Controller discontinued - not the best decision

• 8 January 2018
  • 7 replies

I have been a happy user and ambasador for Sonos for 14 years. During 14 years I have had to restart the controller once or twice. Then Sonos choosed to discontinue development of their controller. My controller "died" 4 month ago, and I was forced to substitute it with tablets and phones. Now I have nothing but trouble; most of it probably related to my wifi which is my problem and not Sonos´ problem. I prefer to use my sparetime listening to music, not trouble shooting. I can no longer reccomend Sonos.At all.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

May I ask which devices you are using?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - if you get an android tablet (like cheap Fire tablet from Amazon). You can set it up to connect direct to Sonosnet (android can do this exactly like the original controllers did). iOS devices can't do that - they have to connect to home wifi.
I do in fact use an Amazon Fire tablet as a dedicated Sonos Controller (at a fraction of the cost). As Chris states, as it can connect to SonosNet, and so wherever your old controller would work, so should the tablet. That is not true of a wifi connection, which may be your issue.
Hi all! Thank you very much for answering! I see a light at the end of the tunnel (-: I use Ipads, Iphones and a single android (Sony Xperia). I will purchase an android tablet and connect it to Sonosnet. Do you know of any other tablets than Amazon Fire that can do the trick / how do I find out whether the Android I prefer can connect to Sonosnet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I beleive all android will connect to sonosnet
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Any Android Tablet running v 4.3 or higher according to Sonos. If you want another 14yrs then i would get one running v6 (Marshmallow) or higher. Be sure to check compatibility in the future when upgrading App versions.

I use a Fire HD6 as a sonos controller. It is hopeless for almost every other task but still a bargain at £29
I wanted to weigh in with my experience transitioning from CR100 controllers to a supported method. I have 2 CR100’s, one in the house, one on the pool deck. I’m holding at 8.4, but how long before someone accidentally updates their iOS app is unknown. So, I found a used (customer return) iPad mini in new condition. Upon opening it, I found it on 10.3.3, jailbreakable! I jailbroke it, installed a beta version of App Admin, installed the Sonos app and promptly downgraded it to 8.4 before connecting to my system. This is a potential option for anyone looking to explore a new iOS device concurrent with their CR100’s for as long as possible. Good Luck!