Controller app power consumption under Oreo

• 3 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all.
I upgraded my phone to Android Oreo about a month ago and suddenly it started to use insanely amounts of power, it was really hot to the touch and the battery was drained in hours. After weeks of searching and uninstalling/reinstalling of various apps I've come to the conclusion that this only happens when the official Sonos Controller app (8.4) is installed. I feel kinda naked without that particular app so I'm keen to solve it. I haven't found any traces of anyone else with the same problem. Am I really the only one? Anyone knows what to do about it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

In the iOS world, there’s been a similar issue, which has often, but not always, gone away by turning off the lock screen controls, and also the hardware controls on the phone.

That being said, you’re the first that I remember on the Android side. Before turning anything off, you may want to submit a diagnostic from that phone, which might possibly help Sonos track down the issue.

Good luck!
I have noticed the same on a new Samsung a8. Still running nougat. Just started 2 weeks ago with Sonos and I noticed that my battery didn't last the full 24 hours it used to 2 weeks ago. Once I turned of the lock screen controls it got better just as airgetlam suggested.
Userlevel 2
Badge
You're certainly not the only one experiencing this problem.
I've been experimenting myself, in my home it is happening both on Android Oreo as well as on a Samsung S7 running Nougat. The issues started with a Sonos app release in Feb 2018..
I am guessing it has something to do with the more aggressive battery management that is introduced in Oreo. (Samsung has its own battery management). The Sonos app does not support this natively, and it could be that the app and the OS are in constant battle, resulting in a lousy battery experience.
Haven't found the solution yet. Will try the lock screen controls settings as well..