Disable Hard Button on Sonos Speakers

• 24 March 2014
  • 40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
A Sonos user would like to disable the hard buttons on his Sonos devices via the Sonos Controller. 

For exemple when he is having a party home he want to avoid his friend to modify the volume level or pause the music.

What do you think about it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Please......
Keep dreaming! (Sorry)
Would also be very handy when you, like me, have a 1-year-old who has discovered these buttons..
I second that, my kids keep turning on the music all the time. Would be really handy feature.
+1 Doesn't take a genus to work out the buttons! Both my kids (age 1 & 3) can now use all 3 buttons whenever they feel like 😞
My cat sometimes sits on top of my play:5, starting the music. I don't know how often this happens when I'm not at home or at night. But I totally agree there should be an option to disable the buttons on top. I have never used them anyway 🙂
That would be useful.
Especially once you've set the volume to a reasonable level.
I would however like to see the option to distinguish between 'mute'/'pauze' and volume controls, because the hardware pauze is can be useful.
Maybe limit the 'pauze'/'mute' to the single room instead of all of the linked rooms ?
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
i use every day hard buttons... Either to close the music, or as i am standing in the living room to volume up or down... It takes to many buttons to change the volume through my phone or tablet.. However disabling these might be useful for other users, so it may be useful having this option. When my kids turn 2, then i might find this useful, since my kids might start pressing them...
I need this feature.  Our 2 year old loves that he can blast us out of bed at 6am.  Wife is ready to toss the whole system out.  I have mounted the speaker higher up out of reach but the kid is climber.  It's only a matter of time.
I (and my close neighbours) would also appreciate this as a feature... Child with a disability who just loves to play with the volume buttons... I need to restore peace to the neighbourhood...
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My cat is turning on my system. My cat is turning on our system by stepping on the pause button, we need a way to delete the service form a room so it wont play when you hit the button on the speaker.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My cat is turning on my system. My cat is turning on our system by stepping on the pause button, we need a way to delete the service form a room so it wont play when you hit the button on the speaker.
This is just one of several issues that could be resolved by making the button configurable by the user.
Badge
My 1 yr old kid plays with the buttons on the top of the speakers all the time - so we have put the speaker back in their box. Please can we have a software setting to disable these buttons? Then I can get the speakers out again. 
And you know what, I might even buy the additional pairs that I had planned before discovering my child's desire to DJ!
+1 Great Idea
+1, my cat loves to step on the play button in the middle of the night...
Would be a very handy feature to be able to toggle this from the App
I have the same problem with my cat.  He not only turn it on but he also truns the volume up to max.  Please do something.
i cant recall for sure, as i am not near my system, but i believe if you go to group and uncheck the current room (or all rooms), it will clear the service and display "no music." if your cat were to press play/pause, nothing would start.

you would want to clear your queue also.

EDIT: i think i was wrong about this. i tried it and it didn't behave the same way i remember. the only way to clear the service may be to reboot the player.
Has this been resolved? I don't see any response from Sonos and my wife is ready to throw the whole system away because our 2-year loves dance parties. #worsethanlivingnexttoafraternity
Nope. Still not resolved. I had to cover the buttons by taped down plastic covers. It really is annoying and can't be that hard to fix, right?
would concur, if you have a young baby this would be amazing!!!
I just wrote to add the same suggestion but my reason is the bloody cat - it likes to sit on the Play5 and somehow press the buttons in the middle of the night and that plays whatever was queued in that room which is bad enough but worse if it was a radio station as it keeps playing forever so when you are away for a weekend could be annoying for the neighbours.

My workaround is to clear the queue but that is a pain to remember always and an internet radio station isn't in a queue so you have to arse around replacing it with a song so there is a queue then clear that queue, so the cat can sit wherever it wants without waking the house.

So all I would ask for is more control over what the buttons can be allowed to do - nothing, everything, some of it, best of all if it is assignable functionality.
mine does that too, and very innocently but I'm not sure sometimes
yeah, remembering to clear the queue(s) is a pain.  And somethings aren't in queues like a paused internet radio station - so you have to replace that with a song so there is a queue then clear that queue.  Try explaining that to the Mrs who is the one most inconvenienced when the cat is going about its innocent nocturnal activities.