Question

do you have issues with Microsoft and thats why there's no windows app

• 4 November 2014
  • 41 replies

do you have issues with Microsoft and thats why there's no windows app

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Clarifying - there is a Windows App (Windows Desktop App)

There is no mobile app.
Userlevel 2
I'd say "issues" is putting it mildly. I firmly believe that the CIO or CTO at Sonos absolutely hates Microsoft.

There is no mobile app.

so can you provide a link where i can get the app for my windows 8.1 surface tablet or my windows 8.1 desktop
Userlevel 1

There is no mobile app.

http://www.sonos.com/redir/controller_software_pc

Windows Desktop App

PC Software Requirements
  • PC running Windows® XP SP3 or higher, Windows Vista™, Windows 7, Windows 8.
  • 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better.
  • Latest Windows service packs recommended.
  • Internet connection for access to Internet radio stations and online software updates (DSL, cable modem or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended).
I'd say "issues" is putting it mildly. I firmly believe that the CIO or CTO at Sonos absolutely hates Microsoft.

Couldn't it just be that it's not worth developing a mobile app. I know just one person who has a windows phone and that's my dad!
Sonos can not develop for every platform so you have to chose the ones with broadest adoption. 

Why cant they develop apps for every platform other companies can do it

I notice that there is no denial of an issue between Microsoft and sonos
II
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You think sonos is going to respond to this thread?
Userlevel 1

Is there an example for "the other companies"? in regards to multiroom systems?

There is no mobile app.

But this doesn't work on windows 8.1 RT so its only half a solution

Perhaps not with multiroom systems but there are 100's of windows apps that are available on all platforms Facebook, twitter, google+ instagram
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There is no mobile app.

Maybe your question should have said windows rt 8.1. He answered the question asked.

But not for multiroom audio, right?
Userlevel 1

Wow. That's logic for Beginners. Look at other multiroom systems like Raumfeld or Bluesound. No App for Windows Phone ether.

Rainer

@Iain,

So right now there is no competitor of Sonos who offers a Windows app?  Do all these other companies (Raumfeld, Bluesound, Denon, Samsung, Bose, etc) also "have issues with Microsoft", or their "the CIO or CTO . . .  absolutely hates Microsoft."? 

Or could the real reason be that the low margin hardware world of CE, specifically Multi-room audio, sees no reason to support a mobile OS which has a very low market penetration?

A lot more Windows Phones are sold than Mac OS X computers. For Q3/2014: 9.3 million Lumia phones (other WP phones not even included) and only 4.5 million Mac OS X computers. So, if it's only about the numbers, why is there an OS X app and no WP app?

Because many, many users store their music on their computers.  That's also why there is a Windows PC application.  The fact is, in the mobile OS world, Windows is a distant third.  Sonos didn't bring out an Android app until Android market penetration was worth the man-hours and expense.  It had nothing to do with Sonos hating Google.
What has surprised me is some people trying to defend the undefendable when there is a blatant problem that a company like sonos cant or wont produce an app for a particular software platform
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe Microsoft should be pushing development by third parties more or providing more incentives. The fact is they have some major catching up to do. It is a fact that windows mobile apps are lacking from a lot of major developers. It is one of the biggest things holding back the platform. Trying to single out specific companies that have not developed windows apps could keep you very busy.
What has surprised me is some people trying to defend the undefendable when there is a blatant problem that a company like sonos cant or wont produce an app for a particular software platform
Nobody is defending it.  It is what it is, i.e. the makers of multi-room audio systems will not support a mobile OS that does not have a large enough market penetration.  What it is not is some conspiracy laden BS like "the CIO or CTO . . .  absolutely hates Microsoft!"
so what your saying no one doing it so we wont
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We.... I don't see any we's (Sonos) here
No, what I am saying is that more than likely when the penetration of Windows mobile gets to be somewhere around where Android was when they released that app, Sonos will support it.  As will other manufacturers who will now see it as a viable market.  Bottom line is, Windows percentage of the market is not high enough.  When it gets to be high enough, it will get attention.

By the way, you can check the forums for old posts on the Android app.  The same BS arguments were made about "Sonos hates Google!!" and "Sonos is in bed with Apple!!" and people were saying the same things about market penetration.  And guess what?  When Android grabbed enough of the market . . . lo and behold . . . Sonos put out an Android app.
Perhaps in stead of making excuses for the lack of a windows phone app we should all get together and put pressure on Sonos to develop an app
Why should I do that? I own Android devices. And reasons are not excuses. Maybe you should spend more time convincing more people to use Windows devices, that is the only way you'll get your app.