Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi there,

Since upgrading to 3.1 my cr200 has become unresponsive in certain parts of the scree. For example if i try and adjust the treble in the music equalisation screen I cant move the slider. If I try and slide up and down using the A-Z slider at the RHS of my music index it stutters at E and jumps to M. I have contacted Sonos who suggested that I reset the controller but to know avail. Any ideas?

Frazer

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

THIS IS A SOFTWARE ISSUE AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A BAD TOUCHSCREEN
So... this is a 6 year old thread, and for many of those years Sonos were replacing the hardware for those users who encountered the problem.

Yet despite all that history you now insist that it's a simple software fix? Well, I guess you must know better that all the Sonos engineers....
I'll post back.
Yes, please do!
My replacement is at least three (or maybe four?) years old now.
And is used so much every day, the silicon padding on the back is peeling off..
It is just funny that the behaviour of broken touchscreens "normally" is quite different.
They have "dead spots" and the dead spots remain dead regardless of what page is displayed.
They do not change behaviour and in one instance tapping (again consistently) cannot be used but a swipe does the job while the same underlying software button (arrow) on another page (again consistently) does accept a tap.
IMHO - Not the behaviour of a broken touchscreen.

I had multiple "dead spot" failures. The spot was consistently dead in all panels. Sometimes, at some places, I could get it to fire, but it took great patience. Over time, the amount of patience and tapping and smearing was increasing.
I was told that the failure related to inability to handle changes in humidly.
We have a couple of months of high humidity each year. My CR200 died, with a dead spot, each year, and each was replaced by Sonos. It happened 3 times I think.

At the time of the last replacement they told me that they were confident that they had completely fixed the problem, and that the new units had been tested in a barometric chamber. ... That last unit has been working without issue for several years now.

A month or two after that, they withdrew the unit from sale due to its function and price point being swamped (pun unintended :)) by smart phones & tablets.

I was quite impressed by Sonos' integrity, in addressing this issue for affected customers, even though they were in the process of phasing the unit out due to unrelated reasons.
Userlevel 2
[FONT="Arial"][/font]Yes I agree, they are at least doing the right thing in this regard and that is to be recognised and applauded. However, I am very concerned that th[SIZE="7"][/size]ere are still replacement units being sent out that are no better. I only had mine replaced less than 6 months ago. We are now half way through 2011 - how long has the CR200 been out for?, and yet it would seem there are still faulty units being shipped.

If I thought I could get my money back for it I would go that way and use the money to buy a wireless modem and an iPod touch (good grief though, I never thought I'd have to buy an Apple product just to use my Sonos!).

I ditched my B & O equipment for a Sonos (26/8/2010)- big mistake. After just under one year the two CR200 controllers stopped responding in part of the lower screen section. Replacements are working OK. Why is Sonos selling equipment which, judging by the correspondence, is not fit for purpose? Has anyone spoken to the Trading Standards Authority?
Re Barry M - both units had a YY of 06.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My Sonos Controller (the one formerly known as the Controller 200) has stopped functioning as it should. It's impossible to scroll down on the touch screen, and some of the menu commands don't respond when touched.

For example, on the "System Settings" page, The only commands that respond when pressed are "Music Library Management", "ZonePlayer Settings", and "Bridge Settings" - none of the others work, and when I try and press "Dock Settings" it selects either the item above or the one below. And I can't scroll down to access the other menu items.

I've tried resetting the Controller by removing the battery, but this has no effect. Thus the only way to hear music around the house is via the desktop controller or my iPhone. While this isn't the end of the world in itself, it's driving my wife nuts (she doesn't have an iPhone, and getting her one isn't an economic workaround), so she's threatening to divorce me unless I get it fixed.

Is this problem terminal (for my Controller, of course), or can anyone suggest a fix?

Many thanks.
Non-responsive screens ae a known problem with some batches of CR200 controllers. Contact support, they have a generous return/repair policy on models where the screen becomes unresponsive.
Userlevel 2
Thats my second CR200 screen just failed, and like you pacman42 I have been told I will have to pay £94.80 for a replacement.
My first one was within it's warranty and I remember being told I would have an extended warranty on the replacement. i will have to track a few emails down to see exactly how long this one has lasted.

I like the CR200 and I don't really want to use my iPhone as my sole controller but as many others have said before me it's an expensive bit of kit which I don't want to have to buy a replacement for every year (if I'm lucky) or so.

This controller is poor and needs to be updated. The Sonos is an absolutely awesome piece of kit but is let down badly by the CR200, does anyone know if there are any plans to replace the controller or at least fix the problem for good?
I own a CR200 and a CR100 and could do with another controller but am holding fire getting another CR200 due to the worry about quality problems with them.
I have just experienced the failure of a CR200 sent to me as a replacement to a CR200 sent as a replacement for my original unit. I am now getting close to the two year period.
So far service has been good, but I've just put in my problem report so we'll see how it goes this time.
However I won't be rushing to buy another CR200 any time soon even though I could possibly use one.

