Answered

Delete previous Windows installation files in \username\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations?

• 5 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Is it safe to delete previous install files after an update? I have 3 Sonos install files in this folder.
icon

Best answer by ratty 5 April 2019, 20:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Well spotted. If there are only 3 Sonos subfolders they're not exactly taking up much space. Do not delete the most recent, but it should be safe to remove the stale, older ones.
I'm not so interested in reclaiming disk space but trying to find the reason I have to jump through hoops to get an update to work. I doubt it has anything to do with these old update files but I want to be able to report whatever possible before starting a topic about the update issue. I'll isolate the older folders and wait for the next update and then go from there.
With respect for ratty I am the topic starter and I did not mark this issue as answered. My question was whether or not it is safe to delete these particular folders and ratty's response was that it "should" be safe which I interpret as an indefinite answer. I would like to know if it is safe or not rather than what seems like a guess. I understand that more and more developers depend on the "community" to handle technical support but sometimes a little more assurance is a good thing. Again, no disrespect to ratty intended. As I stated in my first response I'm gathering info in order to troubleshoot update issues. EVERY time I update the update fails and I have to unplug each of my 9 Sonos devices to get it to work. As far as I've seen the Sonos knowledge base only offers unplugging as a solution. There has to be something less drastic and I want to find it.
I'd recommend then that you contact Sonos support directly, rather than posting on a community board. The community forum is where you should expect to get answers from community members, such as ratty, or myself.
And to be honest, there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't delete everything on your windows machine, and then download and install a new copy of the application. All of your settings are stored on the speakers, rather than in the app on the computer, so as long as you "Connect to Existing System", rather than "Set up New System", you'd be fine.

But I'm just another community member.
Thank you, Airgetlam, for your suggestions. I really do appreciate both you and ratty though it looks like I've managed to offend you. In the past I have definitely benefited from community support.

I did contact Sonos directly and their first suggestion was the uplugging solution. That works but doesn't persist but at least I've got that. They also suggested I uninstall/reinstall the app and "connect to existing system" but that didn't work. I guess I'm hoping to find someone whose been through this and found a solution that persists. I was also hoping that these forums were moderated by Sonos support experts and that one of them might intervene.

I may go for it all and repartition and reinstall Windows et al.