Question

Does Sonos play music itself or via iOS device?

• 20 November 2016
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi,

I'm considering to buy a Sonos speakers, however, I didn't found out how does it play music. When I use the Sonos app in iPhone, what is the source of the music playing? Does the Sonos speaker play it directly from the internet or does it play via iPhone same as AirPlay? Do I need to have the app in iPhone running all the time or I just tap the play button and then I can close the app and the Sonos will still be playing the music/radio?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

The Sonos units stream directly from the source. The controller apps are just that: controllers. They issue commands to the players. Once the music is playing the controller can be turned off or leave the building. The music will play on.
The only exception to this is if you use an iPhone to play content it has stored on it, from its iTunes library, using the My Music icon. Music will then stream from the device to the Sonos unit selected, and will stop if the device is out of range or turned off.

But this is a rarely needed feature I imagine; I haven't needed to use it in years.
The only exception to this is if you use an iPhone to play content it has stored on it
How quaint. 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi guys, thanks a lot for clarification:) now I just need to figure out what I wanna buy as a first speaker Play1 or Play3:)
Go for a PLAY:1. The PLAY:3 is the oldest of the current models. PLAY:1 has slightly less bass but is IMO more tuneful. A stereo pair would knock a single PLAY:3 for six.
I am one, but is every Sonos user a cricket fan as well?:-)
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I'll probably go with the play1 due to price. It's the first Sonos so I don't want to spend a lot of money for the first time. And as you mentioned, two play1 should be better than one play3 (from what I've found out on the web). So one play1 now and second one later to create stereo. ...and later on sub and later on plabar
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you wait a bit, sonos might do their play:1 twin starter packs for xmas again, which will save you a bit of money and give you multi-room.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Really, they do that? That would be great! Hopefully they do that this year. Thanks for info;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yeah, they've occasionally had a Play:1 two-pack that would sell for $349 USD, saving $50 off the price of two separate Play:1 speakers. Similar savings in other countries too. Both are the same color though, so if you wanted white for one room and black for another, that wouldn't be possible.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
No, black only;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
There are rumours of £30 off PLAY:1 on black Friday as well, then £30 off all play speakers till jan 6th (last bit sounds a bit unlikely to me).
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
If it would be discount even for black friday, it would be great
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How about $150 per speaker?

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonos-speaker-on-sale-at-150-for-black-friday/
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Well, that's in USA, I live in Europe so hopefully, they'll have some good offer too:)
MikeV,

You should warn a guy when the link takes you to a website that has an autoplay video. :)

Thanks for the info. Since I moved, I've been needing another pair of Play:1s. This might be the right time.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
So I've just ordered the double packet of Play:1! The shipping takes 2 days...sooo long!!! Can't wait that long
Laugh. I did the same thing. They've arrived (thanks, Apple store!), and my library now has music!
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Why the hell nobody told me about Sonos before? I've just set up 2xPlay:1 in stereo in about 3 minutes and the sound is awesome! 🙂
Sorry about that. We all thought you knew!