CR100 must come back!

• 24 August 2018
  • 8 replies

I cannot express how deeply dissapointed I'm in Sonos that without warning or choice my CR100 is not working anymore!

I loved that i had a dedicated device to browse through my library, please give that back!
The app on the phone is not even approaching the good old CR-100!

Some examples:
- The app needs to log on again after a while.
- The physical hard wired controls are great and work much better than fidling around in the app.
- Browsing with the jog wheel through your library is so much better than on a screen
- I don't want to pass my tablet/ phone to friends when you have a get to getter.
- I spent a lot of money on components, a dedicated controller should be an option.

And really... it should be the easiest thing for sonos to develope you did it before! all techniques are there already!

What to do now.. wanted to extent my system but serious doubting to sell it and migrate to B&O Beo sound..

Maybe with next update my play 3 will stop working..... no the beam is arrived..... 😞

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Warning? They sent out e-mails, a blog post, a sticky post in announcements, a press release, hosted a couple thousand post thread discussing it, and directly warned before the update.

Choice? Every update gives a choice. Turn off update alerts and auto-updates from the mobile app store and you never even get prompted for it.

And right on time . . . there's the "bunny gets it" threat. Sorry, Sonos cares not about the bunnies. A couple hundred already bit the dust in the aforementioned "Save the CR100" thread. Heartless bunny haters, those Sonos folks. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you kept your contact information up to date you should have gotten multiple e-mail warnings that also offered a rebate on your CR-100s. You also should have seen a warning when you started the update process that removed the CR-100 from your system.

As to choice, there are several topics here on how to keep from accepting the update and continuing to use your CR-100. There are none on going back to the old version though, once updated you are updated forever.

I'd be surprised if the next thing to be dropped was the fairly new Play 3, even though it is showing as discontinued in the Sonos store. I'd think the much older Zone Players would be next in line as they have the old networking cards, minimal memory and CPU.

I don't use Sonos on a phone but find it works quite well when run on an inexpensive Android tablet, even a scrap one from your junk drawer like my circa 2012 Nexus 7.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
30001. What a classless needless post. Customer is rightfully upset and you effectively throw gas on the fire.

Warning? They sent out e-mails, a blog post, a sticky post in announcements, a press release, hosted a couple thousand post thread discussing it, and directly warned before the update.

Choice? Every update gives a choice. Turn off update alerts and auto-updates from the mobile app store and you never even get prompted for it.

And right on time . . . there's the "bunny gets it" threat. Sorry, Sonos cares not about the bunnies. A couple hundred already bit the dust in the aforementioned "Save the CR100" thread. Heartless bunny haters, those Sonos folks. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone.

There is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion about the CR100 regardless of the position. However, it becomes a problem when these topics end up being "food fights" between users thus derailing the topic from its original intent. When topics go sideways like that, it tarnishes the merit of the topic and makes the topic noisey with the actual content being lost. I'm not pointing fingers or accusing anyone of anything, I've simply seen too many helpful and detailed posts crumble beneath users flinging insults and sarcastic quips at one another.

If you have a problem or feel harassed by a Community member, bring it up to the Sonos Staff or Community Managers and we will address it. Otherwise... let's try and keep things on topic.

Thanks!
Dear All,

I'm just expressing what I want to get out of my system and what is for important me! im not following all the news because i simply don't care! i'm not intersted in rebates or what so ever! for me it is an important part to enjoy my system..
Userlevel 2
My contact information was up to date and my CR100 (and all of my other Sonos equipment) was registered to my account and I never received any of the warning emails. I don't regularly visit the Sonos community unless I have a problem that I need to troubleshoot and I never read the update notes when I do the software updates. Fortunately, I almost never use my CR100 so I won't miss it that much but to find out my CR100 has been made obsolete kind of sucked and to find out that the "rebate" program expired months ago sucked even more. I hope Sonos doesn't decide to retire more of their hardware because I've got mostly older ZP80 and ZP100 equipment and I can't afford to buy all of the new stuff now.
My contact information was up to date and my CR100 (and all of my other Sonos equipment) was registered to my account and I never received any of the warning emails. I don't regularly visit the Sonos community unless I have a problem that I need to troubleshoot and I never read the update notes when I do the software updates. Fortunately, I almost never use my CR100 so I won't miss it that much but to find out my CR100 has been made obsolete kind of sucked and to find out that the "rebate" program expired months ago sucked even more. I hope Sonos doesn't decide to retire more of their hardware because I've got mostly older ZP80 and ZP100 equipment and I can't afford to buy all of the new stuff now.

I think it's pretty good bet to say they have an obsolescence roadmap planned out to kill older products off, they now have plenty of (unjustifiable) form:

- CR100
- Dock
- Functional desktop controller

Actively killing functioning hardware is an unforgivable, lazy, environmentally indefensible approach.

I'm out and my gear is on ebay whilst the value is still there.
My contact information was up to date and my CR100 (and all of my other Sonos equipment) was registered to my account and I never received any of the warning emails. I don't regularly visit the Sonos community unless I have a problem that I need to troubleshoot and I never read the update notes when I do the software updates. Fortunately, I almost never use my CR100 so I won't miss it that much but to find out my CR100 has been made obsolete kind of sucked and to find out that the "rebate" program expired months ago sucked even more. I hope Sonos doesn't decide to retire more of their hardware because I've got mostly older ZP80 and ZP100 equipment and I can't afford to buy all of the new stuff now.I don't think you need fear, although only time will tell. The common themes for lost functionality so far are:
1. They certainly inconvenience a small number of users, and those users are understandably upset
2. None of the devices / controllers is an actual player - you might call them 'accessories' (though highly-valued by some users)
3. None of these items has an exact replacement, but virtually all of their functionality exists in other ways, generally with no or low cost to the user
4. Therefore no longer supporting an actual player would be a much bigger step than anything done so far.

As you say, the ZP80 and ZP100 are the most likely candidates if this were to happen. But there are Sonos products still in production that are natural and better replacements. So we don't have any idea what would happen. My guess would be generous trade-in terms. That is what I would hope for. But I cannot see any point in fretting until it happens, and I would not regard what has happened on accessories as any guide to what might happen with a player.