Ken
Userlevel 2
Just checked back and my replacement controller was ordered in April 2010, I'm sure Sonos gave me some kind of extended warranty so I'll have to try contacting them again, I don't intend to buy a new controller every 18 months
Well reflecting the usual fast good service I already have my RMA for my failing CR200.
It would be good if the replacement is more reliable this time!

Ken
Userlevel 2
After contacting Sonos again they have told me a replacement CR200 is on it's way for free 😃

Once again my faith in Sonos has been restored and I can't thank them enough for their outstanding customer service.

Only concern I have is that they told me my controller was not in the 'batch' with known problems with the possible dead spots. I'm no rocket scientist but that would suggest to me the problem has not been resolved, I'd love to know if there is still a problem with the Sonos Controller as it is now called.

Anyway I really appreciate the gesture as they didn't have to do that and i'm sure there would be very few companies in the world who would do the same.

Thanks Sonos 😉
After the standard RMA email, I received another email later on saying they were manually processing the RMA and sending a new CR200.
I received the mail earlier this evening saying the replacement had been dispatched. So once again the customer service comes up trumps. Lets just hope this one is OK.
Ken
Userlevel 2
My new controller arrived today, amazingly fast. The dealings I have had with Sonos are the best customer service I think I've ever recieved from any company.

I just hope this controller lasts. But thanks again Sonos
My new controller arrived today, amazingly fast. The dealings I have had with Sonos are the best customer service I think I've ever recieved from any company.

I just hope this controller lasts. But thanks again Sonos

Agreed, that is very good customer service and they can't be faulted for that. I just wish they were a little more open about the problems that people are still having with the CR200. Are there still problems with it or was it just limited to one batch? Why does it fail for some people and not others? My CR200 was from the batch originally said to have problems but so far (touch wood) I haven't had a problem.
Same here.

Replacement CR200 arrived yesterday, very good support and fast, too.

But the main damage is done:
My confidence is shaken badly.
After all those reports I downright expect the replacement unit to be faulty.
(First controller was only 6 months old and always handled with care)

And will Sonos be able to honor the extended warranty promise?
Userlevel 2
After about 1 year of very moderate usage, my cr200 shows the same problem like all the others, the complete bottom row doesn't react to touches !
I just started the RMA procedure, but I was wondering if sonos can't tell us what exactly goes wrong. I'm afraid that these problems will keep ocurring even after the extended warranty period. Maybe it's something you can repair yourself easily, being an electronic diy'er ?

Luckilly i still have an ipad, iphone, ipod touch and an android htc lying around to operate the sonos. 😉
..like all the others.

Sigh..
that's why I'm afraid there won't be enough replacement units left when Sonos decides to stop the production.
Userlevel 2
If sonos keeps up their good service like they did till now, they will give you a new unit by then (a cr300 ???) ;-)

I personally prefer my ipad & iphone for controlling, but my kids most of the times take the cr200, and because of the large amount of money i paid for it, i hope it won't break down again after my rma will be in place.

Fingers crossed, but still, i hope sonos can give repair details for those who are willing to do the repair themselves if this ever happens again within lets say 5 years, and warranty is out of reach ...
Userlevel 2
Exactly the same problem here after about nine months of very moderate use except I'm not impressed with the (non) response from Sonos. Problem reported to them on 5th October, have yet to receive any response at all. I guess it will have to be a phone call and a hope that they sort a replacement rather more quickly.
Userlevel 2
My second unit just failed (1st was replaced less than 6 months ago).

Given that there is clearly a manufacturing failure with this device, it seems unfathomable, that they are a) still selling it and b) have not yet developed a replacement which does not suffer these issues.

Jules
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
My CR200 that was replaced in january just started to misfunction again! (lowest part of the screen unresponsive).
Sent mail to support let's see if the warranty still applies.
It is very disappointing that replacement units have the same issues as originale ones.
I think that if Sonos did not develop the Apple and Android controllers they would be in a very bad situation with a totally unreliable controller!

Let's see the support feedback.

Anyway, for Christmas I will get a Samsung Galaxy S wifi as secondary controller...

🙂
It is strange that the same people are getting the problem over again. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong honest 🙂 but it might be worth Sonos looking into why certain people are getting this problem multiple times?
...why certain people are getting this problem multiple times?

Hmm, might be too easy: because everybody will get it eventually, sooner or later?
Maybe some people just didn't notice yet, because they don't use certain functions of the controller?
Hmm, might be too easy: because everybody will get it eventually, sooner or later?

Yes you might be right. It might be that some people are using it a lot more than others and so they break quicker for them.