Display song lyrics in sonos app

• 9 October 2012
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
There is more than enough room on iPad app to display song lyrics - why can't I see all the ID3 tags in Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

If I were Sonos, and wanted to actually implement this, I'd include it into the API that they provide their music vendors, and let those people have the responsibility of feeding the data in or not. That would absolve them of any issues with the "the lyrics don't match" kind of thing.

It might be a challenge for them to implement it on their own, as they'd need to be intrusive in getting the song name from each streaming vendor, and then connecting to a database to get the lyric information, and then sending it from the speaker where the stream is being played back to your controller, thus taking up additional bandwidth.

But in the list of things that they need to implement, it's probably fairly low.
Good points, that makes very good sense.

Considering the recent Spotify integration, it would propobaly make more sense to have additional music services utilise the Sonos speakers like the spotify app does, rather than having Sonos including too many rarely used features in the app.

Personally I think Roon seems as a promising system, since it also integrates ones personal music library, and appears to support a lot of nifty features.

it will be interesting too see what the future holds in store for Sonos integration in more systems.
Userlevel 2
Some points in terms of difficulty:

1. Pandora ALREADY supports this! So, for Pandora integration with sonos, ALL they have to do is forward the info that is ALREADY there to their app.

2. In terms of sync, i am SURE a ton of the people on here would be happy if they could AT LEAST supply the lyrics, without even attempting to sync it up with the song.

3. Yes, in terms of supporting it for ALL the Sonos sources, that may be a bit more difficult, depending on the source in question. HOWEVER, again, they don't have to do everything at once. Supply the lyrics for the sources that they can implement easily, like pandora, initially. INSTEAD THEY ARE SIMPLY IGNORING THEIR USER BASE FOR YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROGRESS WHATSOEVER!!!

COME ON SONOS, GET OFF YOUR AZZZ!
We are brand-new to the Sonos experience. We purchased hey set of player one speakers and then quickly purchased several more for each of the rooms in our home. We are now experimenting with different streaming services. We are semi retired and listen to music/podcasts most hours of the day.
We're very surprised there is a link to lyrics as someone above has articulated.
We see this thread goes back quite time. Does Sonos personnel ever respond to these comments?
Infrequently, and only to remind us that they don't share the roadmap in most circumstances. So we've no idea if they're not working on it, all the way to "it will be released tomorrow". I suspect it's not the highest issue on the backlog, though.
Cocky of them! Thank you.
I'd say it's intelligent, although frustrating to us consumers, but you're most welcome.

On the other hand, it's an entirely additional level of communication that would have to be added. Right now, all of the "smarts" of Sonos is in the speaker, and the controller is merely a "remote control" device. They've already got the feature to push the song name to the controller, but they'd have to open up additional data paths to push the lyrics across. And probably have to pay someone to have access to them, etc. It's not a 10 minute fix issue, I'd suspect. A few things to think about and implement, and then deal with the complaints (" Why did you show my kids those explicit lyrics?" or "Why are you only showing lyrics on streamer company X and not on streaming company Y?")

Unfortunately, much of what is done by Sonos is complicated by the fact that they're just an aggregator. So they end up depending on the third party vendors to supply all of the data through the Sonos API, not only to the speaker for music reproduction, but then on to the controller, assuming it's connected.