Controlling via internet / 3G

Userlevel 1
Badge
It makes no sense to use only WiFi to control Sonos devices. I turn WiFi off if not really needed to avoid unnecessary harmful radiations and of course listening to music doesn't belong to the list of activities justifying going wireless. Instead of using just broadcast over the local network, why not allowing to NAT the devices and simply configure the controller application (especially mobile apps) also for accessing via the internet?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Uhhh, do you realize that 3G uses a much stronger version of the "unnecessary harmful radiations (sic)" (as if non-ionizing radiation is actually harmful) than WiFi? Think about it . . . WiFi range is about 30 yards, whereas 3G cell tower range can be several miles. At just one mile, the transmit power needed to reach a cell tower is 58 times that of WiFi.
Userlevel 1
Badge
3G is all around you, WiFi is your responsibility. A mobile device connection may be turned on/off on purpose (if only to save battery power, see JuiceDefender apps), whereas your WiFi access point are on all the time. Your answer is no different from those who say "why not smoking, there's pollution anyway". THINK. Please.
3G is all around you, WiFi is your responsibility. A mobile device connection may be turned on/off on purpose (if only to save battery power, see JuiceDefender apps), whereas your WiFi access point are on all the time. Your answer is no different from those who say "why not smoking, there's pollution anyway". THINK. Please.
Actually, WiFi is also all around you. There is electromagnetism of all kinds freely flowing through the air at all times. There is no difference in taking a strong signal it and transmitting it via WiFi than there is in and transmitting it via 3G, except the 3G signal coming from your phone is much, much stronger. So whether you like it or not, you are "smoking" via both WiFI and 3G, but the WiFi is Carlton Ultra-Lites and 3G is Marlboro Reds.
What you have posted is, quite frankly, nonsense. I'm afraid you need to do a little more research before speaking definitively on either the use of the electromagnetic spectrum by consumer devices, or the harmful effects thereof.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Again, and then I stop, this doesn't mean that adding your own hotspot makes no difference. It's at least two more radios involved. Your mobile is connected anyway, the point is what you can have control on. I guess you're a smoker, as you didn't get the point in the first place and you keep not getting it. The basic point is that I bought a Play:5 to avoid streaming Spotify over 3G/WiFi, then I end up having to turn on my AP only for remote controlling. I don't intend to have multiple Sonos devices, so WiFi is totally useless to me. Forget the radiation thingy, I'm requesting to allow expanding the controllability thru NAT, because I find it useful to remote control music in my house when I'm out... to entertain my cats or randomly pretend that someone is in the house, for burglars. Better now? 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
I forgot to add that Bluetooth and WiFi give me headaches, no need to research whatsoever to demonstrate it, I easily recognize if I forgot then on... early adopter of both, so not against technology per se.
No, not a smoker. However, I know that comparing the energy used by an active 3G connection to the energy used by idle WiFi is nonsense. Seriously, you should read up on this stuff. 3G is not "safer" than WiFi, and if you are worried about that kind of stuff (you shouldn't be) the threat from 3G is astronomically greater than the threat from WiFi. So if you are worried about "harmful radiations", you should be giving up your 3G phone before you worry about turning off your AP.
By the way, you may want to read this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6676129.stm Especially this quote: "The Health Protection Agency has said that sitting in a wi-fi hotspot for a year results in receiving the same dose of radio waves as making a 20-minute mobile phone call."
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ya the same who approved the use of aspartame, even in medicines. Go ahead and trust them, they're independent. Solution found: Ethernet adapter for my tablet. It's only curious that Sonos doesn't produce a physical controller or add, if not a touchscreen, at least basic play/skip buttons to its devices!
The initial question is a good one. Forget all your chest puffing knowledge c@ck fighting and can anyone discuss whether controlling the sonos by 3G might be possible? Personally if I'm in the garden sometimes I lose wifi and I think it would be cool to stay connected. Maybe a vpn type connection?
It can't because UPnP, the basis for Sonos control, requires all units to be on the same subnet.

By the way, you resurrected a 4+ year old thread. I highly doubt any of the original posters requesting this feature are still here. Matter of fact, he's probably curled up in the fetal position under a mylar blanket in a tin foiled lined room. 😃
Haha. Fair point. I wonder if there could be a vpn connection to the router and then you would be on the same subnet?