CR100 no longer works after update

Badge
Hi, I just updated my Sonos software and now my 2 CR100's no longer works! There was no warning of this. Can I roll back the update? This is completely unacceptable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
correct - you should have received emails....warnings before install...etc.

There is a $100 rebate per CR100 because Sonos had to obsolete them - there is also a hugely long thread on it called SAVE THE CR100.

Sorry you missed the messages. You should have even received them in app over the past few weeks.
This is unacceptable.

we are investing in a solution over the years and before completing it, it is already becoming obsolete. Not because physically it is not feasible but because SONOS does not want to have the "job" of keeping it active. The CR100 could work even if its limitations.

Thousands of companies in the world have computer solutions with very different ages and can maintain the interconnection between both.

SONOS 'bad will.

They lost my trust!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thread for this is here https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Please name another piece of consumer hardware that is over ten years old and still actively supported by its manufacturer.
Please name another piece of consumer hardware that is over ten years old and still actively supported by its manufacturer.
What are you talking about?!
All my Kenwood and Sony Hifi gear still works after 20+ years, including the remotes.
No need to 'support' them - only don't destroy them!
I'd like to see what happened if Sonos was chinese or russian:
'Electronic devices hacked by chinese hacker company!'
At the time the CR100 was built, there was no alternative controller, so the customers had no choice but to buy this device.
And nobody would have dreamed of Sonos bricking them at any point in the future!
Making this (or any other paid for) device unusable is a massive break of trust, (not only) in my opinion.
"Nobody would have dreamed"?

Over the years, there have been several discussions about the expected bricking of early Sonos devices on this very site, and the founder said a while back that he considered an active lifespan of 10 years for Sonos units. Sounds to me like many people dreamed about it.
[...] Making this (or any other paid for) device unusable is a massive break of trust, (not only) in my opinion.
You left Sonos behind, so what? 🙂
True, but I still did not sell my gear.
Every once in a while I switch it on again, try 'new' app versions and come here to see what's going on.
And let me tell you I'm not impressed.:8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yea .... so your point then is ....I don't use my sonos ... but if I did I wouldn't like it. But I will still come complain about things that don't effect me any longer.
What are you talking about?!
All my Kenwood and Sony Hifi gear still works after 20+ years, including the remotes.

40-50 years here, but of course that’s far beyond the manufacturers design lifetime expectations, which might be 10 years. Some of the materials used, especially electrolytic caps, simply aren’t available with longer lifetime expectations. So, end users, hobbyists like myself, are on our own after the manufacturer discontinues support. Nothing new or different in this situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nice chicks - where is the wireless remote?
Oh no, on the contrary.
When/if I ever find the app or any other device (you never know..) as convenient (for my use case) as my now dead CR200, I'd love to switch back to Sonos.
(Reason being I could hook up a record player to the Connect much easier than to my Logitech gear)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oh my I hated Squeezebox.
They never, ever really leave chris. You know that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know I know. I guess Ebay was closed.
Oh no, on the contrary.
When/if I ever find the app or any other device (you never know..) as convenient (for my use case) as my now dead CR200, I'd love to switch back to Sonos.
(Reason being I could hook up a record player to the Connect much easier than to my Logitech gear)
Sorry to hear that your CR200 died. If only the CR100s had done the same, nobody would be complaining.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think he had two CR200's that died over time -- this goes back a while. Just like the CR100 their probably aren't a ton out there in the wild still.
Two CR200, right, and I don't complain.
They just died after several years. Too early, if you ask me, but obviously that's how things are these days.
If Sonos had declared them worthless just like that, that'd be a different matter.

This is not about supporting the hardware but remotely disabling due to Sonos not valuing their customers enough to invest in forking the firmware. Once done, they can safely say there's no support so your point is not relevant.
Sonos could easily have taken this approach but they didn't as they don't care:

1. Fork firmware to set a "legacy point" e.g. at 8.4.
2. Introduce a capability in controllers to say block firmware updates (not just do not check for updates).
3. Make the app compatible with both legacy and new (trivial from a coding perspective, no need for different apps).
4. Allow new players that are still hardware compatible with legacy to be downgraded to that version.
5. Make sure users know they are on an unsupported path and if they have any problems, they will be required to upgrade to a supported version.

But no, they didn't do that as they don't care about their customers.

QUAD.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Please name another piece of consumer hardware that is over ten years old and still actively supported by its manufacturer.Active supporting maybe not, but you name another manufacturer of consumer hardware that actively disables working hardware for no good reason (yet)!
Userlevel 1
I don’t believe it is $100 per CR100. The EMAIL coupon says “one per household”. I have 13 CR100’s in three installations. This hurts.
I don’t believe it is $100 per CR100. The EMAIL coupon says “one per household”. I have 13 CR100’s in three installations. This hurts.

The CEO recently stated you can get $100 per CR100.