Default Volume Setting Required

Userlevel 3
I would like to see a setting that allows a preset volume level to be selected so when a speaker is turned on it starts at that volume level. It's quite annoying that if a speaker has previously been listened to at a loud volume setting and then turned off - it remains at that level when it is next used. Sonos, please can you consider this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Hmm. So I will try the solution above, something annoying but I am capable of doing.
But for the less technical who simply have a Sonos system they wish to just ‘use’ then I’m guessing Sonos would recommend;

• Get a computer, enroll for a more advanced user course.
  • Download suitable music editing software and enroll on a course to understand how to use it.
  • Create a blank zero volume track and output as an mp3
  • Go on a course to understand home networking.
  • install a NAS and learn how to link your Sonos system.
  • add track to NAS music folder and sync
  • follow previous solutions to set up a silent alarm with volume.

Or.  Sonos design an option in setup…..  

Agree with this. Definitely needed! Either "reset to volume 2 at 07:00' setting or "reset to volume 2 after X hours of inactivity".

One possible workaround - use IFTTT - If This Then That app seems to be able to set Sonos volumes at set times - but that's just about to move to being chargeable 

Badge

I just added an amp.  Setup would be amp connecting my two front wired speakers along with a wired sub.  I also have 2 surround  Sonos speakers.  Now when I turn the tv on the volume is always of. I have to turn the volume up with the tv remote. Any ideas why the sounds is minimized?  My wife is asking why it doesn’t come on at the same level and why she always has to turn up the volume. Sort of the opposite of what others are asking.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

or, try a silent track of your choice from a music service you have configured?  apple, amazon, google play all have them available.

this is a workaround - beggars, choosers and all that. 

Thanks. I found a ‘silent’ playlist on Spotify here but when I try to play any track I get the error message ‘Unable to play the selected item’. I tried using a generic playlist on shuffle from Spotify using the Sonos app but just keep getting the same error. Do I need a paid Spotify subscription to listen via Sonos?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

or, try a silent track of your choice from a music service you have configured?  apple, amazon, google play all have them available.

this is a workaround - beggars, choosers and all that. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

you could set an alarm with a blank mp3 that plays every morning for a few minutes and sets volume to the default level you want.

How do I do that please? I just looked at ‘Alarms’ in the Sonos app and the only options I see are for Sonos Chime, Sonos Playlists, Imported Playlists, Sonos Radio and Tunein. How do I select a blank mp3?

You need to create your own blank .mp3 and add it to your local music library, and then add to a playlist (follow these alarm instructions for using a playlist with an alarm):

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/452?language=en_US

So to allow a preset volume level to be selected on my Sonos speakers so when a speaker is turned on I would need to:

1. Setup a NAS or some other computer or server permanently powered-on and able to provide music files?
  2. I would then link that server as a ‘Music Library’ in my Sonos system.
  3. Next I should create my own blank .mp3 somehow.
  4. I need to then create a playlist to which I would add this blank .mp3?
  5. Then I would need to setup a Sonos alarm to run everyday at a set times to play that blank .mp3 from my playlist on my server?
  6. Hopefully then whenever someone started a Sonos speaker of group of speakers they would all be set at the preset volume level.

Is that correct?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

you could set an alarm with a blank mp3 that plays every morning for a few minutes and sets volume to the default level you want.

How do I do that please? I just looked at ‘Alarms’ in the Sonos app and the only options I see are for Sonos Chime, Sonos Playlists, Imported Playlists, Sonos Radio and Tunein. How do I select a blank mp3?

You need to create your own blank .mp3 and add it to your local music library, and then add to a playlist (follow these alarm instructions for using a playlist with an alarm):

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/452?language=en_US

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Could this not be set up with an Alexa routine to set volume to a certain level at a preset time each day?

I’ve looked and can’t see how; perhaps you could advise?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

A desperately needed feature, to bring it into line with my 1970s TV. People saying what if this what if that. I have no other devices that take the roof off when I turn then on!!

An incredibly easy solution is just the volume when you turn on defaults to the volume when you turned off.

My TV, soundbar, surrounds and subwoofer wake the dead if you turn onvia Alexa. Actually no problem if you activate via the tv itself. 

I share this request. In the evening, you finally get the kids to sleep and the house is silent and turn the TV on again, when Beam soundbar blasts everyone awake again... It takes the few critical seconds before Beam reacts to the volume down signal from the remote. I'd assume it shouldn't be to hard to program an optional default volume to which the soundbar returns when TV is powered off. Thank you. 

