Answered

Does Sonos S2 support SMB V2 V3?

I just updated flawlessly to S2 & V12. Are SMB shares with v2 or better v3 supported by now?

icon

Best answer by Wanderlust 12 December 2021, 20:13

View original

55 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

That makes sense, and would seem to agree with reality. tx. It would be nice if Sonos had an accurate document of which protocols are required for both S1 and S2. As it is there’s only “teh internet”. I can assure you “teh internet” has claims that S2 also requires SMB1, but I can easily believe those posts are incorrect.

Like the content of this FAQ? Or are you asking for more information?

That makes sense, and would seem to agree with reality. tx. It would be nice if Sonos had an accurate document of which protocols are required for both S1 and S2. As it is there’s only “teh internet”. I can assure you “teh internet” has claims that S2 also requires SMB1, but I can easily believe those posts are incorrect.

There would definitely be claims that SMB1 was required, because a year or more ago SMB1 was required. That’s a fact. But, those claims would be timestamped. If you know of any forum that it still saying that SMB1 is required with no follow-up posts since SMB2 onwards is supported, do let me know I’d be happy to login and update that forum.

S1 still requires SMB v1. There wasn’t enough space in memory on the Sonos devices to update the linux kernel to allow the use of later versions of SMB.

S2 can use up to SMB v3.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

thanks everyone! Been meaning to update to S2, so this may give me the kick that I need. TX again for the great info.