Answered

Customizable Alarm Fade-In

• 29 May 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3

Up to this point, it is not possible to customize the fade-in of the alarm. As requested in many other threads, the from / to volume and the time-duration for increasing the volume should be configurable in the alarm section.

There was a thread talking about this request before:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-alarm-fade-in-6810730

Jeff S stated the following comment: “Thanks for reaching out, and for the suggestion. I'll send in a feature request to add a fade in timer to the alarm feature in the app.”

Is there any progress on this or any way a customer can see open feature requests or the status of such feature requests?

icon

Best answer by Jeff S 29 May 2020, 18:29

@adini Hi there, Airgetlam is right in that it is our policy not to comment on possible future products and features. This is likely for a few reasons, but for the most part we don’t want to promise something that we’re unable to deliver, for whatever reason. That said, we do track feature requests and many of the app’s current features came from this type of feedback. I’ll happily send along a new feature request for you. Keep an eye out on our announcements section to find out about new features as they’re added to the app.

View original

7 replies

No, unfortunately, Sonos does not share what they are working on for the next release. Or even if it will ever be worked on. They will tell you that they’ve forwarded the request to the team, as Jeff did. 

This is probably an intelligent policy. As a software developer, I can’t tell you how many times my team has held back a feature because it didn’t pass QA, despite the effort we had put in on it. Better not to set expectations that might not be met. 

Userlevel 3

Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply.

I strongly disagree with “This is probably an intelligent policy”. As a former software developer myself, I believe transparency is key to good customer support; especially regarding features and bugs.

That being said, I don’t excpect to see a release date/version, when the feature is going to be implemented, but a plattform to see if a feature is actually considered worth implementing and the possibility to vote on features would help a lot regarding what customers actually want. A thread in a community forum without updates on features is simply not enough imho.

E.g. Atlassian (I am sure you are familiar with as a software developer) does it this way. They don’t implement just everything or give you dates on requests, but at least you know what the status of your request is.

@Sonos, as there seems to be no possibility to track issues as customer/community member, could you please give me an update on the feature Jess S openend a year ago. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@adini Hi there, Airgetlam is right in that it is our policy not to comment on possible future products and features. This is likely for a few reasons, but for the most part we don’t want to promise something that we’re unable to deliver, for whatever reason. That said, we do track feature requests and many of the app’s current features came from this type of feedback. I’ll happily send along a new feature request for you. Keep an eye out on our announcements section to find out about new features as they’re added to the app.

Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply.

I strongly disagree with “This is probably an intelligent policy”. As a former software developer myself, I believe transparency is key to good customer support; especially regarding features and bugs.

That being said, I don’t excpect to see a release date/version, when the feature is going to be implemented, but a plattform to see if a feature is actually considered worth implementing and the possibility to vote on features would help a lot regarding what customers actually want. A thread in a community forum without updates on features is simply not enough imho.

E.g. Atlassian (I am sure you are familiar with as a software developer) does it this way. They don’t implement just everything or give you dates on requests, but at least you know what the status of your request is.

@Sonos, as there seems to be no possibility to track issues as customer/community member, could you please give me an update on the feature Jess S openend a year ago. Thanks

At one time, Sonos had a separate forum for posters to vote on ideas, and Sonos marked those ideas as under consideration, definitely planned, or not planned at all.  In no way did it ever lead to customer satisfaction.  What it did lead to is complaints, abuse of staff, online smear campaigns, vote and run posts to game the system, wars in the forums, and “smarter than thou” types trying to argue why their ideas about Sonos’ business plan, software, hardware, etc. are superior to the people’s who actually work at Sonos.  I can count on one hand the number of times a poster actually said “Thanks for the update”, and those were only due to the fact they backed themselves into a corner by saying “If I got an update, I would be thankful.”  

In short, that version of “good customer support” is just another term for “Give me another excuse to complain”.  

Userlevel 3

Hi @Jeff S , thanks for the clarification from the sonos point of view.

I respect the way you handle feature requests, especially if it was as bad as @jgatie stated. It is still not my preference as there is very little value for a customer who actually cares and tries to help. Such fire and forget change request not being tracked leads just to several forum threads all asking for the same thing. This is just my personal opinion from my personal experience. Thanks again for replying and I hope the change request will be considered worth implementing at some point in the future.

@Airgetlam , @jgatie you have very valid points in your statements and I respect your personal experience on that matter. From my point of view, there are ways in the middle between complete transparrency and just having a forum. E.g. closed user groups with zero tolerance regarding the negative impacts that were stated above. I just think the customer, who uses the product every day and is willing to contribute with new ideas and constructive critizism can have a positive impact on the value of a product and should not be kept in the dark if he/she does so. Again, this comes from my personal experience as I have seen it working very well this way.

@Airgetlam , @jgatie you have very valid points in your statements and I respect your personal experience on that matter. From my point of view, there are ways in the middle between complete transparrency and just having a forum. E.g. closed user groups with zero tolerance regarding the negative impacts that were stated above. I just think the customer, who uses the product every day and is willing to contribute with new ideas and constructive critizism can have a positive impact on the value of a product and should not be kept in the dark if he/she does so. Again, this comes from my personal experience as I have seen it working very well this way.

There was zero tolerance for personal attacks, profanity, etc. and threads were often shut down.  You know what happened?  The mob screamed censorship and doubled down on the smear campaigns.  As to constructive criticism, I can count on one hand the constructive criticism that arose from those threads.  There are a couple posters who actually took facts and rationality to hand and their posts were clear, concise, and productive.  They were drowned out by the mob, and attacked just because they tried to be rational.   

So I really don’t think you realize how absurd this forum can be.  Us old timers make predictions on how long until an announcement thread for anything even remotely negative hits the Godwin’s Law point.  The last contentious thread hit it on the very first page.  Sonos just doesn’t have the personnel to police stuff like that today, never mind setting up another group for the very purpose of letting people complain.  

PS - My account isn’t just my "personal experience”.  The vast majority of posters here thought the Ask.Sonos forum was a cesspool.  I would dare say the opinion was a consensus, not just one or two persons’ “personal experience”.  The fact Sonos plowed it under and salted the field, never to try it again, also speaks to the failure of that experiment. 

Userlevel 3

Hi @jgatie 

Despite having different opinions and experiences, funny enough, we both agree that the forum is the wrong place (as stated in my first reply).

I apologize to @Airgetlam , @jgatie  if I have offended you in any way or opened up some old wounds...

I let it go at this point and wont reply as my intention was never to fight over something like that. Feel free to tell me again that I am wrong and that positive experiences I have on a daily basis are just positive for me and could not be in the context of SONOS.

@Jeff S I marked your answer as the best one. Again, thanks for the reply and thanks for making great products!