Control Sonos Volume from OS X Menu Bar

• 13 January 2014
  • 82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
We received a request for a new feature that would allow you to control the Sonos volume via the menu bar in OS X.

Let us know your thoughts on this and add a +1 if you'd like to see this feature on Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Badge
+1

Yes please!
bottom line is i'm looking for a way to QUICKLY mute the audio when a call comes in; 
The Play / Pause / Skip buttons map to the Sonos controller. You can always hit Pause.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes, I want to be able to control the volume from the mac keyboard please! A hot key perhaps. A modifier key and the volume keys perhaps? Please!
That's what I'm saying. Hit pause on your keyboard. The Sonos controller will pause the music.
Oops - I misread that last reply and thought it was from who I was responding to - ignore 🙂 I agree with the general thread here - wish there was a way to do this out of the box.
+1. My use cases are:
1. Needing to mute music quickly when a call comes in
2. Playing a long playlist and be nice to know what the current song is but don't want stop what I'm doing and find the Sonos app, be great to just check the menu bar or click once on the menu bar to see the current song.

Obviously with multi-rooms and differnet groups this is slightly more complicated that a menu bar control for spotify or iTunes but I think it would be ok to have the menu bar app focus on one selected room/group. Then make it easy to switch between groups/rooms.
Wow I see this post is from 2 years ago... crazy it is still not implemented as a standard function.
Userlevel 2
As a new user, I can definitely say this would be an appreciated feature -- it seems like an obvious omission, which is why I went looking for a way to do it so quickly after getting my first Sonos gear.

All it would take is a small and separate menu bar applet with a volume slider, and 3 items on the menu -- Play/Pause, Next Track, Previous Track. Please consider this, as well as an official Apple Watch applet. The sonos app is fantastic, and it seems to me like the overlap between Sonos users and Apple Watch owners might be significant, considering the watch is an always-available remote control. I really loved using my Apple Watch to control my previous AirPlay speakers, and it's one of the more painful aspects of the transition.
I'm on the latest iOS on an iPad Air 2 and only the forward and back buttons work – play/pause, mute and volume up and down do not work.

Is there a reason why only these two buttons work? Having control over the volume (mute being the most important) is critical without having to find your way back to the app to do this.

I understand that this thread was created to discuss this, but I can't find any SONOS moderators chirping in with comments since the thread started.
I'm on the latest iOS on an iPad Air 2 and only the forward and back buttons work – play/pause, mute and volume up and down do not work.

Is there a reason why only these two buttons work? Having control over the volume (mute being the most important) is critical without having to find your way back to the app to do this.

I understand that this thread was created to discuss this, but I can't find any SONOS moderators chirping in with comments since the thread started.

Wait... volume buttons (but not mute) work when the Sonos app is OPEN, however that function is eliminated the moment you step out of the app. Forward and back definitely work when not in the app.
Dak

Can I suggest you reboot your iPad Air2? It sounds like there's something odd going on. I use 2 different iPad Air 2s to control my various speakers, and have not experienced this issue you're talking about at all. All buttons work both in the app, and on the lock screen.

If that doesn't clear up the issue, I'd recommend deleting the app completely, doing the hard reboot again, and then reinstalling it.
Badge
Well, this is a two year old thread but nevertheless, +1 on menu bar controls. And while we're at it, please add MacBook Pro Touch Bar controls too.
Very much +1.

The ability to control Sonos via the Spotify app is what finally made me buy Sonos speakers. Now, for Spotify, I am used to using the Mac's physical volume buttons. I do this easily 10+ times a day (at work, at home). But now when connected to Sonos, that doesn't work. The inconvenience really adds up quickly.
Yes, please. +1
Yes +1 😳
+1please
+1

We received a request for a new feature that would allow you to control the Sonos volume via the menu bar in OS X.

Let us know your thoughts on this and add a +1 if you'd like to see this feature on Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Not interested. I'd rather prefer to keep the volume control for Sonos and the system volume sound apart.
Interested (+1)
Though I'd prefer it be something more like iTunes with Command Up/Dn arrows and Command L/R arrows for track. The space bar is already pause and start.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
+1 for TouchBar support
+1. ALso, playlist folders
+1 for controlling volume from keypad. It only takes 1 finger whereas sonos app requires 2!
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Absolutely - yes - in the absence of having native iTunes support! :8
+1! Seams obvious 🙂
Badge +1
Absolutely - yes - in the absence of having native iTunes support! :8
This.