Disappointing

• 24 October 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Dear Sonos,

I’ve been a loyal customer of Sonos since the first generation of players were released over a decade and a half ago. My extended family are loyal Sonos users, and in our combined properties we have purchased dozens of players over the years. Sonos has been hands down best home stereo product since the advent of digital CDs. We have never hesitated to recommend Sonos as the only solution when it comes to home audio. Over the years, we’ve applauded Sonos’ advances in hardware and software.

However, the recent spate of onerous firmware updates is now making the system unusable.

In recent months, I have had two forced software updates prevented me from using my system for hours. This happened because my phone updated the app when at work. Then I would get home to find out that the new app was incompatible with the player firmware. The last update was especially insulting, when it forced me to confirm my email address. (As if that is what I want to do when I am preparing for my dinner guests to arrive and the !@#$ing stereo isn't working.) Another “feature” of these updates is that no TV’s work while they go on. So, the stereo and the TVs are offline for the hour that Sonos figures out how to update a dozen or so players.

These updates offered no features that I ever plan on using. (In my book, Sonos has been feature complete for 10+ years with the exception of not allowing the export of playlists to an external file.) However, I understand that Sonos is trying to offer new features to bring in young new users. Fine. Except…

A stereo system that doesn’t play music immediately when you want it is useless. (Never, ever, should it force an update.)

Second, relearning the radical new layouts of the user interface is extremely confusing. My parents, also loyal Sonos users, are in their 70s and are now being forced to relearn how to play their music. They will never, ever, ever use any of the new features. So, why would you force that on them? The new layout is not intuitive. I was trying to add rooms, find my music library, etc. Took me about 15 minutes to figure it out.

This reminds me terribly of the horrible changes Microsoft made to their OS and Office Products, where for decades they offered few real features, but instead moved buttons around, turning every upgrade into a training exercise.

Sonos used to be a high-end audiophile product. Clearly, Sonos has talented engineers and a great vision. I hope the product management team changes this recent course, and gets back to driving the original theme of ease-of-use. Get back to being great Sonos.

Thank you,
Peter Hunter

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was going to get mom (93) a Play 1 for Christmas but not noe.

I see no way she could manage the new interface, I'm having enough problems with it myself. Alexia built in with no kill switch is a non-starter too. Add in the glare white only display and with her vision issues and it is even grimmer.

All she really wants is I Heart Radio with a decent (loud) speaker that is less frustrating than her tablet app and bluetooth external speaker. Sonos was the easy answer...
There is fine line that needs to be walked between the frequently hankered after cosmetic refreshes for the millennials and more while keeping the relearning for folks, that have seen more of the world, to a minimum. As part of the latter category, I agree that these upgrades are a nuisance, but till now I am able to cope.

But is there any other solution with the Sonos feature set that is more in tune with our needs? I doubt it, all are running after the markets that we are exiting.
Userlevel 3
Well put mate. Im bloody fuming about sonos ruining my system and imposing such under researched changes. Have they checked out thier reviews google play and this forum? This is catastrophic. Im genuinely considering getting rip of the lot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I suppose for Sonos if we jump ship it doesn't really matter to them as they've already had our hard earned money.. Thats the impression I get reading this forum.

I was forced into 8.0 after adding a new Play1, I now struggle to stifle the swearing navigating this downgrade while the my kids are in earshot.

Two weeks in and it's not in the slightest bit "intuitive", they should have that word all over their offices as a gentle reminder of what software should be like to use...
Help! Latest updates have rendered my useless! Speakers disappearing, music stops and starts, have to reboot my router daily. What's up Sonos?
Same thing here ran a diagnostic too.
8172523 please help
Userlevel 4
Get used to it folks, we've been complaining for well over a month and nothing has changed. I suggest we start hitting Amazon etc. and posting reviews there. Hit Sonos hard enough in the pocketbook and they will have to deal with the situation.

Link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=Sonos
I agree. I am quite flexible in understanding the need for "newness" in look and feel, and of course the need for underlying tech related updates, but the new Sonos user- interface is horrible. I have been trying to use it, and like it, for days now, and simply cannot. It is very user unfriendly and much less functional than the last one. Sonos, it would be great if you could return to the old interface, maybe freshen it up with new colors, fonts and graphics if you think a new look is necessary.
I could not agree more --- frustrating new UI navigation, and playback stops mysteriously, with no input from us. Not an improvement.