Question

Desktop app cannot find Sonos System

• 28 July 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

For some reason Desktop app (both the S1 and S2 version [MacOS]) cannot find my Sonos System. When I go through the ‘Connect to existing system’ flow I get a confirmation dialogue saying This Sonos app is now connected to your Sonos system, but when hitting the Done button, I’m right back at the ‘Sorry, we can’t connect to Sonos...

NB: On the mobile app everything works just fine.

Does anyone know the solution to this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Hakim Jamal, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding on this issue, I’ll ask some questions to further assist.

• When did it start happening that you cannot connect to the desktop controller?
  • Are there any changes made on the Desktop or on the Sonos App on the Desktop?
  • Can you make sure that you’re connected to the right network?

I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to further investigate what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi. Do you use your Mac on a wired network connection?

if so, try connecting to a wireless network too and see if it works. I have similar, and I have to have WiFi on, not even connected to a wifi network that the speakers are on, just seems the Mac needs a wifi connection. 

if I turn wifi off, it stops finding my speakers. 

Badge

Hi @Simon B 

I’ve submitted a diagnostic report (1396494744).

The issue only started after successfully using both the S1 and S2 controllers once, when they were released. Speakers are definitely on the the same wifi network (only have one), and no changes have been made to the Desktop app — I have tried uninstall and reinstalling to no avail.

Totally at a loss here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Hakim Jamal, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking. It only shows a controller diagnostic. I’d also like to ask your network layout for us to further check on this issue. 

• How are you connected to your network? 
  • Do you use a separate Modem, router or Wifi extenders?
  • What is the Make and Model of your modem, router or extenders?

I’m asking these questions for us to be able to check what could be causing the issue. 

Badge

Hi @Simon B, I’ve just submitted another diagnostic report (826838314) via my phone — I have no issue whatsoever when using the mobile app.

I’m connected via wi-fi using a Sky modem/router (no idea what the make is, but model number on the back is SR203)

I can see the IP of my speakers on the network as 192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.7 (Router address is 192.168.0.1) and my Mac is allocated 192.168.0.10

I do get a confirmation that the controller is connected to Sonos, when trying to connect to Existing Sonos System (as you can see below), but when hitting ‘Done’ the main window doesn’t refresh with content, rather I keep getting the ‘Sorry we can’t connect to Sonos’ message.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Hakim Jamal, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking, all is good on the Sonos products, but the system can only detect the iPhone 8 controller that you have. I also checked the Sky modem/ router, we do not have any known issues for it. in this case. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. So they can check further on why it is not letting you connect to your existing system on the Mac. 

Badge

Hi @Simon B, many thanks for taking the time to look into this. Will give support team a call tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Hakim Jamal, thanks for the update. lets us know how it goes after you call phone support tomorrow.

You're always welcome here.