Control Sonos Volume from OS X Menu Bar

• 13 January 2014
  • 82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
We received a request for a new feature that would allow you to control the Sonos volume via the menu bar in OS X.

Let us know your thoughts on this and add a +1 if you'd like to see this feature on Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Badge +1
How is something so simple like this not a feature? For as expensive as your system is I am having 2nd thoughts about recommending it to friends for not having such basics as a menu bar controller available. Its crucial for being able to work at home and being able to pause the music.

I could go on and on about how sucky your native app already is when it comes to the user interface. Im shocked there is no iTunes interface yet.
+1 Cmon. This should be a basic feature. With Apple HomePod coming soon, I am holding off on another pair of 5's unless the simplest of functions are installed.
Badge +1
I second that notion. Unless Sonos gets it together and starts adding the basic of features I am no longer getting more Play 5s and just changing it all for the HomePod when that launches.

Edited by Max P: Due to profanity.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
I thought the API for Sonos was public ? Why haven't any enterprising startups released some decent small apps to fill these gaps?

Make them. Sell them on the Mac App Store for a few pound/dollars. Well worth a few hours coding.....
I don't think Apple allows an intercept to that key/process in their OS. It's a base level command that affects system sounds as in addition to other audio.
Badge +1
I cant believe this thread has gone on for 4 pages of +1's and still after years Sonos is failing to make the basics.
Sonos asked its customers if this was a feature they would be interested in. You would have thought they had been aware of the intercept issue before asking. They should simply say it is not possible or prioritize this. I'm with you God!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
+1, please!
So...if you get Better Touch Tool, one of it's many many amazing actions (which can be linked to keys) is to "Send Shortcut to Specific App". So while you can't really capture the volume keypress...you can if you are also pressing the FN key (FN + F11, etc)...but that's not a big deal for me, because I actually change volume in general by swiping four fingers up or down...so with Better Touch tool..you can map both.
+1. Still a problem? Really?
We received a request for a new feature that would allow you to control the Sonos volume via the menu bar in OS X.

Let us know your thoughts on this and add a +1 if you'd like to see this feature on Sonos.
+1 please, please, please make this happen!!
+1 :?
fo sho +1
+1, please!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have 4 Sonos speakers and 5 Sonos amplifiers and a bridge - all in daily use. I asked for shortcuts for certain preselected volume levels which would be Sonos application feature only - but nothing happened - feel very sad about it 😢. So you may have to find out other solutions for this another volume level controlling issue too.

This is my solution: I use Automator (use Spotlight) for a new Service which only launches Sonos application and SystemPreferences-Keyboard-Shorcuts-Services in order to connect keystroke to that Service.

I even bought Logitech Craft keyboard which has Crown for that keystroke assignment. So I can now open/activate Sonos application just by clicking that keyboard crown what ever I am doing on that moment when I will start listening Sonos or increasing/decreasing volume in the application. Without Craft you can use that shortcut created as is. In the application you can just press cmd + +/- in order to change the volume level. I programmed that in the crown too 😉. And after that I can return to my working application by cmd + tab.

So you don't need the mouse at all - whether you have the Craft keyboard or not. Of course this is not the best solution for those not so keystroke oriented not having the Craft and crown. But with the Craft crown I don't need any keystrokes except that cmd + tab when returning to the working application (Excel or whatever).

I hope this helped someone - at least until the new feature asked for has been implemented...
I was given a Play:1 for Christmas this year and it's my first experience with the Sonos system. I have been stoked with the sound and control through the mobile app so I decided to take it to work and set up the control through my Mac desktop. My plans were to buy speakers to fit out my offices, workshop, warehouse and conference room. Although I have now been totally put off buying all of this equipment all due to the simple fact that I can't quickly control the volume though my keyboard. It may seem stupid to base this decision all on this small amount of control but it's super important.

I don't have a tech understanding of programming as to why this can't be easily done, although I just don't understand why desktop apps such as Spotify can work seamlessly with keyboard controls and the Sonos app can not.

Fix it and I'll spend thousands on a fit out. Leave at and I'll find another solution.

+1
I support this feature request, but I also have some good news for those who use Spotify.

I installed an app called Finely Tuned, and it has the ability to sync the spotify volume to the system level. That means you can use system volume shortcuts F10,F11 and F12 to control spotify volume.
So...if you get Better Touch Tool, one of it's many many amazing actions (which can be linked to keys) is to "Send Shortcut to Specific App". So while you can't really capture the volume keypress...you can if you are also pressing the FN key (FN + F11, etc)...but that's not a big deal for me, because I actually change volume in general by swiping four fingers up or down...so with Better Touch tool..you can map both.Thanks man - this works perfect (I used keyboard commands instead of mouse gestures but results are the same)
I made a small App to address this issue:
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/menu-bar-controller-for-sonos/id1357379892?mt=12

Feel free to use the free version over GitHub:
https://github.com/Sn0wfreezeDev/MenuBarControllerSonos

Greetings,
Alex
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/menu-bar-controller-for-sonos/id1357379892?mt=12

Greetings,
Alex

Works well. Thanks
Badge
+ 1
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice work! I like the way you've provided both the code and a version via the App Store.
I bought the paid version. Minor defect: my PLAY:5 pair plus SUB appear as separate speakers. I created a GitHub issue: https://github.com/Sn0wfreezeDev/MenuBarControllerSonos/issues/4.

Got to agree with this as a +1. I use a device called Nuimo by senic, if you install the osx controller app then it allows you to use the cool controller to play, pause, skip and change the volume. It can also control Hue lights and some other stuff i don't have! cool but expensive
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I don't think Apple allows an intercept to that key/process in their OS. It's a base level command that affects system sounds as in addition to other audio.

I’m not entirely convinced this is correct. I have multiple audio devices hooked up to various macs via thunderbolt and can see drop downs from the mac system volume menu to control these, so I’m assuming it is both technically possible and permissable by Apple to do this for external devices.

But on the other hand the purpose of the main menu volume tool is to control volune coming FROM the Mac. Since Sonos stresms direct to device, I don’t think it would work very well. And as there is already a controler app for mac just a few mouse clcks away, I’m sure there are better features to spend time coding.

Just my 2c