Disappointment with Sonos - On This iOS Removal

Userlevel 2
Badge
Yesterday Sonos removed “from this device” function from my apple iPhone. From their previous communications I knew this was coming but hoped that they would leave it as an option, even as a somewhat flawed option.

I am aware of the workaround fixes, they do not fit my needs. I have a NAS, my library there contains thousands of additional music files that are not on my phone. I do not wish to hear most of them on a regular rotation nor do I wish to search thought them everytime I would like to hear a particular song or artist. Additionally, the “from this device” was great for the Speakers in my children’s rooms as there is material on my NAS library that is not suitable for them, but they could play freely from their devices, on which I manage the content.

There will be people who respond that say this is just one minor feature, but the number of threads on this topic indicate that the use of this feature is widespread throughout the customer base. There will be people who respond and say this is Apples doing, but Apple did not tout this as feature for their product. Sonos has removed functionality from their product and put the onus of correcting it on their own customers.

At the end of the day this sets set a bad precedent. Maybe a Sonos will remove more features because of advancing technology challenges, maybe even a feature that some of the people defending Sonos care about. I own many Sonos products and I can with 100% certainty that I will not purchase anymore of their products because of this decision that Sonos implemented with disregard of a large section of their customers wishes. Additionally, anytime I am asked, I will advise potential buyers to look at other products.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

That’s why I provided a link to the main thread where alternatives are offered. It’s never a great thing when you have to change your habits, but fortunately there are several options.
The search function on this website sucks, so people can piss off with their "there are 100 threads on this already."

I had the same problem. I returned my speakers yesterday for a full refund. Kudos Sonos - great speakers, but absolutely stupid backwards non-compatibility issue and zero information on the website when this happened.

Garbage support.
May I suggest that you peruse the main thread on this, which offers, and discusses many options, ranging from free to not?

All of these solutions keep the simplicity of playing your music on the Sonos, and you can continue to use the iOS device as a controller....you just can't store your music there, for Sonos' purposes.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Grandmaster If you're interested in solutions, you could just put your music into two folders on your NAS and only index one on Sonos.

Thank you Jeff. Honestly, one of the main attractions to Sonos how simple and clean it was to operate. I try to keep a central repository and push files downstream to devices, by adding a second folder it forces me to maintain two separate locations each time I want to add files. If I want to access something that does not currently reside in the folder, I would have to copy the file to the second folder and then update my music index whereas before the change, I could simply browse to my music library instead of my phone.

I do appreciate the suggestion as I would very much like to find a solutions that provides me with the functionally I had up to yesterday that does not involve me investing more dollars for new products or continuous effort to maintain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Grandmaster If you're interested in solutions, you could just put your music into two folders on your NAS and only index one on Sonos.

Obviously to bring new attention something that disappoints me, similar to that of your reply.

Nothing is really "new" when it already has close to 1000 posts dealing with the issue. Sonos knows how many people used this feature, and what the impact is. You aren't really telling them anything they do not already know.

And why that would be similar to my reply, I find confusing.

Is there a limit to the number of threads that can be created that I am unaware of?

Not really, although if people keep insisting on starting new threads that are simply repeats of issues already well covered (such as yours) the mods will eventually combine them. Overall, it tends to help your case to keep all complaints in one thread, rather than scatter them to the winds, which does nothing but clutter up the fora, water down the responses, and make a legitimate complaint into that of a "Look at me! I'm special!" type of nuisance.
Userlevel 2
Badge

And there are at least a half dozen threads already dealing with this issue that you could have posted in, including two that you could have replied directly to the Sonos announcement. That's my only point.

Which brings the question: Why exactly did you create an entirely new thread, when you obviously have read through the others?

Obviously to bring new attention something that disappoints me, similar to that of your reply. Is there a limit to the number of threads that can be created that I am unaware of?
And you needed to reply for this? It is permissible for me to voice my dissatisfaction with the decision to remove this feature as much as you are allowed to voice your dissatisfaction to each post. I understand that this does not impact you, and that is OK. There is a large part of the customer base that this does impact and I believe in providing feedback.

And there are at least a half dozen threads already dealing with this issue that you could have posted in, including two that you could have replied directly to the Sonos announcement. That's my only point.

Which brings the question: Why exactly did you create an entirely new thread, when you obviously have read through the existing ones? Is there something special about your disappointment that sets it apart from all others?
Userlevel 2
Badge
And you needed to start yet another brand new thread for this?

And you needed to reply for this? It is permissible for me to voice my dissatisfaction with the decision to remove this feature as much as you are allowed to voice your dissatisfaction to each post. I understand that this does not impact you, and that is OK. There is a large part of the customer base that this does impact and I believe in providing feedback.
And you needed to start yet another brand new thread for this?