Question

Dark theme option for SONOS controller

• 1 September 2017
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 3
I sometimes use the SONOS controller (on a tablet) in environments where the room lights have been dimmed at night and so find the current white background on the contoller very bright and intrusive.

Am I missing a setting that can change this, or is there a work around available?

If not, are there any plans for SONOS to introduce Skins, or at the very least a dark theme option?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I want the dark theme back.. update also broke my music service... not a fan.
Userlevel 2
The white theme is horrible!!! It's way too bright. My phone is like a torch burning my eyes with it. Please bring back the dark theme!
Give us a dark theme or night mode!
All display settings tried, there's just no way to make using the controller easy on the eyes in the evening or at night now.
Badge
Yes! - Came here after searching for a solution. The white theme is awful! - Bring back the old color scheme!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Long day at work— I come home, dim the lights, and a few chill tracks come to mind. I fire up the Sonos app to build a queue to relax to and bam — I’m greeted with a white-hot retna burner.... nice.

The white does look clean, fresh, and sterile - very modern and Apple store–ish, but not very record store-ish. The new navigation improvements will become second nature eventually, but the white will always hurt my eyes. I know it looks just like the Apple Music interface, but I use Apple Music during the day when I’m out and about, in the sun or under bright office lights, Sonos is part of my home, where I relax in the evenings. The music should be the focus of the experience; not a bright white screen. I want to look down at the cover art; but can’t comfortably do that anymore - it’s like trying to look at an LP cover with, well, a bright white iPhone screen in the way. The white theme and music just don’t seem to go. It’s like going to an intimate live performance in the evening that’s lit with bright fluorescent lighting — it just doesn’t fit. I dont know what else to say, we music fans just want to be in the dark and jam out - without mom flipping the lights on!

Please give us a dark theme option.... please.
I agree back to black..... It can not wait
Sonos dev team what went wrong in your mind. How could the white screen pass the beta-test? I cannot imagine that anyone is in favor of the white background? If it is, I like to understand why. Please change back to black asap or make make it a customize option.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I looked for the Dark / Night setting as the Very First thing once I opened the new version of the android app...I, too, hate the white. PLEASE bring back the dark background...!
Userlevel 4
Badge
I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... 🙂
. The new navigation improvements will become second nature eventually, but the white will always hurt my eyes.

Eventually yep but why such a dumb change? Whole family hates it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... :)
Userlevel 1
Badge
Achristocat - Thanks for info. I've now rolled back my 3 controllers to 7.4 too. No problems. ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Apologies for spamming; I just posted this on another thread, but this one is more specific.

I hate the new app and so do my teenage daughters (mix of Android / iOS). It is harder to find things and the worst aspect for me; it is too bright. And don't say "turn down the brightness on the phone" - it's a contrast thing. PLEASE go back to a black background, or better; make it configurable to user taste.
Anyone with an OLED phone screen also knows that black backgrounds are really battery friendly, because that type of screen has no backlighting, just individually illuminated pixels (like my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge). Black takes no power. White takes lots of power. If you want to appeal to all the cool kids when they get their their shiny new iPhone X, with its OLED screen made by Samsung, you NEED a black background, or at least a setting to choose dark or light. People that can afford an iPhone X will be in your target demographic. And a font size setting would be great too. Plenty of other apps have a choice of colour theme and font size settings.
The Rooms view is awful and where I could see all my Rooms without scrolling before, now I can't and the delineation between rooms is harder to appreciate at a glance. Do you have UX/CX designers that knows how to run customer workshops, and have an appreciation of accessibility?
Yes, plese bring back the dark background for Android controllers. Only the white one is horrible. Thanks much!
Remember when everyone whined that the dark theme was horrible? 😃
I use Sonos to listen to music before I go to sleep. The white theme ruins the experience!

Please, at the very least, give us a dark theme option in the settings menu.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Any progress with dimming the flashlight app?
See this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/fix-for-bright-white-of-ios-app-6797987