Cover art not displayed in big window, local music library

• 18 May 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I am curious if this happens to other users. From time to time it happens to me when I listen to tracks on my local harddrive attached to the wifi router. This is when I use the iOS version av the controller. In my case on an iPad Mini.

The cover art for a track is obviously loaded from the router since it's shown in small size in the queue but it is not shown in the bigger lefthand box. (See image. Obiously in this example "You say that" is fetched but it's not displayed in big.) When it happens it can take a considerable time before it's shown or it's not shown at all. I find this strange since fetching the image would be the crusial part. Unpacking and displaying an image I would imagine is an extremely lightweight task for a modern iOS system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It can happen, if something on the network briefly interferes with the artwork retrieval. Sonos has a very low timeout for art.

Of course, having resolved the art request to 'nothing' the Sonos controller often persists with that impression. A full exit and restart of the app generally cures the problem. Alternatively switching between rooms or scrolling the queue can provoke the controller into making a fresh attempt.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
It can happen, if something on the network briefly interferes with the artwork retrieval. Sonos has a very low timeout for art.

Of course, having resolved the art request to 'nothing' the Sonos controller often persists with that impression. A full exit and restart of the app generally cures the problem. Alternatively switching between rooms or scrolling the queue can provoke the controller into making a fresh attempt.

Yes, but my point here is that the art is already retrieved. It shouldn't be "nothing" for the controller. The art for track "You say that" is shown in the queue but it's not shown on the left hand side while it's playing. Of course the Controller could be programmed to retrieve the art a second time when status change from queued to currently playing but that seems like a bit uneffective code to me, but it's possible.
I suspect you're correct. Each art retrieval -- for the Now Playing display, for the queue, for the notification -- is evidently a separate operation. Less efficient in terms of data traffic and storage, but it probably makes partitioning of the code a bit cleaner.