Answered

CR200 controller trouble

• 10 December 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After working with Sonos support I was told my CR200 controllers will no longer function with the latest software update.

One of the best products I used on a daily basis. I’m pissed to say the least.

I look at it as sheer laziness on Sonos’ part not to update a marvelous product.

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 December 2019, 20:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi k9kids, that’s odd, I’ll look into that on our end regarding what you were told, that wasn’t accurate. As long as you have a Sonos device wired into the network creating the SonosNet mesh, the CR200 should continue to function with the same limited controls it’s had since the 4.3 software update years ago. The controllers haven’t been disabled or disconnected.

If you don’t have a Sonos device wired into the network, that CR200 is unable to connect with the system since it’s unable to connect with the house wireless networks.

Given the fact, perhaps a change in the title of the thread is in order?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I assume the OP is aware of the tragic history of the CR100? Plenty of crying owners when that was retired. The CR200 won’t last forever, you had better hope the touchscreen will fail before Sonos pull support.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Well… I stand corrected and humbly apologize for my choice of words.

If not for the fact of being told by CS after a lengthy troubleshooting session, actually logging into my iMac, that my CR200’s were a dead product, I wouldn’t feel so bad.

But, after plugging in my Sonos Boost I am at last enjoying my CR200’s again.🤗

I will now slink out of here and go listen to some music.

So, can you use the controller if you plug it into an amp if everything else is wireless?
i was looking for something my mother could use to easily use to control the music sel

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m afraid you misunderstood: you don’t plug the controller in to something. If you own a Sonos CR200 controller, you need to create a Sonos network for it to work. k9kids created a Sonos network by connecting a Sonos Boost via cable to his router. If you connect any Sonos speaker by cable to your router a Sonos network is created and a CR200 will work.

Since the CR200 is a very old device, probably only available second hand, I would buy a cheap tablet to control my Sonos. The tablet has to have a recent OS version (as up to date as possible) for it to work fir the next couple of years.