Question

Customize My Sonos

• 26 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Can My Sonos be customized? I'd like to create a new category for Christmas Albums.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
You can add new items to My SONOS by finding them then long-pressing on said item and then pressing "Add to My SONOS"

If a service has a specific section for Christmas albums (Albums > Genres > Christmas maybe?) then you could add that section to My SONOS, if not you can add individual albums to the My SONOS album section.

Hope that helps
Josh
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For your local files if you tag them as Christmas then you can grab them by browsing genres, We have several sub-categories of Christmas music here that makes it easy to pick a specific type Christmas of music.
Stanley_4, I don't understand the "tag them (local files)", "We have several sub-categories...". Do you mean tag them with the Finder (Mac)? I see no place to manage that inside Sonos. I tried tagging a file with Finder then updating the library. The category didn't show up in Genres. Where do the genres come from anyway?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
See this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

Essentially music files have data embedded in them that lists useful information like Artist, track number and so on.

One of those tags is "Genre" - So for example "Rock", "Punk", "Classical". This tag is a text field of length 30 characters which the user can fill with any value they like.

You could use iTunes to edit tags or use other software. I have a Mac and use a software called "Metadatics" which is very good. If you use this program to set the Genre to "Christmas" for those you want you can then select those in Sonos once you index.
Thanks, StuartW. I eventually remembered about that feature last night. Thanks for confirming it.