Answered

don't automatically add to queue

• 2 January 2018
  • 3 replies

hello,
recently, my sonos started adding all songs i play (i usually play from the music library) to my queue. when the selected songs finish playing, sonos plays the queue - so sonos plays my selections twice. if i don't clear the queue, new songs are appended and the replay gets very long.
how to i tell sonos not to add songs to the queue, and/or not to play the queue after it completes my current selection?
icon

Best answer by Alan_6 3 January 2018, 13:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Is this you using the "play next" or "play now" option instead of "play all"? Whether the selection inserts-into or replaces the queue by default is a decision left to individual play buttons, and doesn't take into account the active/expired queue context. The default insert position for an expired queue is after track 1. So it's easy to click the "play album or playlist followed by tracks 2-end of yesterday's listening" button if you're not careful. Note also that clicking on a single track defaults to a CD-style "play from here to end of album". Yes, this is all terrible, unintuitive UI design. And given the inaction of the last 18 months, Sonos will almost certainly never fix this. Be aware which play buttons do a "clear queue and play" and which just do an "insert somewhere and play". Unless you've just stumbled on some really weird bug...
Hi Alan - thank you. I have been using the Play Now button, both before when it was working, and still recently when songs started getting inserted at end of queue (and then replayed as you noted). Using the Replace Queue does just what i want, but I don't think i've used it before, and wouldn't have noticed without your post. Don't know why it appears to be different now, but thanks for the fix!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi Alan - thank you. I have been using the Play Now button, both before when it was working, and still recently when songs started getting inserted at end of queue (and then replayed as you noted). Using the Replace Queue does just what i want, but I don't think i've used it before, and wouldn't have noticed without your post. Don't know why it appears to be different now, but thanks for the fix!

Since the v7 switch to a supposed "queues get replaced when they expire" approach, individual play buttons have chosen whether to insert or replace. Over time, Sonos have made tweaks to how it works, and we're mostly left with a bunch of "play next" buttons that have no purpose in an expired queue context, but it's not yet intuitive, and you do sometimes just have to learn which buttons match your use-case (I tend to go for a safety "play-all" to replace yesterday's queue with a new selection). But glad I could help clear up some of the confusion.