Userlevel 1

Again, this programming is fairly basic. There should be an easy setting to adjust with your Sonos, to have your home theater system start at a preset volume. You shouldn’t have to run extra programs, use Alexa, or reprogram anything. 

Would the next audio track you play not just continue with the same volume as the previous level? 

You set the volume level in the alarm setup.  After playing the silent track, the alarm would stay at that level. 

Badge +1

Could this not be set up with an Alexa routine to set volume to a certain level at a preset time each day? You shouldn’t even need to buy any Amazon hardware to set it up in the Alexa app. 

Another idea would be to try and sniff out the commands Sonos are using to control volume across the network. On my old Philips Fidelio wireless speakers I found the html commands online where another user had monitored their network traffic. I ran the commands to set volume to 20% each morning using Siri Shortcuts on my iPhone. 

You could just set an alarm that plays a silent file.  

Would the next audio track you play not just continue with the same volume as the previous level? 

Could this not be set up with an Alexa routine to set volume to a certain level at a preset time each day? You shouldn’t even need to buy any Amazon hardware to set it up in the Alexa app. 

Another idea would be to try and sniff out the commands Sonos are using to control volume across the network. On my old Philips Fidelio wireless speakers I found the html commands online where another user had monitored their network traffic. I ran the commands to set volume to 20% each morning using Siri Shortcuts on my iPhone. 

You could just set an alarm that plays a silent file.  

Badge +1

Userlevel 1

This is a simple feature which is present in most  modern receivers and TVs. When the tv or input source is turned on the volume starts at a pre-determined volume. This is to stop you from turning on the tv and blowing your ears out, or waking others in the house because the volume was set high from the last use. It is a setting so the owner can decide to implement it or what to set it at. 

Userlevel 1

It shouldn’t be necessary to do all kind of stuff to make this work, it should be build in. If nothing is playing for two minutes, go to a preset volume and thats it. Shouldn’t be so hard

What happens when the music is playing quietly and you pause to take a phone call for a few minutes, it resumes and plays the music at a louder default setting?  

Or vice versa you’re listening to  loud music, pause - take a call and it resumes at a much quieter default setting.. it would need a different timeout to suit some people, so that would need adding here too and …

Some audio sources are often much louder or quieter than others.

Also...

What happens if you’re playing audio to a group of speakers, as some users may want their preset volume to be different perhaps in a grouped room situation and that would mean implementing ‘group profiles’ with preset volumes and adjustable timeout settings.

It’s not as easy perhaps, as you think it is. 

It is easy if they wanted to do it.

Just set an optional time, so if you want it to happen after two minutes, then use that, if you want to wait an hour, then use that. Or disable the feature if you don’t want it. youcan always find situations where it isn’t perfect, but it’s also not perfect as it is now.

It shouldn’t be necessary to do all kind of stuff to make this work, it should be build in. If nothing is playing for two minutes, go to a preset volume and thats it. Shouldn’t be so hard

What happens when the music is playing quietly and you pause to take a phone call for a few minutes, it resumes and plays the music at the louder default setting?  

Or vice versa you’re listening to  loud music, pause - take a call and it resumes at a much quieter default setting.. it would need a different (adjustable) timeout feature to suit different people/circumstances, so that would need adding here too and …

Some audio sources are often much louder or quieter than others, so that needs to be catered for.

Also...

What happens if you’re playing audio to a group of speakers, as some users may want their preset volume to be different perhaps in a grouped room situation and that would mean implementing ‘group profiles’ with preset volumes and adjustable timeout settings.

It’s not as easy perhaps, as you think it is. 

Userlevel 1

Just to add to Chris's comments above, a startup volume setting can be set with a Harmony remote and I use the Harmony Hub to sometimes set speaker volumes. The device will even group speakers using different activity settings. These things can also be achieved via Alexa combined the Harmony skill, but I do agree that a default startup volume (per Sonos Room) would be a 'nice to have' feature, with the controlling room taking precedence in a grouped-room situation.
Need this desperately, especially when using the beam with surround in my living room. I have to remember to reduce volume and regroup speakers every night.. takes all the convenience away. Wish more beta tests were done with experimental lab features for feedback like Philips hue... I think sonos needs to branch usability into two streams. With an option during set up for loners or people with more than one person in the home also
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
you could set an alarm with a blank mp3 that plays every morning for a few minutes and sets volume to the default level you want. There are also options with smartthing etc. other home automation that can set periodically to a default level.