the new functionality on all us poor backwards, static, grumpy old men. If we let this go unchallenged, what would be next - square pizzas...?:)
Hi,

Just to add my voice to this, I've got a variety of Sonos components and the change in behavior is very annoying; often I'll be listening to music downstairs and my spouse will be upstairs and put the kid to bed, suddenly I'm sat in silence and wondering where I left my phone (upstairs usually). This is really clumsy design change, and I'm not impressed that the buttons on the Play:1 don't match everything else. I can see that some people may prefer this, but it's so a jarring change in a system which previous had such a high wife-acceptability factor that we need the option to set the behavior of the buttons on a per-room basis rather a clumsy system-wide mandatory change. The per-device change is important, as I'd like this functionality to stay on one specific component as it's the last device I walk past as I walk out the door and being able to mute the whole system without  having to hunt for my phone would actually be helpful.

Please Sonos, continue to listen to user feedback!
Cool and all, but is not discoverable for someone not used to Sonos and just wants to mute the player. The speaker with a line through it is much more discoverable, but now with unintended consequences. Someone wanting to simply pause one player in a back room at a party to make a phone call wouldn't know this and could inadvertently kill the music for the whole party. Not cool.
Also, this doesn't allow a pure mute/un-mute. When un-muting it's now quieter than it was before. We should be able to purely mute/un-mute like any other audio consumer electronic (like this one until just recently).
Uh, plenty of people figured it out pretty quick. They don't like it (including myself). Notice the difference? Instead of personal attacks against an anonymous group of people which doesn't promote this new feature you like, try countering what many people have put forward as evidence that this is a bad feature. Vinegar vs. honey, yes?
Userlevel 1
Just A follow up. Like the idea of: - single press -> mute (device) - hold -> pause ( group) - double click -> next track Grumpy - but with good ideas 🙂
Userlevel 3
It's not about figuring it out. We're not stupider than your 3 year old, but thanks for the insult anyway. It's about changing the function of a hardware button to satisfy a subset of users that apparently never group multiple players together. If you use each zone player standalone or only have one, then a play/pause button makes sense. If you have a group of for example 4 zone players throughout your house playing the same music in sync, a play/pause button doesn't make sense. I want to mute just the music that is playing in that specific area or room, not cut off music in the entire house. If you only have 1 or 2 sonos zoneplayers and use them as separate Internet radios, you bought the wrong device. There are plenty of other wireless Internet radio devices for sale that would satisfy your desires for multiple hardware buttons to control music from the player itself. Some even have screens built in, ie http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/smart-radios
Userlevel 2
Just A follow up. Like the idea of: - single press -> mute (device) - hold -> pause ( group) - double click -> next track Grumpy - but with good ideas :)
Still not a good idea to add functions to a button clearly marked with the international symbol for "Mute". Kind of like "Honk the horn twice to start the windscreen wipers - and if you really want to use the horn please apply brakes and open bonnet first". If people so desperately want functions like that, don't buy Sonos. Or ask Sonos to develop a player with hop, skip and jump-buttons.
Well Sonos, looks like you stuffed up this time. I'm currently using a play: 5 as a standalone system and will be upgrading the TV room to a 5.1 Sonos system soon. The very first thought I had reading the description of the new functionality was "what idiot came up with that, they obviously didn't think that through". Sorry, but that was honestly my first thought. As far as I'm concerned I think your idea is great but your execution is misguided. This new functionality needed to be introduced as a configurable "option". To be fair, it has merit in some situations, but not all, BUT, worst of all you took something that we had paid good money for and then imposed a change most of us didn't want and gave us no ability to change it back. You need to address that and not repeat the mistake.
Userlevel 3
Jeff is right: "worst of all you took something that we had paid good money for and then imposed a change most of us didn't want and gave us no ability to change it back". Call me old and grumpy, but I bought my system, paid good money for it, and now someone is changing MY device to do something that affects its functionality: I do not want it (no matter how many other people like it--it is *MY* device, after all, and *I* do not like it), I am not given a chance to opt out, and I cannot go back to the last firmware. How dare they?! Yes, I did accept the update, but under the assumption that an update corrects bugs--not that it makes changes to the functionality of MY system! I contacted technical support and they tell me that there is no way to go back to the old firmware--which is certainly not true, but probably their update system is so botched that it needs operations they do not want to tell me about or they fear I cannot perform.

I bought a hardware device with some functionality. Has the company who produced it the right to change *ANY* functionality of what they have already sold me? I don't think so: they can only fix their errors or add new functionality, if they want, not remove or change any. But I must be getting too old for this world....

p.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Please give users the choice. It's as simple as adding a checkbox on the controller configuration.

Personally, I find that in order to justify the poor physical interface, buttons should refer to immediate functions.
Just ask yourself one question: is it more likely for anyone in the house to mute the closest speaker or pause the entire household?
Ask yourself another question: is it worse to press the button with the intention of muting the room you are in and then discovering you muted only the entire house (disappointing everyone) or viceversa?

Then, nice idea the doubleclick to skip to the next song, what about a triple click to restart the current song and skipping back?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Not to mention the fact that now I have "old" (6 months) speakers with the mute button and the new speaker with the play/pause button.

Wouldn't make a great difference, if the mute button was not lit by a led...

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings