Question

do you have issues with Microsoft and thats why there's no windows app

• 4 November 2014
  • 41 replies

do you have issues with Microsoft and thats why there's no windows app

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

so what your saying no one doing it so we wont

that a very selfish attitude you have glad you are one of very few people who are like that
Not selfish, just reality.  Name calling does not really help your cause. 😉
Don't see where I called you any name just pointed out that it was a very selfish way to look at it
dont
It's not selfish, it is realistic.  I never called for Sonos to not develop a Windows app, I only explained a perfectly valid reason why they are not developing one at this time.  Calling me selfish for simply pointing out the reality of the situation is indeed name calling.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
There are several 3rd party apps on Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 like Phonos. 
Perhaps the answer is for sonos to develop one of the third-party apps and provide it free
Or perhaps the answer is for Windows to obtain enough market penetration to allow Sonos to develop an app that will benefit them financially.
How will it benefit them financially the apps they already have are free
It will benefit them because the larger potential market offsets the cost of developing the app. Would you spend millions to sell thousands, or would you wait until you could sell millions?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
This usually goes the other way around, where the OEM (Microsoft) sponsors the vendor (Sonos). Likely Sonos is not on their radar (not a big surprise as Microsoft aims for Android/Apple market shares) or they can't find an agreement.
But this is pure speculation 😉
If it was just about the money why develop any apps, people would normally have a pc with windows or a Macbook which can control sonos
it
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The landscape is certainly changing but for a company of the size of Sonos its a challenge to assign developers to a platform like Windows 8 / Windows 8 Phone when they have plenty of feature requests and bug fixes on iPhone and Android in the pipeline.

Help is in sight with Microsoft's "universal development platform" for Windows which should allow Sonos to use the code from their existing Windows controller app and reuse most of it across all Windows devices including Windows Phone and XBox.
On my recent question for a Windows Phone app (after insisting - and the standard initial reply of we don't have any news) Sonos support replied that they do not have an active alpha/beta program for Windows Phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Interesting in the fact others have posted screenshots from developer site at Microsoft showing it. As always I guess we have to wait and see.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I hate to participate in thread necromancy, but Lamaara is exactly right. The Windows mobile share is less than 1% according to most sources at this time.

For comparison, at the rate of sales for 4Q 2016 - there would be roughly the same number of Android devices sold every day that Windows moved annually. It simply isn't worth the R&D dollars.