Question

Does Sonos desktop controller work with Windows XP?

• 12 December 2012
  • 5 replies

I was instructed to update my Sonos desktop controller software on my laptop running Windows XP. However, following the download I was told that my OS did not support the Sonos desktop. Is it correct that XP is not supported? Thanks. Andy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi Andy, The Sonos Desktop Controller does work with Windows XP, but you must have Service Pack 3 installed. Below are our system requirements for PC: PC running Windows® XP SP3 or higher, Windows Vista™, Windows 7, Windows 8
Badge +2
Is this still true? I cant get it to run with SP3..and the controller wont start until it updates...and then the update fails....f*&^*( ing annoyed that I have a load of Sonos stuff that is only useful as door stops at the moment
XP is only partly supported by Sonos now. Which is more than can be said for Microsoft.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127/~/sonos-system-requirements

Do you not have any other controller device? If not, a few £/$ for an Amazon Fire tablet is an option.
Badge +2
OK, that is a way...but if you say it is partially supported, how is it installed.

I jsut tried on a machien that has never had SOnos on it..a fresh install on a Win XP SP3 machien and it wont install, even to give limited functaniolaty

Any hints appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry I have no idea on that... it might be firewall issues .but it might not be. I think there is potential for you to waste a lot of time here getting to an unsatisfactory result. So I'd recommend calling Sonos Support to see if they can help with the install.... and order that Fire tablet if you have no other device!