Desktop App Issues

• 26 November 2021
  • 21 replies

Badge +1

I have always used the desktop app at home and my Music Library has always been linked to a single "Music" folder on an external hard drive. That music folder then has several artist sub-folders and each artist sub-folder then has their own album sub-folders which house the individual song files.

I have used the desktop app in this way for years with virtually no problems-until this morning. Now only a couple albums in each artist folder are showing up and some artist folders aren't showing up at all. 

I've tried various things. Unlinking the "Music" folder entirely then re-linking it. Re-starting the computer. Disconnecting the hard drive then reconnecting it. Checking the app for updates. Nothing works to link the single "Music" folder correctly like in the past. 

Now, if I link a single artist folder all the albums show up correctly (mostly, more on that later). This works for artists who only had a couple albums show up, or artists who were no longer showing up at all.  I could link my music library this way, but I literally have hundreds of artist folders and this would be an extremely tedious process as you can only link one folder at a time. This would be especially frustrating since I've always been able to link a single music folder for years. 

I mentioned the albums showing up mostly correctly earlier. I'm in the process of upgrading the quality of some of my CD rips and when I do so, I delete the original files (but not the album folder) before I put the new ones in. Well, the music files for the CD I'm currently working on still show up in my Music Library even though there are no music files in the folder. And I can still play them!  This is the same with the single Music folder linked or the individual artist folder linked. 

Anyone else experiencing or have experienced a similar issue with the desktop app?  Help. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Hi. First, except for the Folders view itself, the structure of the Sonos Music Library does not use your folder structure at all. It uses metadata contained in the music files.

So as you are replacing files it is there where you need to look. Preserving the folder achieves nothing. What software are you using to rip?  And to which format?

It is also possible that communication gremlins are preventing a full reindex.

hi @Seanos can you tell which operating system you are using on your desktop (Windows, macOS)? I assume your desktop controller is up-to-date (13.4 or above). Check the Music Library Advanced Settings how Albums are grouped. Finally, during a Library update I recommend not to change (i.e. add, delete or rename) any of the content in your Music folder on your external drive.

Badge +1

Windows operating system. Sonos Controller version 13.4. I don't modify any of the folders during a library update.

Badge +1

I'm also using iTunes to rip the CDs. Something I've done for years without issue. My process hasn't changed for years. I don't know why I'm having a problem now. 

The track limit is 65,000 max, and can be less if you have oversized tags or long path/filenames.  Tracks will be missing if you are over the limit.

How does the Folders view in the Sonos Music Library compare with what is on your external hard drive?

Badge +1

I haven't added any files in weeks. They were there last night. They're not there this morning. It's not a track limit issue. 

Badge +1

How does the Folders view in the Sonos Music Library compare with what is on your external hard drive?

It matches up. I've changed nothing from last night (and the years prior) to this morning. 

You may browse the folders through the Sonos desktop app menu Music Library Folders. You may check the folder structure and look for missing folders or files.

Badge +1

You may browse the folders through the Sonos desktop app menu Music Library Folders. You may check the folder structure and look for missing folders or files.

As I mentioned in my original post, I had linked just a single “Music” folder on my hard drive. That had been enough to pick up any artist and album sub-folders within it. So the only folder showing up in my Music Library folders is a single folder. So I can't really check what's missing that way. 

Exactly.  The Folders view uses the Folder structure that is on your hard drive. All the other views ignore that and use metadata.

But if nothing has changed for weeks then it may just be some latency in the system. Try it again tomorrow and it might be fine again

As I mentioned in my original post, I had linked just a single “Music” folder on my hard drive. That had been enough to pick up any artist and album sub-folders within it. So the only folder showing up in my Music Library folders is a single folder. So I can't really check what's missing that way. 

You need to expand it.

you need to double click on the folder and should find the sub-folders and files

Badge +1

When I double click the folder nothing happens. Right click, same thing. 

Are you sure it is pointing at the right location? If the folders are in the source, they should appear in the Sonos Music Library Folders view.

Badge +1

Are you sure it is pointing at the right location? If the folders are in the source, they should appear in the Sonos Music Library Folders view.

I must not be in the right place.  I’m clicking everywhere on the Music, I:\Music line and nothing happens...nothing expands.  I thought it might be a hard drive issue, but I tried a different hard drive...same issue.

Screen Grab

just to be sure you are not mistaken: you should select the folders under the Music Library Menu in the Sonos App as shown in the picture below

You are not in the right place. You need to select Music Library from the Browse menu. Then Folders. You are in the Music Library Settings. 

And another unusual question: L: isn’t a mapped drive on an NAS, is it?

Badge +1

Here’s an update. I asked the same question on Reddit. Someone there suggested it might be a hard drive issue. I tried another hard drive, no change. Same issue.

After nothing else worked, I uninstalled the desktop app and reinstalled it. That fixed the problem for whatever reason. I don't think I'll ever know why things went haywire, I'm just glad everything seems to be back to normal. 

hi @Seanos good to hear it is fixed - most likely some Windows registry settings have been re-initialised that fixed it