Control Sonos Volume from OS X Menu Bar

• 13 January 2014
  • 82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
We received a request for a new feature that would allow you to control the Sonos volume via the menu bar in OS X.

Let us know your thoughts on this and add a +1 if you'd like to see this feature on Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Userlevel 2
Plus basic controls such as advance to next song.
Plus basic controls such as advance to next song.
Volume, next, back, play, pause would all be great. Please check out a great app the allows toolbar control for iTunes, called Tune Instructor (http://www.tune-instructor.com/com/). There's way more than necessary for Sonos, but it will give you some good thoughts/ideas on an elegant app. The main feature that would be nice is to not have to have the full Sonos app running.
Another great example is Skip Tunes...elegant, functional simplicity. Please provide this functionality for Macs.
+1. Great idea. Similar to iTunes toolbars like Synergy. This would add a lot of value.
+1 for sure.
Using the keyboard audio control would also be amazing. On my Mac Pro F7 to F12 are dedicated to sound. It would be great if they worked with Sonos. I believe they are functional in other 3rd party apps like Spotify. 
+1, definitely; need easy access without having to pull up the app
+1!!! Would love it! Was just thinking about it today..
alternatively, why can't the controller use the volume keys on apple's wireless keyboard?  perhaps that's an apple issue, and therefore more difficult than an icon in the menu bar
bottom line is i'm looking for a way to QUICKLY mute the audio when a call comes in; 
+1 would be very helpful
+1
I agree with previous posts that being able to control the Sonos app with the keyboard controls would be a very awesome addition.
+1 - It would be amazing to control the app from the menu bar, or the dedicated Apple controls. PLEASE, Please, please make this happen!!!! 🙂
+1
Yep, I'd also love this. 
Yes, Sonos should be controllable from the Menu Bar with all the controls available as drop down. This posting started 1 year ago. Any progress?
+1 I'm a new user to Sonos. Love the speakers but I must be honest I am really disappointed with lack of basic functionality like this. 
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1
Yep. Definitely needed, along with universal keyboard control support.
+1 even just ability to control volume would be a game changer
Menu Bar is good - but keyboard control with at least a quick mute/pause keystroke action would be my favourite too!
Thanks for providing such a good system to us and that you are still chasing on new features.
Yes, please! I swear that, at some point, I was able to control the volume via volume controls on my keyboard. It was force of habit and I remember thinking it wasn't possible. I haven't been able to do it again. This would be an extremely helpful feature.
Userlevel 2
+1 Yes Yes Yes!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
2 years later, adding to the chorus:

YES, PLEASE
+1 SO MUCH
Yes +1 and also from the iPad / iPhone hardware buttons, when the app is running in the background.